• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragonball Z Seasons 1 & 2 Redub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:25 pm Reply with quote
At AnimeFest 2004, Kyle Hebert (Narrator/Teen Gohan, Dragonball Z; Adult Gohan, Dragonball GT) announced that FUNimation, in 2005, will release a complete redub of Dragonball Z Seasons 1 & 2 (The Saiyan Saga and The Namek Saga). The original dub, produced by Saban and The Ocean Group, and distributed by Geneon (Pioneer at the time), was severely edited to meet broadcast standards (they couldn't even say "kill"). In the new FUNimation dub, Kyle will return to his role as the narrator and also play the role of Chi-Chi's father, Ox King. And of course, a new soundtrack will be added [this would be Seasons 1 & 2's third soundtrack; first the Japanese, then the Saban version, now the FUNi version]). It is unknown as of now whether the first three movies (Tree of Might, The World's Strongest and Dead Zone will be redubbed or not or if the redub will air on Cartoon Network.

This was originally announced on this site in 2002. Apparently, FUNimation ignored it for over a year.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Probably FUNimation is still working on Dragonball GT. Maybe after they're finished with that series, they'll starting working on the redub.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Looking back at when DBZ was first aired, I don't think it was Funi's fault that the Saiyan saga got screwed up. It was Saban and Ocean Group's since they're the ones who owned DBZ. Funi may have dubbed it but Saban and Ocean group were the ones who may have decided to get it edited and not get them released on dvd uncut. I think after all this time, all the Funi-haters have been bashing the wrong company.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:41 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Probably FUNimation is still working on Dragonball GT. Maybe after they're finished with that series, they'll starting working on the redub.

They should be done with GT by now. Volume 15 (with the last episode on it) was released back in May, and I'm sure the skipped episodes have been finished since then so they should be well into redubing Z.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Even though I don't care that much about DBZ, its always good news when an anime gets uncut and a more accurate dub is made to replace the old wack one.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:05 pm Reply with quote
This should prove that no one can say FUNi doesn't care about the fans, as it's likely that no one other than hardcore DBZ fans will even buy this.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, its also a way to milk more money out of the license. However, I think this concept is generally a good idea since I'd like to see more redubs for other series.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Of course redubs are only good if they're better than the originals. I still prefer the original 3x3 Eyes dubs over the Pioneer/Geneon redub and am partial to the original Akira dub.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:57 am Reply with quote
I think I'm one of few people who acctually liked Saban's dub music soundtrack. Not to mention the early episodes definently looked a decent amount more polished than later sagas.

And the death thing, do they even say death now? I think I still hear "I'm gonna take you to the next dimension, rofl."

Yeah. I think this is somewhat of a waste of time, but whatever. If it makes the majority happy, then by all means, they can milk it however they want.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:31 am Reply with quote
References to death, and acts of killing, are in episodes 54-276, and whatever.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
Looking back at when DBZ was first aired, I don't think it was Funi's fault that the Saiyan saga got screwed up. It was Saban and Ocean Group's since they're the ones who owned DBZ. Funi may have dubbed it but Saban and Ocean group were the ones who may have decided to get it edited and not get them released on dvd uncut. I think after all this time, all the Funi-haters have been bashing the wrong company.

Actually, Saban did all the editing. Like any other voice acting group, Ocean just dubbed it in accordance to what Saban wanted; the "next dimension" and "Home For Infinite Losers" lines are funny to hear now, but aside from all of the cheesiness that still is the "Saban cut" I'd much rather listen to the Ocean voices over FUNi's cast.

Not to say that I still hold anything against them, but that's just the way I grew up watching the series. Razz

I'm sure the first 3 movies will be left alone since they're already uncut and dubbed to excellence anyway (with the original music, mind you Wink). If they (FUNi) were to go back and redo those, it'd just be a waste of their resources when they could use it for other things like Gunslinger Girl and Samurai 7.

I'm glad they're redoing the first 2 seasons since I've never seen them uncut, though, I'd better get the Pioneer Saiyan Box before it becomes a rarity Anime smile + sweatdrop.
ReIN-Karnated@042

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Currently in South Africa we just finnished the Buu Saga (I know we're way behind) Crying or Very sad !

But I have question about DB GT ...
Arrow Is it made by Funi or basically all the original set/cast.
Is that tens times better then the other DBZ saga's and Why didn't they show DB (if I'm correct when Ghoku was a child) in alot of Countries?

When I think of remade it always seem to me they improve on the aspects that were critised by the original!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quote
ReIN-Karnated@042 wrote:
But I have question about DB GT ...
Arrow Is it made by Funi or basically all the original set/cast.
Is that tens times better then the other DBZ saga's and Why didn't they show DB (if I'm correct when Ghoku was a child) in alot of Countries?

Hmm. If I understand your question correctly, are you asking if FUNi made GT? Well, yes they dubbed, edited, and distributed the series, but they didn't create it.

Akira Toriyama created the original Dragon Ball and later made DBZ.

If I remember correctly, I believe he had nothing to do with GT's creation except for approving the use of his character designs, and that Toei or Fuji or whoever was just making the show to generate some extra profits over the recent (at the time) DBZ craze that was in Japan.

I've seen maybe like, 4 episodes of GT and I didn't really like it. Heck, it was even in Japanese, and I didn't like it. But then again, it was only 4 episodes Razz, so maybe I'd like it a little more if I saw the whole thing.

Anyway, stick with the original DB and Z. Wink
ReIN-Karnated@042

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:23 pm Reply with quote
[quote]I've seen maybe like, 4 episodes of GT and I didn't really like it. Heck, it was even in Japanese, and I didn't like it. But then again, it was only 4 episodes [/quote

So you're saying that First Impressions last with you Confused , well there's nothing wrong with that but I guess the saying comes in to place " you can't judge a book by its cover" Rolling Eyes .

I'll watch it then come to you on that Tony K, if I ever get it!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quote
ReIN-Karnated@042 wrote:
So you're saying that First Impressions last with you Confused , well there's nothing wrong with that but I guess the saying comes in to place " you can't judge a book by its cover" Rolling Eyes .

Well, like I said, if I saw all of GT, I might like it more. The 4 episodes I saw were on a crappy fansub tape almost 7 years ago. Razz

As much as people bash on the world of Dragon Ball, I actually kind of like Z (haven't seen much of the original or GT).

And I usually don't jump to conclusions like you think I may be, sorry if I misled you. In fact, I used to hate FUNimation with a passion when they took over DBZ's production. But that was then, and this now.

My only problem with their DBZ is the dubbing, but that's all easily resolved on DVD, and I thank them for finally providing the show in Japanese. Smile

I know back then they were still rookies, and of couse as all rookies do, they had to experience some "growing pains," so to speak.

I haven't really seen anything of theirs since DB/Z/GT, except for Tenchi GXP, and I think they're a lot better now as opposed to 5 or 6 years ago.

Please, don't get me wrong here, I'm just saying that from the first 4 eps, I saw, GT didn't really seem that interesting. So please allow me to apologize if I misinterpreted anything or got you riled up, OK? Wink

(*bows*)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2