• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Don't you hate it when people discriminate because it's anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
My mom and Nana were talking about how my dad likes to bring in historical movies to show his students ( he's an adult ed teacher at the state penn) and I suggested he bring in the movie Grave of the Fireflies since thats a historical movie, and you know what I get? I get this from my mom " That's an anime right? Your dad is not going to bring in an anime movie to show his students." And she's never even seen the movie to judge it! Have you ever been in a situation like this? If so please post a comment, becuase I'm very interested in hearing from you guys. Maybe someday we can live in a world where anime movies are not discriminated against other movies and art works.

[EDIT: Made your thread title a little less long-winded. -TK]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
There is nothing you can do about it. My mom thinks it silly that I watch Japanese "cartoons", since she assumes anime would be similar to americans cartoons, in other words made for little kids. I don't even bother explaining to her that anime has no boundaries and some are made for mature viewers, but I just let it pass.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I have nobody in my real-world life that has much interest in anime at all. My wife won't even try to watch it. My Japanese business associates are perplexed as to why I watch it.

Their loss.

Of course if I judged anime based on 90% of what I have watched and is actually in my collection, I would conclude that it is a waste of time. That other 10% is what keeps me coming back.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
If they ask, I tell them I'm a patron of "visual media" instead of "anime". Sounds cooler.
zatheus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
My parents, back when I lived with them, thought the same thing about anime. For some reason now when they come over and see that I have Ugly Americans, South Park, Family Guy or something like that on Netflix they don't say anything because those are American cartoons and they are not really kiddy. They do look at my anime collection every once and a while and say something along the lines of couldn't I save more, instead of spending it. At my age I agree and thanks to Netflix streaming anime is less expensive then buying it like I use to.
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
My mom and Nana were talking about how my dad likes to bring in historical movies to show his students ( he's an adult ed teacher at the state penn) and I suggested he bring in the movie Grave of the Fireflies since thats a historical movie, and you know what I get? I get this from my mom " That's an anime right? Your dad is not going to bring in an anime movie to show his students." And she's never even seen the movie to judge it! Have you ever been in a situation like this? If so please post a comment, becuase I'm very interested in hearing from you guys. Maybe someday we can live in a world where anime movies are not discriminated against other movies and art works.

Or, we can live in a decade when regular people hear "anime" and NOT think you're showing them tentacle hentai...
(Sheesh, that one even made me feel old!) Rolling Eyes
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Their loss.

Pretty much sums it up really.
My mates say they dont like it and when I ask if they have actually bothered to sit and watch any properly they say, ''I've seen Akira and I didn't like that so I dont like anime''

Or my favourite one is even though they haven't watched any anime they say ''Im just not into that sort of thing''.

If people are too narrow minded and lack the imagination to even give anime a go then let em be.

I couldnt care less what they think of me and I regularly post my favourite videos and trailers from you tube on facebook because I know it winds them up. Other than my ex girlfriend who I met at a con, who Ironically my mates set me up with when they met her whilst shooting, I have no one at all that I can talk to anime about.
I post stuff on my facebook and nobody has the guts to comment on any of the videos which gives me more amusement that you can imagine. It like they think it's a dirty hobby.

Having said this, whilst I was at uni 3 or 4 years ago, my friends I made there were sceptical at first but sat and watched and gave me an honest opinion on more than a few occasions which I forever respect. There was a situation which I wont go into much on here that involved a certain mind bending hallucinogen popular in the 60's ( They spiked my ham roll ) and because they felt guitly when I predictably blew my lid they said they would sit down and watch whatever I wanted on tv to pass the time. I said I was going to watch End Of Evangelion. They all sat there and said nothing, absolutly nothing for the entirety of the film. I still haven't got my boxset back off of one of them yet and the rest tell me they are scarred for life.
My point here is that some people dont have the interest there in the first place to even bother with it. You cant force people to watch stuff but I tend to find that when they do sit down and are given the right sort of series to watch, they tend to enjoy it. I did this with a mate that came into my room whilst I was watching Macross frontier and he sat and watched the whole thing with me in the end. He was bored and had nothing to do at all and took a chance and found he enjoyed it.

Like I said it's thier loss. Most of my mates problem is they cant possibly imagine enjoying something that isnt ''real''.
I say to them, how do you read books and enjoy those then and they cant ever give me an answer.

My favourite conversation with them was when my mates talked about what a great film 'the matrix' was. I pointed out to them that without ghost in the shell, which they at least know of, they wouldnt have had the Matrix at all which put them all on the defensive.
Im not going to force it on them or anything but they should at least allow me to enjoy it and not wind me up about it all the time.
Masakisu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
Hypocrisy abounds in this kind of subject: my parents find it silly that I watch anime and read manga/light novels (they humour me on it though), and even give me strange looks when I mention I'm watching Digimon or some other show from my childhood... yet they will happily turn around and watch a show from their childhood without batting an eyelid. Rather funny, tbh.

Then there's most of my peers who assume that most anime is crap and full of tentacle rape. Well, it's not like most weeaboos don't give them a reason to think that, but it's still a ridiculous prejudice.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Aside from mentioning that respected film critics such as Roger Ebert consider it an incredibly important historical movie, there's not much else you can do.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:

My mates say they don't like it and when I ask if they have actually bothered to sit and watch any properly they say, ''I've seen Akira and I didn't like that so I don't like anime''

(Hate to keep reminding the fans, but please, people, learn from example:
Have some compassion for the new guy--DON"T recommend Akira, Fireflies or Evangelion for the first viewing. We know you're enthusiastic, but have we yet learned how much we're just hurting ourselves?) Sad
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Smile I didn't reccomend any of these as first viewings. I forced them all to watch EoE for the obvious reasons that if I'm going to sit there suffering for the next 10 hours because they pulled a prank of that magnitude and stupidity on me, I'm going to make them suffer aswell. But it ended up 50% backfirering on me with most of them enjoying it in the state they were in. I was the poor sod that had to deal with all the questions afterwards.

I dont see what is wrong with fireflies either. That was how I was introduced to anime before I watched Sailor moon.

Akira is just one of those shows that because it is famous, people tend to have seen and as much as Akira is considered a master piece by many (I thought it was boring), it does seem put more people off watching anime that it does dragging them in.

What would you suggest as a good first series out of interest? I've had my mates from uni sit and watch Gunslinger girl, macross frontier,speed grapher and the rebuild EVA films as thier anime cherry when they were bored or came into my room drunk at silly oclock.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
Aside from mentioning that respected film critics such as Roger Ebert consider it an incredibly important historical movie, there's not much else you can do.

The fact he had to say it makes him 'rethink' his stance on animation though is a backhanded compliment, since it's no real secret he holds animation and video games as 'not art' in general and one movie won't change that.

And I think people's bias stems less 'anime' and more 'animation' in general.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
noigeL wrote:

The fact he had to say it makes him 'rethink' his stance on animation though is a backhanded compliment, since it's no real secret he holds animation and video games as 'not art' in general and one movie won't change that.

I'm quite sure what purpose this comment is meant to serve, but whatever it is, it doesn't seem very well founded. I don't think that I've ever read or heard him express an opinion about animation similar to that as he has about video games. Even if you can dredge a handful of examples up, the evidence weighs toward his liking animation. He he wrote about Grave of the Fireflies for his 'Great Movies' series and also suggested it be used to defend anime against unfair generalizations. He has praised not just the works of Hayao Miyazaki, which are something of a critical gimme, but also, to varying degrees, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise, Metropolis, Ghost in the Shell, Tōkyō Godfathers and, surprisingly given its relative obscurity, Rōjin Z. He also said at the end of reviewing Prince of Egypt that he loves animation, especially when it goes off the beaten path and that it can deal with great stories and great concepts. Given that he's a mainstream critic with a lot of other films to keep him busy, I think that he's as friendly to anime and animation as one will find outside of the caves and rock-bottoms of otakudom.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
airman4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
@Ikari1

Oh you too ? you too ?
haha we are just in the same boat lol

And yes , posting sakugas or itano circus videos on facebook is really funny since they don't even know how to react since rihanna videos and stupid cat videos are just the normal norm , but i laugh every time my videos are ignored.

But facebook is kinda useful to show who are really close to you and sometimes it's just depressing .(and funny)

Ps : i want to post a load videos of madoka and another now >.<
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Once in a while, one of my "I really don't like anime" friends talk to me about how they don't like anime (whether it be because they see or hear me watching or talking about it, or they decide to bring up my love of anime for a jab at me). It never really fazes me; I look at it as an opportunity to promote the good aspects of anime and to rip apart their close-mindedness and tastes in media (if I know what they are). It is a shame that there is bias against animation in general, but I've learned that some people can't really change their mental classifications once they're established.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5