• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yami No Matsuei???

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animeaddict92

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:48 pm Reply with quote
any reviews or information on Yami No Matsuei? it was relased in america under the title: Descendants of Darkness....
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Uh, Encyclopedia?

Seriously check there next time.
animeaddict92

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:22 pm Reply with quote
yeah i already went there...i was just wanting to see if anyone had seen it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:42 pm Reply with quote
before you buy it, be aware that this show is bishounen. a lot of people make this mistake.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:20 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
before you buy it, be aware that this show is bishounen. a lot of people make this mistake.

Actually the bishounen part is actually not too bad. The shounen-ai overtones may cause you to become squemish if you're not used to it.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:28 am Reply with quote
I love it. The manga's just come out from Viz also.
Some might be squeamish at a bunch of beautiful guys being tormented mercilessly while being attracted to one another. Muraki is a cool psycho--kidnaps people to force Tsuzuki to go on a date with him, gives him roses, tries to win him for the night in a card game.
Each of the 4 dvds in the set is a story arc rather than a bunch of single eps & Muraki's involved in 3 of the 4 stories, including the climactic battle on the last dvd. It's wonderfully depressing in places.
I love the music, the art is wonderful, & the dub isnt bad. Tsuzuki is Dan Green(Yugi/Pharaoh-YuGiOh, Kyo/Kyoshiro-Samurai Deeper Kyo) in English & Shinichiro Miki(Yohji/Weiss Kreuz) in Japanese, Hisoka is Liam O'Brian(Taishi/Comic Party) & Mayumi Asano. Muraki is Edward MacLeod & Sho Hayami(Nobunaga/Samurai Deeper Kyo).
animeaddict92

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:59 am Reply with quote
i don't really have a problem with those things. maybe i'll check out the manga, it's cheaper... --__--
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quote
animeaddict92 wrote:
i don't really have a problem with those things. maybe i'll check out the manga, it's cheaper... --__--

...and unfinished. Sad
animeaddict92

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:14 pm Reply with quote
what do you mean?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:21 pm Reply with quote
The manga is either on hiatus or got cancelled or is just plain unfinished...so once we hit volume 11...I don't know what's going to happen. That's what I mean.
animeaddict92

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:26 pm Reply with quote
ohh....
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I've read it's ongoing, but not her main title. She writes chapters as she feels like it.
Kanae

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:20 pm Reply with quote
The manga is pretty good, so far as I've seen (I've read scanlations up through the middle of volume 5). The anime is excellent, although I have one caveat: DO NOT WATCH THE DUB. It's not the worst I've ever seen, but it's not all that great, either. Dub!Muraki has this annoying nasal voice, whereas his sub voice is more what you'd expect from his character -- very deep and musical. He's supposed to be a seductive character, and he needs a seductive voice. They used an adult to do Hisoka's voice, and it ends up being a little too deep for him -- it ends up sounding very odd. Watari's voice actor starts out okay, but gradually sounds nuttier and nuttier -- during the Kyoto arc, he sounds like he's on crack. The translations for the dub are a little odd in places, and there's a scene in the King of Swords arc that just doesn't flow at all well in English (spoiler[Tsuzuki tries to speak to a group of American bodyguards in very fractured and poor English; the scene is very funny in Japanese with a little English, but translated it doesn't make a lot of sense]).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:32 am Reply with quote
I think it was this show that started my daughter & I checking the English-speaking skills of Japanese V.A.'s. I was impressed with Sho Hayami's English--the phrase was off, but he said it very well. And he's one of my fav V.A.'s--he has a great voice. I like the English Hisoaka(wasn't it a chick in Japan?)-Liam O'Brien(Taishi/Comic PArty--he's so insane in that one.) And Tsuzuki is Shinichiro Miki in Japanese. They seem to like at least one or two deep voices in their yaoi(Jyrouta Kosugi/Boku no Sexual Harrassmant, Shinichiro Miki/Level C, Takehito Koyasu's in both also in smaller roles.) Sho Hayami's in Mirage of Blaze as I recall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1