• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Nostalgia Critic reviews Ponyo.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
For those who don't know, the Nostalgia Critic is an internet reviewer who primary makes sarcastic reviews of old movies from the 80's and 90's. While he did do the Little Nemo movie, and generally speaks very highly of Hayao Miyazaki, up to this point he has never reviewed an anime film.

However, for his 200th episode, he chose to review/make fun of Ponyo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Y-usTb1lQ
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Ponyo has it's charms, but personally, I felt it was one of the weaker Ghibli films out there. Confused

Gotta agree with him that the whole "the end of the world" thing was unnecessary. On the other hand...I don't think he understands that the mother's driving was meant to be comedic.

And glad he pointed out the crappy voice acting. Sousuke was supposed to be 5 right?

Last edited by Gon*Gon on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
This guy is still around? I'd had hope him and the rest of his site died off after the huge hypocrisy surrounding The Room. He stopped reviewing 'nostalgic' stuff long ago and pretty much just became the 'bad movies critic', and Ponyo is hardly a bad movie.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Trope for you?
He is usually very civil about his opinions, so he does here- while he stress some stupid stuff (yes, leaving alone 5 years old in middle of the typhoon is surely a sign of parent's trust for children maturity and giant flood causes no death (at least on screen)) he actually seems to like that film more that it deserves (all my hate to that girl!). I just don't understand last moment mob hysteric attitude towards "Howl's Moving Castle".
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Do have to agree with a number of the criticisms that the Critic raised for the movie and that I found it among one of the weaker works from Ghibli. The anime brought up ideas in which it seemed like it was trying to establish some moral theme like man's pollution of the ocean and even tossed around elements of fantasy involving Ponyo's parents. However, these elements turn out just to be a backdrop to the developments of Sousuke and Ponyo's bond. I also found my sense of believability to have been tossed out the window with spoiler[how well the townsfolk got by when Ponyo's magic resulted in the flooding of their town.] I know this is supposed to be a kids movie, but I would think there would be some kind of concern over people spoiler[losing their personal possessions and homes to flooding].

The Critic poking fun of Ponyo's love of ham by making her seem like a demon gave me enough laughter throughout the review.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
This guy is still around? I'd had hope him and the rest of his site died off after the huge hypocrisy surrounding The Room.

You mean when the guy who made the film bitched and whined until NC took the review down and made fun of what a loser that guy is? How was that hypocrisy on his part?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1