• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fios is dropping the FUNimation Channel.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
As of March 15th.

Kind of disappointing, I have Fios for the internet, the Funimation channel was nice to have on in the background when cooking or doing housework.... except for those awful "as seen on TV" ads for food containers and slushee makers.

Quote:
Dear Customer,

On, or after, March 15 2012, Funimation (channel 262) and Bridges TV (channel 278) will be removed from the FiOS TV® lineup and you will no longer be able to view this content.

This programming has been discontinued due to very low viewership and the continued effort of Verizon to offer our customers the most popular channels while keeping our rates reasonable.

We appreciate your loyalty to Verizon FiOS TV and apologize for any inconvenience.
Remember that you can access the most current local TV line-up 24 hours a day/7 days a week at verizon.com/fiostvchannels.

Thank you for choosing Verizon.

Sincerely,
Verizon
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I never got the Funimation Channel. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
This is very sad to hear. I was getting quite a few series and movies under my belt which were in my "would like to see but not enough to buy blind" category since I switched to Fios.

Right now, I've been running through Black Butler, so it looks like I probably won't see all of that on air and will have a decision to make about whether or not I've been liking it enough to buy Season 2 blind (as well as obviously also then picking up the first season as well). Down the road, I was really looking forward to catching the last two Rebuild of Evangelion movies once they aired and seeing how the reboot played out. I had thought the original series was okay with one outstanding scene, watched the two movies because of all the hoopla, and liked them enough that I'm mulling over buying them - so if the Funi channel does go down I'm going to have to make a decision about that as well when the time comes.

Thanks for the news, Gewurtztraminer. At least we know not to start a new series on Funi at this point if the decision is final and there's nothing increased viewership would do to change their mind.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
My cable provider seems to have dropped Funimation On Demand from it's service as well. I never actually had access to the channel itself, but perhaps, this is happening because Funimation launched their new online service.
chefneer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
Well that sucks. When I had FiOS in Texas I watched the Funi channel all the time. I was looking forward to getting it again, next time I'm in a area that has FiOS.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
but perhaps, this is happening because Funimation launched their new online service.

Quote:
This programming has been discontinued due to very low viewership and the continued effort of Verizon to offer our customers the most popular channels while keeping our rates reasonable.

This kind of thing doesn't happen in a few months, it probably never had reasonable viewership the entire time it was on Fios regardless what Funi was or wasn't doing with an online service.
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
I know it wasn't getting great ratings but it still kind of sucks since It was one of only five or six channels I ever watch, the others all being in my 120-130 block. Stuff like the science channel and national geographic, but they're in rerun mode the majority of the year other than things like ice road truckers and deadliest catch type shows, which I can not stand by the way. I am now sad at the apparent death of television entertainment in my household. The thing is I have 400 plus channels and I still can't find anything I want to watch. Funimation was one of the few things I could turn to for white noise, since they also seem to be in rerun mode most of the time, but as I tend t watch everything I like as soon as it shows up it may be my fault that most of the time its just repeat episodes.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Here in the UK there's never anything good on the telly, I wish we had a Funi channel. Or just more anime on the telly that isn't a Ghibli filem or a kids show.
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
These days more and more channels that are tailored to specific groups are all going VOD. I'm not surprised that Funimation couldn't keep charter interested in having just a linear channel.

The anime network has been doing VOD for a while now, which Probably made charter see that it wasnt worth keeping a linear channel and VOD for what could basicially be the same shows. (I believe The Anime network gets some of it's shows from FUnimation)

So I can complete see why they are being kicked off Fios.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
TAN's video-on-demand service costs an extra $9 per month on FiOS. I'm happier sending my money to Crunchyroll where I can watch shows like Kemono no Sou-ja Erin and Usagi Drop. It's rare that neo-ADV licenses anything I'm interested in watching.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
TAN's video-on-demand service costs an extra $9 per month on FiOS. I'm happier sending my money to Crunchyroll where I can watch shows like Kemono no Sou-ja Erin and Usagi Drop. It's rare that neo-ADV licenses anything I'm interested in watching.

Thats exactly why I'm at crunchyroll right now. The most simal-casts and a lot of completed series in just subbed formats are there. Plus only 60 bucks for the year is AWESOME
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1