• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation's video player issues on their site.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone noticed issues with Funimations video player. I have noticed the streams from there site and not working at all today 2/19/2012. I also noticed many people think its a server issue.

I can not play a stream from there site as of today. i get a error message there is no stream when i try and use the site. hulu is working.

I wonder how many people subscribed and noticed player issues as well with Funimations service and how this compares to Crunchyrolls service that now offers 1080p service.

What do you think is the best place to play legal streams from the internet for the player issues?

Thanks
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Had absolutely zero issue loading the newest One Piece episode with the Funimation video player just now. Are you referring to the new elite subscriber streams?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Has anyone noticed issues with Funimations video player.

I didn't see any issue with their player during my trial subscription, but the overall server performance was so horrendous, I opted to terminate my free trial two days into its limited availability.

Quote:
What do you think is the best place to play legal streams from the internet for the player issues?

Crunchyroll still remains the best. TAN's services are even more horrid than FUNimation's and NicoNico is a social networking site first, streaming site second (as noted by many who feel the streaming components are secondary).

Despite all this, however, the best places to offer streaming still belong to the fan sub sites.

That's just pathetic.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:

Crunchyroll offers the highest-quality streams and their player will play at full-screen size without losing visual quality. However, I've noticed more of a tendency to stutter the picture and crash, especially at the highest resolutions. (This could be partly that my laptop just isn't up to sufficient processing speed, though.)

NicoNico gives the most reliably smooth playback experience with respectable visual quality, but you can't get a true full-screen experience from them.

Funimation and Hulu's players (which ANN also uses) I dislike relying on if I can avoid it because of the commercials that they insert and because they tend to lose a lot on visual quality if you go to full-screen. (Crashes, while not common, are not unheard-of.) Even in smaller sizes, though, their visual quality isn't great; about the same level as a a better YouTube clip.

TAN's player does offer an HD option that looks great in either regular size or full-screen mode but my laptop isn't up to specs for handling the latter without a lot of stuttering.

In my experience, illegal streams are rarely bastions of visual quality. They tend to either use lower-quality streams (240 level) or have no option to go to full-screen or both. I'd rather rely on torrented fansubs if I have to go that direction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Catseyetiger wrote:

Crunchyroll offers the highest-quality streams and their player will play at full-screen size without losing visual quality. However, I've noticed more of a tendency to stutter the picture and crash, especially at the highest resolutions. (This could be partly that my laptop just isn't up to sufficient processing speed, though.)
Ya, Crunchyroll is the best streaming service I know of. The quality is really good. I have noticed that it stutters every now and then and I have to reload the page, but that doesn't happen very often (maybe once every 3 episodes). I also love how the video doesn't have to buffer. Just for that alone Crunchyroll gets a medal in my book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1