• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Would it be possible to crave a boon?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Namely, this:

Could the site somehow be set up so as to disallow further registration by new users with usernames that contain the substrings "inu" and "yasha" and.... well, you get the idea. There are so many repeats of these that it's getting so that I'm having a hard time telling them all apart.

Maybe I'm just getting old and Alzheimer-ish, but I really think that the least a new user owes the rest of the forum community is a smidgeon of originality in choosing a username. It's okay to name yourself for a favourite anime character, especially if it's an obscure one - but to choose essentially the same name as dozens of other users, with only slight variations, is just pitiful.

No offense to all the present Inus and Yashas on the forum. I just thought, "enough is enough".

There, that's off my chest... Rolling Eyes Phew!

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:32 am Reply with quote
I agree that there're a lot of Inus and Yashas, as you said. This reminds me other forums were we use to say "Here comes one of the 1,683,940 Miakas of the forum.

However, I don't think ANN can do something like this. First of all, it goes agaisnt the wishes of everyone who wants to have a nick like that, and well, not allowing to have a nick like those just because an among of users already have it...But that's just what I think.

Of course, one possibe option would be, before the registering, at the rules or wherever, say something as "Please, we'd like if you choose an original nickname, we already have a lot of Narutos, Inuyashas, etc."

But that's something that the staff will decide.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
One related question: Does ANN retire (i.e. delete) accounts if an account has not been logged in for, say, over a year? Otherwise popular account names would soon be fully occupied and people would have to add numbers after their name, just like those free email accounts. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:49 pm Reply with quote
No. I checked the Memberlist out of curiosity once, and I think Tempest has 2 accounts. The one he uses now and another one he created, for which I have no idea what the purpose was/is.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I suppose I can always go the path of least resistance and just call them all "Hey, you!"

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Most webistes with users, admins, forums and that stuff, usually they have a copy of the main administrator, which is never used. As an example, if by any reason, Tempest's account wouldn't work, he would just (while they try to repair it), use the "safety copy", which, as I said, I believe it has the same Administration Powers.

Consider it as a Safety Copy.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Heheh. If I were Tempest, my backup account would be named Teacup. Cool

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1