• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone knows this movie? [Little Nemo]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
There's this movie called Nemo and it's about 10 years old or something. I remember seeing it once. It's about this boy named Nemo who is taken to this dreamland and he has to save the dreamland kingdom from this Nightmare King thingy. One scene I remembered is when Nemo's bed starts to fly and he's flying over the city. There was also a video game done by Capcom based on this movie for the NES. Anyone seen it?
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Is it an anime?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
No, it's not an anime. Oh, give me strength...

It's a movie, Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (1992), based on the classic comic art of Winsor McCay (1871-1934). The screenplay was done by such luminaries and luminaries-to-be as Ray Bradbury and Chris Columbus. It was directed by Masami Hata, Masanori Hata and William T. Hurtz. Sadly, the movie was not a great success. Partly because it failed to appeal to an audience weaned on blow-'em-up-and-shoot-the-twitching-remains movies, and partly because it never quite achieved the genteel charm of the original strips.

Little Nemo is old - it was first animated in 1911 - and Winsor McCay was himself something of an animation pioneer. He's the one who made the classic Gertie the Dinosaur (1914), for instance.

For Ghu's sake, folks - this one ought to be something you knew already. It's a classic of Western comic art, like The Yellow Kid, The Katzenjammer Kids, the Peanuts or Prince Valiant. If I were grading you on a test, you'd be facing big fat Fs right now.

- abunai

It's like saying: "Clark Kent? Who's that?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:36 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
No, it's not an anime. [/size]

Well, it's a Japanese / US co-production. The script was written in North America, but it was handed to Japanese directors (Hayao Miyazaki at one point) to direct.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
abunai wrote:
No, it's not an anime.

Well, it's a Japanese / US co-production. The script was written in North America, but it was handed to Japanese directors (Hayao Miyazaki at one point) to direct.

It still is nowhere near an anime. The entire look and feel of it is true to McCay's original style, with only small variations. To call it an anime because it was "outsourced" to Japan is going way overboard.

I'm rather surprised to see it described in the Encyclopedia lookup as an anime, and I totally disagree with this. I didn't even bother to look for it in the Encyclopedia, because it isn't an anime. Granted, neither is The Animatrix or Aeon Flux, and they're in there, but this is even less anime-esque.

And I'm still shocked that the original posters weren't already familiar with Little Nemo. What is the world coming to? The youth of today, grump, grump, etc.

- abunai
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:15 pm Reply with quote
[Insert reply where someone says, Well, it's made in Japan, so it must be anime, because anime is animation that comes from Japan.]

[Insert reply where someone says, No you tool, anime is a word used to mean animation, so everything is anime, I mean Homestar Runner could be anime, because it's animated, etc.]

[Insert reply where someone says, If it's anime, where's the big eyes and the shiny cel-shading and the magical girls and GIANT ROBOTS?]

[Insert reply which devolves into multi-post digression on the definition of "anime," which may or may not also involve discussion on the nuances of the term "otaku."]

[And then somebody says that they hate cosplayers and people who go to cons with "Will Yaoi For Pocky" signs.]

Okay, that covers most of what this thread will be about, so, how about those Dreams of a Rarebit Fiend?
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Lyonel Feininger's Kin-Der-Kids and Wee Willy's World are like a funkier, less classical and more freewheeling version of the original Little Nemo strips.

And no one needs to feel bad about not being familiar with Windsor McCay, fergoshsakes. Sure, he's a key figure in comics history, but they don't teach this in schools.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And I'm still shocked that the original posters weren't already familiar with Little Nemo. What is the world coming to? The youth of today, grump, grump, etc.

Blah Blah Blah. Don't go over the top. Unless one is familiar with comic history how would one know this. You make it sound as if its common knowledge, and if it is that most be in the US because I'm pretty sure the majority of people in the UK wouldn't have heard of Little Nemo. Either that or I've somehow failed to pick this up somewhere along the line.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
And no one needs to feel bad about not being familiar with Windsor McCay, fergoshsakes. Sure, he's a key figure in comics history, but they don't teach this in schools.

Humph.
Well, they damn well ought to.
*grump*

Wink

Actually, they do - just not in American schools. In Europe, most schools will take the pupils through a cursory study the basic history of that medium, too. I've even been a stand-in teacher, once, for a class on the subject of "the history of the comics medium", in a Danish high-school.

So, maybe you Americans (PC term: "Transatlantically challenged" Razz ) ought to think about how your schools are failing to teach your kids about a fundamental part of their literary and artistic heritage, huh?

-abunai
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Didn't John Lasseter work on this one, too? I heard that was how he met Miyazaki.

I know that Little Nemo didn't do well and is nowhere near the level of McCay's comics and all that, but does it have any redeeming values? Is it closer to Disney's Alice in Wonderland or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
America has a literary and artistic heritage? That's crazy talk.

Of course, this all goes back to the fact that comics are viewed as mindless entertainment in the section of the newspaper just before the classified ads, or pulp periodicals about guys in funny outfits beating each other up, and there is no possible way that they could be used for complex artistic expression.
JustJon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
For a history of American comics, I heartily recommend Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics (and Reinventing Comics as an also).

Anyone who really wnats to learn about the medium of comics in any forms should read those two. (And the third one is currently being written, and will cover manga)
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:51 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'll have to dig it out of my daughter's old video collection. It was interesting, but she never liked it much, She preferred Thief & the Cobbler. Practically wore that one out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2