• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
my neighbour totoro

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I saw this when I was like 10 and liked it. I didn't really realize that it was anime untill my friends got me into it (anime) just recently

I was wondering what you people think of it

...and what does "totoro" mean?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:58 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
...and what does "totoro" mean?

Well, it's what you get when you put the word "troll" through the filter of Japanese kana (トロロ, "tororo") and then apply a slight mispronunciation.

I've always felt that perhaps it was wrong to translate it as a proper name - maybe it should have been dealt with in translation as a generic term for all the spirit critters ("trolls").

-abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Baka...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:29 pm Reply with quote
My god boy gets fired. Thats the exact same thing for me. My neihbor totoro witch i just found about recently. Was shown to me when i was in grade 3 from a exchange student. And as you can see i am now into anime.

Last edited by Baka... on Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:19 pm Reply with quote
There is no real meaning to the name: "totoro" other than that it is a sort of cute name.

:Abunai
Unfortunatly, "troll" in Japanese is not トロロ "tororo", it is トロール "t-roll". "Tororo" is grated yam, usually put on rice to make "tororo don" (tororo rice bowl). Wink

I personally didn't really think deep into it since I was born in Japan, and cartoons are all anime. Nonethless, it was enjoying and interesting at the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1