• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto vs FMA

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:18 am Reply with quote
Basicaly, I cant figure out for myself which anime I like more. I watched 90 episodes fo Naruto before even glancing at FMA, so my dedications are obviously placed in a certain area. FMA has a MUCH better plot web though for some reason Naruto is tied with it, atleast in my view. Maybe its the music or I like the characters more, i dunno, but which one does anyone else like over the other?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:57 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Naruto, I think FMA beats it in everything like animation, character development, story, music, etc. Then the fact that Naruto is a fighting shonen anime that has fights that last episodes, puts it down a notch for me when I compare it to FMA.
Illumina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:47 am Reply with quote
definatly FMA, as mentioned b4, it have superior plot, music, etc. And it doesnt spend like 5 episodes on one fight, every FMA episode is extremely full, especially the ones near the end.

And one thing that annoys me from naruto is all the flashbacks, the ones infront of a episode and the ones repeatedly about a character's past. I mean, how many times did we see about Sakura+Ino, and Tsunade's bf/bro.
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:13 am Reply with quote
Illumina wrote:
And one thing that annoys me from naruto is all the flashbacks, the ones infront of a episode and the ones repeatedly about a character's past. I mean, how many times did we see about Sakura+Ino, and Tsunade's bf/bro.

As much time as it takes to create filler so the Anime doesn't race ahead of the Manga. Truth is they started the anime a tad too soon and are forced to do the flashbacks to keep the pace from going too fast.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:59 am Reply with quote
Illumina wrote:

I'm usually fine with them as long as they aren't the same exact flashback they've already shown 5 times.
Fenrir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:13 pm Reply with quote
All of thos flashbacks they are doing are not filler. The flashbacks in naruto are in the manga as well as the anime. The anime is still about 6-7 volumes behind the manga or so. The filler eps are gonna start showing up soon. IF there have been any then they started around episodes 80 or so I haven't really watched Naruto after that but the show has been really light on the fillers eps so far.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:40 pm Reply with quote
FMA destroys Naruto. Naruto drags way too much and really lacks alot. Pretty typical characters, and as usual, the same formula that most shonen things follow: baddie of the week. And I'm not even going to start on the music.
On the other hand, FMA has an engaging plot that really keeps you watching. It even dabbles in philosophy and ideas about human cruelty. The characters are likable, and the main one goes through interesting development. Great animation, fights, and some of the best jpop/jrock out there for the opennings and endings. This is easily FMA, unless you are into other animes like DBZ/Yu Yu.

Last edited by Kagemusha on Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Goshin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Naruto suffers from DBZ-esque pacing. There are plenty of flaws in the series, and I'm sure everyone knows this. But, it's simply fun to watch.

FMA is just a great anime hands down. The animation is rock-solid(BONES: they could do no wrong) and the story is intriguing.

So, I guess it comes down to what you enjoy. You want something fun to watch without hurting your brain (even for the slightest)then watch Naruto. If your looking for something that will captivate your mind watch FMA.

Just my two cents.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I like FMA a lot better. With Naruto, the only thing going for it is the fighting and the little spots of dramatic sections, i.e. the Haku arc. While, FMA does have action, it has more drama and more depth in it.

Did you know that the philosopher's stone is, or at least could be, based on a Hindu lore? From the book of Khabir there was a passage relating to the philosopher's stone. Just like in FMA, the philosopher's stone promised glory, fame, and power but dire consequences comes with it when in search or creation of the philosopher's stone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lucca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:35 pm Reply with quote
FMA 100%.

I never really could get into Naruto :/ It's always looked like some sort of Ninja-style DBZ/Flame of Recca hybrid. I did watch about 20+ episodes though ( 1-15 then some in the 30s - 40's), so nobody can accuse me for not watching the series XP~ The characters look really good on paper, but I think if I ever saw the manga, it would kick the anime's butt. The anime lags a lot, it feels.

FMA had a great start, and for the most part kept a good fast pace. There were a few areas where it lagged, but not nearly as much as Naruto's... speaking of which, there's only some 6 or 7 episodes left at this point. 52, wasn't it? They're at 45, then the movie (which I predict will be the end of the series XP~ But we never know, do we? I really do wonder...) and it's over. Naruto's at, what? 100 or something? Horribly long...

Anyhow, yeah. A lot of my argument is length. I have issues. Anything that goes over 100 episodes scares me. o.o; I don't have that kind of money to buy a series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fenrir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:21 pm Reply with quote
The movie is a sequel set 2 years after. The series will have and ending. Also the show is 50 episodes not 52. It may perhaps be 51 however they did take off one week from Airing and with it's time slot already being taken up by a new anime there is no way it will be 52 episodes.
Lucca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:49 pm Reply with quote
They took a week off because of the Olympics. Big deal.
But all the talk I'm hearing is 51 to 52. I hadn't read much about the movie, thus the guess. However you're the first one I've heard to say only 50. :/ Ah well...
Ok, this is slightly off topic now.

Naruto's length scares me. How could anyone ever afford all the DVDs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1