• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sailor Moon & Codename Sailor V Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Press Release wrote:
KODANSHA USA ANNOUNCES THE RETURN OF SAILOR MOON
Never-before-published Enhanced Editions of the Groundbreaking Manga Series
Share Long-Awaited US Publishing Debut with CODENAME SAILOR V

NEW YORK, New York – March 18, 2011 – Kodansha USA Publishing, a subsidiary of Kodansha, announced today the exciting return of Naoko Takeuchi's SAILOR MOON, one of the most significant names in comics and manga, to US publishing. Brand new deluxe editions of the acclaimed series will be released by Kodansha USA's Kodansha Comics imprint in September 2011. Out of print for six years, SAILOR MOON re-launches along with Takeuchi's two-volume prequel series CODENAME: SAILOR V, in print in the US for the first time—making this one of the most highly anticipated manga releases in years.

The Sailor Moon manga, which originated in Japan in 1992 and debuted in the US in 1997, follows Usagi Tsukino, a young girl who transforms into super heroine Sailor Moon to combat evil and fight for love and justice in the name of the Moon and the mysterious Moon Princess. The first successful shôjo (girls') manga release in the US, SAILOR MOON changed the book landscape and helped establish the foundation for the manga craze; in particular drawing attention to the popularity of comics among female readers.

Prequel series CODENAME: SAILOR V, the first of Takeuchi's “magical girl” manga, will make its highly anticipated debut in the US alongside the SAILOR MOON re-launch. In CODENAME: SAILOR V, teenager Minako Aino fights as Sailor V against the villains of the Dark Agency before she discovers Sailor Moon.

The Kodansha USA editions of SAILOR MOON will be published on a bi-monthly schedule and follow the 2003 Japanese re-release format of the classic series. The original 18 volumes have been condensed into 12 volumes covering the main storyline, and two volumes dedicated to short stories. Each volume has gorgeous new cover art, retouched interior art and dialogue along with extensive bonus material from Takeuchi, and detailed translation notes.

One of the most recognized manga and anime properties in the world, SAILOR MOON took American pop culture by storm, with mentions in music (“One Week” by Barenaked Ladies), bestselling books (The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot) and more. In Japan, over 15 million copies have been sold and the series has generated everything from animated features to live action musicals, a live action television series and countless merchandise.

“I'm very excited to reintroduce Ms. Takeuchi's work to her American fans,” said Yoshio Irie, president and CEO of Kodansha USA Publishing. Irie is also the former chief editor of Nakayosi magazine in which the Sailor Moon manga was serialized. “As we continue to build the Kodansha Comics manga list, a title like SAILOR MOON is the jewel in our crown. As the former chief editor of the work in Japan, I'm especially thrilled to finally release the prequel, CODENAME: SAILOR V, to the many fans who have been asking for it at long last.”

Deb Aoki (from About.com) wrote:
When Kodansha Comics, the U.S.-based division of Japanese manga publishing giant Kodansha announced that they would be releasing new English editions of Sailor Moon and Codename: Sailor V by Naoko Takeuchi in Fall 2011, fans were elated. But while it was great news to hear that these new editions of Sailor Moon would have new translations and would follow the format of the Japanese deluxe editions, a few questions lingered.

Would the names of the characters remain Anglicized? (e.g. "Bunny" instead of "Usagi" and "Darien Shields" instead of "Mamoru Chiba") Would Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune remain "cousins" instead of lovers? And why did it take so long for Sailor Moon to return?

I asked some of these questions to the folks at Kodansha Comics and while it took a while, I got a few replies back that might satisfy the curiosity of Sailor Moon fans in North America.

Q: I guess the first question that comes to mind is: What took so long? Was there a particular reason why it was out of print for almost six years?

Kodansha: We were informed that Ms. Takeuchi felt that the time was right to reintroduce Sailor Moon, not just in the U.S., but in other countries as well. For example, the new edition of manga started being published in Italy last year.

Q: It's great to hear that the new editions of Sailor Moon will be similar to the deluxe editions that were issued in Japan. Will the new Kodansha Comics English editions will have the color pages and stickers as in the Japanese edition?

Kodansha: The Kodansha Comics editions of Sailor Moon will include all of the color pages, but not the stickers.

Q: Will this edition of Sailor Moon be released in a larger trim size or will they be presented in the standard smaller paperback editions?

Kodansha: They will be in our standard 7.5" x 5" format.

Q: Will Codename: Sailor V be released in September the same time as Sailor Moon Vol. 1?

Kodansha: Yes, it will. The second volumes of both series will release in November 2011, and Sailor Moon will continue every two months after that. (NOTE: There will be 12 volumes of the regular storyline and two volumes of side stories, for a total of 14 volumes)

Q: One complaint that fans have about the prior TokyoPop editions is how much the characters' names were Anglicized (e.g. "Bunny" and "Darien"). Will the Japanese names, cultural quirks be retained in this new edition of Sailor Moon?

Kodansha: The Japanese names and cultural references will remain intact, and there will be our standard "translation notes" section in the back of the books.

Q: Another concern is that the TokyoPop editions (and to be fair, in editions published in other countries too) downplayed, if not outright changed the lesbian relationship between Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus. Will this aspect of the original Sailor Moon story be retained in this new edition?

Kodansha: The Kodansha Comics translation will stay true to Takeuchi's original storytelling vision and characterization.

--------

It still remains to be seen if Kodansha will be releasing Sailor Moon as a digital edition, or if Takeuchi-sensei will be making any appearances in North America to celebrate Sailor Moon's return. So far, no word on any re-release of the Sailor Moon animated series yet either, but it may be too early to say either way.

In any case, it's pretty exciting to see Sailor Moon returning to print after several years absence. Amazon and Right Stuf are already offering both titles for pre-order, if you're eager for your fix of magical girl fun, you'll only need to wait a few more months.

•Codename Sailor V: Volume 1 - $10.99 - 9/13/11 - Amazon / Right Stuf
•Codename Sailor V: Volume 2 - $10.99 - 11/15/11 - Amazon / Right Stuf

•Sailor Moon: Volume 1 - $10.99 - 9/13/11 - Amazon / Right Stuf
•Sailor Moon: Volume 2 - $10.99 - 11/15/11 - Amazon / Right Stuf
•Sailor Moon: Volume 3 - $10.99 - 1/17/12 - Amazon / Right Stuf
•Sailor Moon: Volume 4 - $10.99 - 3/13/12 - Amazon / Right Stuf
•Sailor Moon: Volume 5 - $10.99 - 5/1/12 - Amazon / Right Stuf
•Sailor Moon: Volume 6 - $10.99 - 7/3/12 - Amazon / Right Stuf
•Sailor Moon: Volume 7 - $10.99 - 9/11/12 - Amazon / Right Stuf
•Sailor Moon: Volume 8 - $10.99 - 11/13/12 - Amazon / Right Stuf
•Sailor Moon: Volume 9 - $10.99 - 1/29/13 - Amazon / Right Stuf
•Sailor Moon: Volume 10 - $10.99 - 3/19/13 - Amazon / Right Stuf
•Sailor Moon: Volume 11 - $10.99 - 5/7/13 - Amazon
•Sailor Moon: Volume 12 - $10.99 - 7/2/13 - Amazon
•Sailor Moon: Box Set 1 (Volumes 1-6) - $65.94 - 11/20/12 - Amazon / Right Stuf

Links to Japanese cover art (which are mostly the same as the US releases):

Sailor Moon
Codename Sailor V (under "New Cover Edition")

Last edited by NJ_ on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:06 pm; edited 14 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't really blame 'em on the lack of stickers, 'cus those might be expensive and American consumers might not necessarily take the manga as seriously buying it as JP consumers would. Didn't know SM needed foot-notes, though.
Genet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
This is great! It's so awesome that they were willing to communicate with the fans.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Only $10.99? That's really good nieuws Anime smile
sailorcosmos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I really wish they would include the stickers. Even though I already own all of the manga from Mixx (Tokyopop), I'm still going to buy these, because I'm a huge Sailor Moon fan!!!

Last edited by sailorcosmos on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:45 am Reply with quote
sailorcosmos wrote:
I really wish they would include the stickers. Even though I already own all of the manga from Mixx (Tokyopop), I'm still going to buy these, because I'm a huge Sailor Moon fan!!!

Ahh, my eyes are burning from the pink! Please don't use colored text. T-T

I am so looking forward to picking up the new volumes of Sailor Moon and the Sailor V series. I've been dying to read Sailor V for ages!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
I found volumes 2 and 3 of the original flopped release at a second hand bookstore the day before the Kodansha announcement and jumped on them. But this is even better!
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote
First post updated with release date for volume 3.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Volume 2 of both mangas now up for preorder at Right Stuf.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
http://previewsworld.com/support/previews_docs/orderforms/JUL11_COF.txt Both Sailor Moon Vol.1 and Sailor V Vol.1 are solicited in this month's Previews magazine for those who shop at comic shops.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
First post updated with release date for volume 4.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote

I'm getting even more excited by the day! Only two more months. Very Happy

NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Volume 3 is now up for preorder at Right Stuf.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
Well some folks from outside of the US got their copies and all that has been posted so far are pics from the first Sailor Moon volume so here's a preview of sorts for those curious.

SailorMoonGerman article with 3 images.

The rest of these are from moonkitty.net's YouTube & Twitter.

Video Unboxing

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

There's a bit of controversy over certain translation choices they made (princess-sama? really?) along with what they did to the Azabu Juban Shopping District building. It won't stop me from buying this & Sailor V but i can understand why people are upset about it.
NakamuraYumeko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote
Triple Squee, I can't wait to receive my first volumes of SM and SV in the mail, I can't wait to read them Anime hyper
I'm a little disappointed in those translation choices you mentioned, NJ_, I mean, it's not a BIG deal (we're getting Sailor Moon back, no frowny faces!)... but they could have kept the text on the building original, why change it? Most manga I've read just include a little note on what Japanese text translates to, why are'nt they?
The Japanese text just feels more authentic...

The "Princess-Sama" thing is'nt really too bad, though I can see how some people might find it odd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3