• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best starting anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:06 am Reply with quote
My friend has been borrowing my GTO volumes for two weeks,and I was wondering what the first anime I should show him would be.
I'm thinking Ping-Pong Club,since he is a pervert and likes lowbrow humor.Maybe Akira,since he appreciates Science Fiction films.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:19 am Reply with quote
I started one of my friends out with Chobits. It's the only one she liked out of all the titles I suggested.
king_micah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:00 am Reply with quote
Bebop is the universal title to show. It is wide enough that most people like it. I personally find Ping-Pong Club to be offensive and racist, but people who really like toilet humor tend to like it. A better humor choice would be Abeno, which has something for everyone.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:15 am Reply with quote
When I first met many of my friends in high school, they either didn't watch anime or they were only into the Toonami stuff (DBZ & Gundam Wing, basically, almost nothing else). After showing them a little Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, & Evangelion (Adult Swim wouldn't exist for another two years, I should point out), they were all hooked.

So, I'd say Trigun & Cowboy Bebop are excellent places to start. Nice, general appeal to them, and they have good dubs. Even though I scored with showing my friends Evangelion, I wouldn't suggest it in every case; I only showed it to select friends of mine who I knew were into deep, philosophical sorts of things to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tigerbalm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree. Cowboy Bebop would be an excellent start.
gnollman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:20 am Reply with quote
Depends. If they're into Sci-Fi, I show them Macross or Crest of the Stars. I don't really include Bebop as scifi... If they want comedy, I'll show them Ranma 1/2. If they want Fantasy, I'll either show them Lodoss War or Rune Soldier Louie.

If I don't know what they want, I'll bring Bebop. It's kind of my broad-spectrum antibiotic....
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:53 am Reply with quote
I'd have to go along with everyone else and say Cowboy Bebop.

What kind of fiction does your friend like? How old his he? Depending on his age, it might be better to pick something intended for his age demographic.

If he's at least 16+, go for Cowboy Bebop of course. And possibly Neon Genesisn Evangelion, any Tenchi, any Gundam (with a consistent story, don't try to go out of order with the UC timeline at least). X (TV) is another good one.

Ninja Scroll, Visions of Escaflowne, Berserk, or maybe even Excel Saga might work. Oh, and don't forget Rurouni Kenshin. Heck, how about Inuyasha?

I know that's a lot of suggestions, but again, it just depends on your friend's tastes.
Danniable

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I would have to second Berserk.Becouse of that series(That oh so great series) 3 of my friends now have a new look at anime becouse they now know that anime can be a legit form of story telling.

Cowboy bebop(Also vary good) is a good series to start with.My dad enjoys CB and he is a 56 year old biker(weird,I know)so yes it does have appeal to all people.

I would say no to Excel Saga(It is my fav anime/weird comedy)becouse of the fact that it is so japanese in so many ways new people to anime would be confused.

FLCL(Another weird show)might be good if they can stand weird humor and a weirder plot.For me I was like "um...ok...so...this show rocks" after the first episode and after it was on AS I knew i was not alone.So many talked about how it hade to be made by god to be so great,That shows it has mass appeal so might be good after they see 1 or 2 series.

And last Outlaw Star,I dont think I need to say to much but after I watched the show I thought it was great.Its a good starter title and just a good show overall thats fun as hell to watch and it has a nice price.
nevermind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:50 pm Reply with quote
If he appreciates sci-fi, then he may like Ghost in The Shell, or Stand Alone Complex, or maybe one of the mecha animes, maybe Patlabor or Appleseed.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Show him "Ghost in the Shell", "Ninja Scroll" and "Jin-Roh". I bet he'll be impressed. I was when I started into anime.

Series: Golden Boy(funny and perverted) "Chobits" and "Blitz Tactics" are little perverted too.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne has my vote.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Escaflowne has my vote.

Mine too, together with Bebop of course.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:05 pm Reply with quote
If I were to suggest a film, it would definitely be a Miyazaki or Kon film. If a series, then it would be either Bebop or Escaflowne. Of everything I've seen so far these would have the most universal appeal - most others are audience specific.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I suggest you show him one of the more popular anime out. Like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop. He also might like Love Hina.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chevisan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
If he likes perverted humour you should try Golden Boy. And it's only six episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2