• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yen Press

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhian K

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know where to post this, so I'm trying my luck here. Has anyone read Yen Press magazine? Its supposed to be a mange/anime mag.... I'm just wondering what the reviews are for this read.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Yen Press is the publisher. The magazine is actually called Yen Plus.

Anway, I've been reading it and its pretty good. I don't care much for a couple of the titles, but I like most of them at least a little bit. There is less non-manga material than Viz's magazines, but what they have is nice. Some series will have brief translation notes after the chapter, Nightschool and Maximum Ride have one page author pages where they talk about stuff and each issue has a preview chapter (so far, Moon Boy, Black God, and BoIchi) and two pages for new Yen Plus releases.

As for the manga/comics within, there is a good variety, so chances are good you will like at least a couple of the titles and probably not care much for one or two as well. But with ten titles each issue, you can afford to not like one or two.
Rhian K

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Yen Press is the publisher. The magazine is actually called Yen Plus.

Yen Plus, that's probably why I couldn't find it at the bookstore... thanks!
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
In your opinion, how hard would it be to pick up the latest issue and start reading at that? I kept meaning to check Yen Plus out, but never quite got around to it and now I know we're a few issues in and thus a few chapters into the serializations.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Probably pretty easy. At the beginning of each chapter, there is a plot summary and character bios, much like what Viz does in their magazines. Most of the titles aren't very plot intensive or otherwise complicated anyway. Higurashi and Nightschool would probably be a bit harder than the others to get into late, but even then it shouldn't be very difficult.
Agoston

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I saw it in the bookstore yesterday, I didn't recognize any of the listed mangas. It should have Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning, the only Yen Press manga I follow so far. But then again I wouldn't buy magazines anyway I'd just wait for the volumes..
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Probably pretty easy. At the beginning of each chapter, there is a plot summary and character bios, much like what Viz does in their magazines. Most of the titles aren't very plot intensive or otherwise complicated anyway. Higurashi and Nightschool would probably be a bit harder than the others to get into late, but even then it shouldn't be very difficult.

Thanks, I might have to pick it up, since we carry Yen Plus at my work.
MisterEd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I kind of liked the magazine, Higurashi, Jack Frost, Soul Eater, and Nabari no Ou were good, but only liking four out of ten or eleven titles just isn't enough for me. I decided to buy those titles when they come out in bound volumes.

I would like it much more if they would just release the manga and have no magazine whatsoever, then we'd get the titles out faster, and I also believe the magazine isn't making them much money, if any at all.
Rhian K

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
How long has Yen Plus been out? It can't have been that long...
LKK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Rhian K wrote:
How long has Yen Plus been out? It can't have been that long...

There have been 4 issues published so far. November will see the release of issue #5.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I bought myself an issue today. I'm really looking forward to it, since I've enjoyed serialized manga in Shojo Beat, but would like to see a more diverse line-up. I'll let you know what I think once I get a chance to read it (should be in a few days, I need to finish reading Watchmen first).
Rhian K

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll pick one up myself this week, I will also check out Shojo Beat, never read that one before either.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
I have to confess that I checked out the first couple of issues, but dropped the magazine. Even my regular American books, I want to drop the periodicals in favor of collected editions. I just don't have the time, money, or space to follow a comics anthology. Plus I'd rather pick a few of the series I like than read all of the ones in the magazine. Still, I applaud Yen for having an American comics anthology like the ones published in Japan.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
So, I finally got around to reading Yen Plus. It was interesting. I won't be following it though, because it's just has too many very action-centric titles which don't appeal to me. But I'll probably check out Svetlana's series and maybe Pig Wife too. I did like seeing all the Korean titles, since I don't follow that scene quite as much.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
The only title in Yen Plus that I'm interested in is Soul Eater. I just wish that I didn't have to wait until next October for the collected edition of Soul Eater is released. I was hoping that the Oct 09 date was wrong, but so far as I can tell, is not the case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2