• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good Dubs???

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BKLegacy518

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:11 am Reply with quote
Which anime do you think sound better with the English voices rather than the japanese ones? I know there aren't too many but these are the one i think the English voices sounded better.

Gundam Wing
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Fatal Fury - the motion picture
Street Fighter 2 V

And i think the worse Dub so far is DBZ, I cant stand goku's voice AHHHHHH!! Evil or Very Mad
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:21 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I'd have to go with Cowboy Bebop as being an equal dub myself.

The only two where I really prefer the English are:

Hand Maid May - I thought the lines were delivered better and enjoyed the cast more.

El Hazard (Wanderers, and the first OVA series) - same as above...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:22 am Reply with quote
I can't really think of any where I actually prefer the English to the Japanese, but I must ay that there are a few quite good dubs.

The Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi dub is pretty good...
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I only watch dubs. I can't think of any right off the top of my head as being the best. I think Aura Battler Dunbine is pretty damn solid.
BKLegacy518

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:26 am Reply with quote
why only watch dubbs???? Question
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:31 am Reply with quote
For dubs comparing to them the subs for me are usually tie for what I like but there are some exceptions however:
Vision of Escaflowne....
Berserk
Soul Hunter
Cowboy Bebop
Yu Yu Hakusho the Ghost files
Ties: anything that I've seen thats not on the above list, e.g Inuyasha, Naruto(no dub yet), etc.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:37 am Reply with quote
Let's see:

Practically any anime dubbed by Coastal Carolina Studios
Full Metal Panic
FLCL
Hellsing
any Clamp series dubbed by Bang Zoom!
Vandread
Steel Angel Kurumi
Cowboy Bebop
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:10 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop and Trigun were the two anime that changed my mind about dubs. Both came out at around the same time and featured superb dubs.

Better in fact than the original Japanese dubs.

-t
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:47 am Reply with quote
BKLegacy518 wrote:

And i think the worse Dub so far is DBZ, I can't stand goku's voice AHHHHHH!! Evil or Very Mad

If you ask me,the grown up Goku of DBZ sounds more manly in english than in japanese.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:30 am Reply with quote
Wolfs Rain has a very good dub
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:22 am Reply with quote
I seldom watch English dubbs and I don't remember much of those that I did watch. But I have to say Crayon Shin-chan is probably the best Chinese dubbed anime I've seen. Believe me, it is good!
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:35 am Reply with quote
without a doubt i would go with a few classic tv series like Robotech and Star Blazers. Voltron was laughable even if you suspended your disbelief for a minute or two. ("...and i'll form the Head,Go Voltron force"!) Laughing

Ironically Carl Mecek had a few decent dubs other than the aforementioned Robotech; One that comes to mind is The Professional; Golgo 13. Wicked City was ok. however, i hated Guiseppe Myart's voice.

With quality of dubs increasing thanks to Cowboy Bebop,Saiyuki and S-CRY-ed it seems that American voiceovers are playing catch-up moreso than ever before. Wink
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I almost always watch anime with subtitles, but one dub I've grown fond of recently is Excel Saga. I just feel that a lot of dub actors seem to lack real energy in their performances, but the origninal dub actress for Excel captured her manic/hyper personality perfectly. A second dub actress was later brought in after the first damaged her vocal cords ( Sad ). She wasn't quite as good, but her voice was almost eerily similar to the first. Even though I don't think Hyatt is as difficult a part, Monica Rial really nailed it Very Happy . The result is that I ended up switching between the dub and the sub as I watched, something I rarely ever do.

A dub that I feel surpassed the Japanese cast in some ways was for Spirited Away. I hardly expected this to happen, since Spirited Away is so rooted in Japanese culture in general. In both the Japanese and English versions Chihiro was voiced by a child, and I just feel that Daveigh Chase was cute and endearing (and appropriately annoying in some places ), while the young Japanese voice actresses's performance was bland. Haku's English voice was too mature, but I thought the Japanese voice actress for Yubaba sounded too young, while the English one sounded as creaky and ancient as an old woman can be.

The worst dub I've heard is for one of my favorite shows, Utena. I watched one dub video volume because it was the only one at the rental store, and I've sworn off Utena dubs ever since. You just know you're in trouble when, even though though you don't speak Japanese, you can tell Japanese voices apart better than the English ones.
aniki21

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not overly impressed with the Bebop dub... am i the only one? It's not bad, but I've heard better.

For instance, I thought the English voice track on RahXephon was outstanding, though. I'm quite a fan of Laura Bailey in Blue Gender as well, and even Eric Vale gets much better towards the end. I quite enjoyed the Abenobashi dub too.

I was horrified at SaiKano's dub, though. How can they all mispronounce Akemi?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
If you ask me,the grown up Goku of DBZ sounds more manly in english than in japanese.

I dislike FUNi's dub of that show so much...

In any case, the reason Gokuu sounds so much more masculine in English is because the Japanese voice is played by a woman. I like it much better because I think he (Gokuu) is more of a comical character than what he's portrayed as in the dub.

As for good dubs, I'll say Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Trigun are among the best.

Pretty much anything that takes place in Japan, I prefer in Japanese (although Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly/FLCL wasn't bad.)

Some of my worst dubs include:

Kare Kano
Saber Marionette (all of them)
Rurouni Kenshin/"Samurai X" (in my opninon)
GTO
Angel Links
Fushigi Yuugi
Love Hina

Excel Saga is OK, but listening to Excel's dub voice literally gives me a headache. Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4