• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does Funimation have 2 year olds doing the End Credits?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gozar

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quote
Over the past few days I've been watching some Anime from Funimation that I just bought and I've noticed major errors in the Cast List.

On the DBZ Movies 1 & 2 Double Feature it lists Chris Sabat as voicing the Ox King (Instead of Kyle Hebert). Then I watched the final Black Cat DVD and on Episode 22 they list Sven being played by Chris Patton (Instead of Brandon Potter). I haven't heard anything about them switching the role of Sven mid-series nor does Sven sound any different.

Has anyone else noticed any Credit screw up's by FUNi or is this a little error on 2 recent things I've seen?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote
And before their death, Geneon was weird with Kyo Kara Maoh's credits. They randomly stopped listing Jack Lingo/Sam Riegel as Gunter and began crediting Gunter to Mike Davis, who was Yozak's voice.
larinon

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Funimation can't even spell Gen Fukunaga's name right. If they can't do right by the CEO, what hope do the VAs have?

(link goes to screenshot from Shuffle ending)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, anime credits have very often had a rushed feel about them, mistakes and omissions are not altogether uncommon. Chances are they're generally just an afterthought for many companies. Interestingly I've noticed that most titles either have good credits, or horrible ones. It often seem that if they mess up, they mess up on the whole thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Funimation can't even spell Gen Fukunaga's name right. If they can't do right by the CEO, what hope do the VAs have?

(link goes to screenshot from Shuffle ending)

Maybe Gen just wanted to use a pen name on that one. You know, the whole plausible deniability thing. Twisted Evil (j/k)

As far as credits go, it's not just FUNimation that gets them wrong. Misspelling's in particular seem to be pretty common across the board. I have never been one to get angry much about credit errors, so that sort of thing doesn't bother me much. Subtitle errors on the other hand Evil or Very Mad. And yes, you can have good subs and bad credits, and vice versa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
As mentioned before, all companies mess up all the time when it comes to credits. -Remembers incident when FUNi used 4kids terms in the uncut One Piece movie 8 DVD- Anime cry
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
As far as I've noticed FUNi's credits seem to be the worst, although that is possible due to the one case where I studied them closely (and I think there are still errors in the encyclopedia I created by entering from their Kiddy Grade credits)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Dunno. I always found Geneon's credits to be a pain in the butt. They listed all the actors in a given episode, but almost never their roles, and when I went to check names for voices I heard in the show, many were missing or listed voices that didn't appear in that episode.
Clodus

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
This is the real professional world and yet american companies repeatedly keep making mistakes. Alot of people skip the credits so they probably don't put much emphasis on it but still, its pretty astonishing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1