• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any good Medical Themed Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spacemonkey1023

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Anybody know any good animes or manga with a medical (or surgical) theme. As if I don't get enough of this at work, I love watching it on TV. Well, that and I'm looking for an excuse to wear my scrubs to a con; they're so comfy...

Thanks in advance!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Now that you mention it, I don't. Of course, there is Blackjack OVA, and Blackjack the Movie, but they aren't quite an ER situation, so I believe.

Monster isn't a medical themed Anime, but it does have some realistic scenes of surgery. It's also intelligently written.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
there is probably some, uh, explicit stuff out there... considering the nurse theme is a common motif in, uh, explicit fantasies.

I just did a keyword search of "nurse" using the above search function. A number of different titles came up... and a couple even looked like they might be about nursing instead of, uh, explicitness.

So I'd recommend doing that search (you could also try "doctor", "M.D.", "hospital"... etc) and browsing that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I remember a more recent anime that IIRC had some connection to Black Jack that was medical-related in some fashion, something to do with an ability of the main character. Cannot at present remember the name unfortunately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I'll second the recommendation for Monster. It's not a strictly medically-themed series, but the main character is a neurosurgeon, and the show delves into clinical details on numerous occasions. Plus, it's about the most suspenseful 74 episodes you'll ever sit through.
sj21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
If you consider it medical(its kinda) but Mushi-shi. I don't know about this one but maybe Mononoke
musk.stick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'll second the recommendation for Monster. It's not a strictly medically-themed series, but the main character is a neurosurgeon, and the show delves into clinical details on numerous occasions. Plus, it's about the most suspenseful 74 episodes you'll ever sit through.

I'll third that recommendation. It's a unique and extremely interesting series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, Monster is definitely worth a watch. Man I love that show. I wish VIZ would tell it to us strait whether they liscensed it or not, and if they did hurry up with those DVDs because I'd buy it in heartbeat.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
You might want to look into a series called Ray.
anime#6163

A quick synopsis about the manga from which the anime was adapted:
comicreaders.com wrote:

Ray grew up on a farm, one that breeds and raises people as living, breathing organ donors. As a donor herself, Ray had her eyes taken away from her, but was given the gift of sight by a stranger. Ray's new sight, however, was far from ordinary. She was given x-ray vision. We meet Ray ten years later, now off the farm, working as a nurse and an underground medical doctor performing procedures for profit. A chance encounter with an old friend triggers Ray's memories of her difficult childhood, which inspires her to try to find the donor farm on which she was raised.
manuelRN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Spacemonkey1023 wrote:
Anybody know any good animes or manga with a medical (or surgical) theme. As if I don't get enough of this at work, I love watching it on TV.

If you work in the medical field, why would you seek anime about medicine considering all the inaccuracies? My wife, who is also in the health profession, criticizes anime dealing with medicine because of all the inaccuracies that most lay people don't notice. For example, most anime incorrectly depict NSR on a cardiac monitor. Personally, I'm not the type of person to dwell on such issues--I watch anime for pure enjoyment. I wish my wife felt the same.

One anime I would recommend is Roujin Z as it deals with ethical and patient care issues.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
You might want to look into a series called Ray.

Aha! That's the one I was trying to remember.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:
If you consider it medical(its kinda) but Mushi-shi. I don't know about this one but maybe Mononoke

I wouldn't consider Mononoke to be a medical themed anime. It's more of a supernatural anime. The only medical theme in the anime is that the main character is a medicine seller.
Spacemonkey1023

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
manuelRN wrote:
Spacemonkey1023 wrote:
Anybody know any good animes or manga with a medical (or surgical) theme. As if I don't get enough of this at work, I love watching it on TV.

If you work in the medical field, why would you seek anime about medicine considering all the inaccuracies? My wife, who is also in the health profession, criticizes anime dealing with medicine because of all the inaccuracies that most lay people don't notice. For example, most anime incorrectly depict NSR on a cardiac monitor. Personally, I'm not the type of person to dwell on such issues--I watch anime for pure enjoyment. I wish my wife felt the same.

One anime I would recommend is Roujin Z as it deals with ethical and patient care issues.

A lot of the time I watch it for the story and to escape; like on the TV show "House," you'd never do, well, anything the team does, but you sure do dream about talking to some of your patients that way. Besides, even though what they do is wrong, you still get to practice making a diagnosis. It's like a mystery, except nobody dies (supposedly).
Eruanna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Its not anime (or even animation), but I hope you watch Scrubs as it is quite hilarious.

As for anime, very little of what I have seen really has anything do with the medical profession, much less centered on it.
Saiunkoku Monogatari has a story arc in the second series that focuses on a medical epidemic, but its not modern times, and it is not the focus of the series.

Black Jack is the only one I can personally think of and I haven't actually seen it, only heard about it.

Ray looks really good actually. I might check it out myself!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spacemonkey1023

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
Haha, yes, I do watch "Scrubs," actually. And the truly scary thing is, there really are people like that who work in the hospital. However, most of the time they keep the crazy visible only to those of us on the inside so most patients never realize. But they exist. And they're everywhere. And I swear my Medicine attending acts just like Megumi Takani.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1