• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are you picky when choosing new anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanford

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
When you are choosing a totally new series to watch or download as a fansub, do you find yourself being picky as to what your going to watch next?

I like choosing a series that I know I am going to like and I try to sort through the good and the bad of the titles out there before jumping on a new show to watch. For example, I love the school-comedy genre, and I like to choose anything decent that will have a similar theme to it. Azumanga Daioh led me to try out School Rumble, and eventually ended up to begin collecting Lucky Star.

I guess when it comes to buying anime, I feel safe just to stick with a genre that I enjoy. But sometimes I will also end up trying something different and end up liking it in the end.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
Unless I already know beforehand that it will endless shounen trifle or other such related types, then I'll usually give it a chance. And if it turns out it sucks or is pretty stupid, but has a definite end, I'll just watched it at double speed to consume it faster.

As far as new fansubs, like when a season starts up, I'll try most of the shows that get talked about or look interesting, to give a fair shot to the season as a whole.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
I'll watch one or two episodes of just about anything under the sun, but as for actually going through something all the way...

...I'm one of the pickiest people I know. I only pursue something if I know it's either going to be REALLY good and worth the money or just plain fun and won't cost me a thing. i.e. Toonami shows, back when there...was...a Toonami. Crying or Very sad Now there's just Youtube...I'm not one for torrents or even fansubs in general.
ACF_AngelCopFan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
I went on gut feelings when i choose my next anime, which some times were good, like black lagoon and kaze no yojimbo and scrapped princess, and pumpkin scissors.
musk.stick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
I'm really picky when choosing a new anime. I'll generally research a couple of titles, narrow it down to one, and then watch one or two episodes to see if I like it or not. If it's a no-go, I'll just move on to another on my list. I'm not someone who can sit through an anime I don't find entertaining, I'd rather be watching something I really liked.
Marik101

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
well in my end of the world (new Zealand) the pickings a pretty slim so I'll watching any anime i can get my hands on and so far i haven't been disappointed. the only exception was speed grapher, i only got to see one episode and it made no sense to me what so ever but I will get another chance. after I've watch my panyo panyo di gi charat with my little sister again Anime smile
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
I'm not super picky, but I have to find out if I will like a series before I drop any money into watching it. Usually I will look for reviews and what others think of a series before I make a decision to watch it. If I have an interest after doing both I will usually rent the 1st DVD of the series then watch it to determine if I will watch the series or not. If I don't enjoy it then I don't have to watch it again and I didn't waste any money at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakitamike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty lenient. MY first big flag is whether it has a dub or not. I generally won't pay money for something that's subtitled only (though maria and that gondola series coming out by Rightstuf are going to have a chance to sway me) Robots/Gundam aren't very high on my watch list.

But anything else, I'll try out a bit. If a couple certain VA are main cast, that can sway me in favor of trying a series blind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Starship Regulus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
I'm partial to Science Fiction, so most of the Anime I purchase is of that genre. My Nieces like Fantasy, so If I decide to get something for them I'll concentrate on this genre. The Biggest Factor however is PRICE. I constantly scan retailers such as Rightstuf, Deep Discount, Amazon and others looking for that best value. A 50% Off or BOGO Sale will definately get my attention. First of all I'll check with Boards such as this on to ensure The Series I'm buying is worth it! Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
It really depends on the genre. I will not watch anything Horror but I want to try Ghost Hunt when it arrives because I saw a clip of it somewhere/somehow and it intrigued me enough to get the manga, which I'm enjoying.

It really depends. I haven't been buying as much because I haven't been reading anime magazines that will tell me about the latest upcoming titles. But ANN certainly helps with picking things out.

Meh, if I see it and I like the description or someone that I trust just RAVES about it, I'll try it out. If it's a mistake...oh, well. I'll try again.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
I am not picky at all. I am just after good story telling or great entertainment or interesting story ideas and concepts. If it sounds interesting and doesn't have any of my deal breakers I'll watch the first 2 episodes and see what happens.
NathanBum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty picky, I don't want to watch a long, drawn out shounen crap fest, and I won't watch anything that isn't complete or that I have to buy in volumes as opposed to collectors sets of the entire series, I usually pick series that are between 13-52 episodes long (my preference being 26), and I hate watching shows that only involve fighting and no story. I won't even give some animes a chance if I see that they have bad ratings, or have bad cover art.
Luxa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I consider myself really picky, I always consider reviews, forum posts and other recommendations. I tend to choose everything that way, I want the best available for my money. Or for my time.

So I almost never start to watch something on a whim, I check the quality first. As a consequence I've finished everything I actively started to watch even if I'm disappointed with it. Well, everything but ROD (TV), that bored me to death after a few episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes, even word of mouth isn't enough to get me started. I have yet to watch something like Gurenn Lagaan or Gundam 00 -- despite everyone saying "it's good".
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
for the episodes that are comming out i will down load episodes 1 and 2 then decide if i want to continue and get the DVD's when they are released in USA. for stuff that is already here, i again do the worst thing and download an episode or 2 just to see if its worth buying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2