• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Holy Crap! Mononoke (possibly) Licensed (?)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LolItsGriff

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
A rather unknown anime, Mononoke, was Licensed a few days ago. It's my personal Favorite anime and it just blows my mind to see it licensed. I found out on an anime streaming site, in which is pretty reliable for this sort of thing. But I was absolutely blown away. the problem is that it didn't say who licensed it, and since geneon Licensed Ayakashi.. Well, I just don't know what to think. The Ayakashi dub was Fantastic and I can't wait, I just want to know who it was licensed by.

Anyone Know?

[EDIT: changed thread title to cut down on speculation. ~Zalis]
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Don't get the impression I'm not excited at this "news", but we'll know when it's announced, and not until then. We really don't like rumor threads, but I hope you're right on this one, as I hear it's a really great show from those who've seen it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I take it you've seen this at Crunchyroll? Saw the same announcement a couple days ago.

Dunno if it's bull or a U.S. company wishes to remain anonymous (unlikely to be the Japanese company, Toei, as, like with Aniplex and Baccano!, it would've explicitly stated as such).

I'm doubtful that Mononoke has been licensed, but then again I never really thought that Shigurui would've been given a chance outside of Media Blasters... so I'm hopeful that there's validity to this.

selenta wrote:
[...]as I hear it's a really great show from those who've seen it.

Absolutely yes. Most underappreciated anime out there, besides Mind Game and Pale Cocoon.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Don't count those chickens yet -- I wouldn't consider CR or any streaming site to be reliable. CR in particular uses "licensed" as a catch-all term for "we can't have it on the site anymore," whether it was a US licensee or the Japanese producers who asked them to take it down. If it were licensed by a US company, you'd think that they would make some kind of formal announcement like press releases to ANN/AoD.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

selenta wrote:
[...]as I hear it's a really great show from those who've seen it.

Absolutely yes. Most underappreciated anime out there, besides Mind Game and Pale Cocoon.

Heck yeah, it's a great anime. You can probably tell I'm biased by my avatar. Mononoke is one of the best, in my opinion. It would be fantastic if it did get licensed. This is a sadly overlooked title. Everything was top notch, from the music to the art. I also loved the sly sense of humor threaded through the stories. We need more like this one to get out to the mainstream. If people knew how incredible some anime really is we might see more available in the US. I'm hoping with the critical acclaim movies like Spirited Away and Paprika are getting, visibility will increase.

I also loved Pale Cocoon. If HellKorn is recommending Mind Game then I'll definitely have to check that one out right away!
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt Mononoke has been licensed, but I would certainly love to see it be. I'm currently watching the series (7 episodes + the Bakeneko arc of Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales) and I love it.

Ishmoo wrote:
I also loved Pale Cocoon. If HellKorn is recommending Mind Game then I'll definitely have to check that one out right away!

Same here. I also loved Pale Cocoon, and I'm currently loving Kaiba, which is from the same director as Mind Game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1