• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suggestions/Tips on writing Movie summaries.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Should movie summaries contain spoliers or not? Also I sometimes have a difficult time summarizing things as well. Your thoughs and comments are welcome in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I think the best advice is already outlined in the Encyclopedia:

Rules:

1. Summarize the plot of the anime, not its distinctive features. Even the worst anime has some kind of attempt at telling a story. "Bob the samurai fights Morg's evil henchmen" is not good because it describes the anime, but does not describe the anime's plot.
2. Do not "talk" to the reader ("This show is about ...") but rather summarize directly what the story is about: "Bob, a wandering samurai, comes to the help of a woman in distress who ..."
3. This is not a sales pitch; it should not contain hype/marketing statements designed to draw interest. The more neutral the description, the better.
4. This is not a review; do not include your opinion or evaluation or analysis or any personal judgment about the anime.
5. Do not use interrogative (?) or exclamative (!) sentences.
6. Don't take someone else's plot summary, write your own. We don't want to get sued for copyright infrigement, now do we?

Hints:

a. A common mistake is "setting the scene", where the first episode is described as a way of explaining what the show is about. Often, this is followed by something along the lines of "This is the start of" or "Thus begin the". While the first episode can provide information crucial to understanding the rest of the series, the plot summary must describe more than just the intro.
b. In order to describe the plot, and not just describe the anime, check to see if your plot summary answers this question: What is the point of this anime?
c. See Star Ocean EX and Maison Ikkoku for examples of a good plot summary.

But my own advice, try to keep it at about one paragraph, and no offence here, if you aren't any good at it then don't bother doing it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1