• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What would you like to see rereleased in English?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
So, after many years of waiting, we have Sailor Moon available in English once again. A lot of companies seem to be rereleasing popular titles in omnibus format or new editions at the moment. (VizBig etc) My question to you, is which long out of print/difficult to buy series would you like to see reprinted and why? As for me; I'd like to see:

Basara: I read scans of this, as by the time I'd discovered this series, the prices of certain volumes had skyrocketed well beyond my budget. It's one of my favourite series of all time, and I was so glad when I found Wild Com. in a bargain bin, as it meant I could at least own /something/ by Yumi Tamura. No one makes shoujo like Yumi Tamura, especially not these days, and I'd love to see an omnibus release of this, with all the colour artwork.

Angel Sanctuary: I think this series could look beautiful with an omnibus release, with all the colour art intact. It's by far my favourite Kaori Yuki series, although it still messes with my head. Just not as much as Grand Guignol Orchestra...

Banana Fish: Shoujo that's not shoujo. I've read a few volumes and they blew me away. It's sad that English companies won't release anything like this any more, but just stick to the safe bets. Surely Naruto and Bleach must make Viz enough money that they can put out interesting stuff as well?

After School Nightmare: I'm fortunate enough to own all the original releases, but I really do believe it's one of the most underrated/little known series I've ever read, and it really does keep you guessing. I did think the ending was a bit of a copout, however. The imagery in the series is very haunting and subtle. I'd definitely recommend it to horror fans, male or female.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Yumi Tamura. Just...anything from Yumi Tamura. License 7 Seeds, re-release Basara, anything. She's hands-down one of the best shoujo mangaka out there and it's so sad how she's so terribly under-appreciated in the US.

I really want some old CMX titles to be picked up. You know, the ones that probably have no chance of getting released again? From Eroica With Love, Swan...? And Moon Child (the weirdest shoujo I've ever read).
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
You know I would love to see a proper re-release of Gundam: The Origin. At the time it was released Viz published it in these ~100 pg magazines. They weren't quite comics books or trade paperbacks nor were they released like other Viz manga of the time.

I want a proper release with books that have spines and the beautiful covers of the Japanese edition. And also it would be great if they could finish the series while they're at it.

Quote:
I was so glad when I found Wild Com. in a bargain bin, as it meant I could at least own /something/ by Yumi Tamura.

You should try Chicago then! It's only two volumes and Barnes and Noble still has it in stock. :)
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
hack_benjamin22 wrote:

Quote:
I was so glad when I found Wild Com. in a bargain bin, as it meant I could at least own /something/ by Yumi Tamura.

You should try Chicago then! It's only two volumes and Barnes and Noble still has it in stock. Smile

No Barnes and Noble in the UK Sad Might keep an eye out for it online though.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:22 am Reply with quote
Well Basara for sure, I've never gotten to read this, but it's like the number one manga I really really really want to read!
Banana Fish is one of those things I'd totally buy again even tough I already have it. Take note Viz! That way I could act like a completionist and have a set to loan out to everyone I know!
And just to complete the triumvirate of oop Viz shojo, Please Save My Earth too. This one I probably wouldn't rebuy to have a loan set, but I'd push it on everyone I know nonetheless.

Let's dig back into Viz stuff, there's Sanctuary, a very early Viz title that came out in floppies and did come out in book form. Most of the volumes are easy to get except for 7, there's really few other manga like it and none on the same level of awesome, it's rather a disservice for it to be OOP.

On the Dark Horse side, What's Michael? is my greatest wish ever, and it's one of those timeless manga that will age well on top of it. And now is the time to strike with Vertical almost caught up on Chi's Sweet Home and with Chi selling so damn well. People are gonna want more cats in the meantime and Dark Horse would be a fool not to reprint this at such an opportune time.

Hmm, I will simply put a list of Tokyopop stuff because we still don't know wtf is up with them and if anyone else will license rescue. Oh and let's just say, for simplicity's sake, everything they were actively publishing that is now in limbo (so Future Diary, Deadman Wonderland, Demon Sacred, etc): Fruits Basket, Hotel Africa, Battle Royale, Kodocha, NG Life, Gerard & Jacques, Truly Kindly, Lovers in the Night, GTO proper, MBQ, Threads of Time, Planetes, Petshop of Horrors, Cyborg 009, Suppli

There's also plenty of CMX, but first and foremost, Emma needs a re-release. Half the volumes are way oop (I managed to get half the volumes for cheap, luckily). But it's the classic that everyone says to read, and I've seen the anime but know that it doesn't cover everything even of the main story apparently, it's a great manga that a lot of people want and really shouldn't be so oop. Swan and Eroica fit this as well.

Also, DMP is running a Kickstarter program for Swallowing the Earth to try and get it reprinted! This pledge just started but is already like a third of the way to the $3,950 needed. I don't personally need my copy, but I know many of you around here do (and even though I don't need it, I might pledge myself). You can also get emanga from this pledge and other manga. It also works internationally!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/bring-back-osamu-tezukas-swallowing-the-earth
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You can also get emanga from this pledge and other manga. It also works internationally!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/bring-back-osamu-tezukas-swallowing-the-earth

Wow, those are actually really good deals! Too bad I don't have the means to make a pledge right now.

Quote:
Well Basara for sure, I've never gotten to read this, but it's like the number one manga I really really really want to read!
Banana Fish is one of those things I'd totally buy again even tough I already have it. Take note Viz! That way I could act like a completionist and have a set to loan out to everyone I know!
And just to complete the triumvirate of oop Viz shojo, Please Save My Earth too. This one I probably wouldn't rebuy to have a loan set, but I'd push it on everyone I know nonetheless.

Yes! If Basara is released as a VizBig Edition with all sorts of nice extras, I may double dip. And even if I don't, I'll will nag and nag until the editor-in-chief lets me write about all three of them. Not single pages, but spreads. These manga deserve two pages.
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
hack_benjamin22 wrote:

Quote:

You should try Chicago then! It's only two volumes and Barnes and Noble still has it in stock. :)

No Barnes and Noble in the UK :( Might keep an eye out for it online though.

Alternatively, Amazon UK still has some in stock. :)
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
For me, Planetes. I'm so disappointed that I didn't get it when all the volumes were easily available. The FLCL light novels, too.

It seems you're not asking about license rescues, that'd be a whole other tub of titles.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Seconding Kodocha, I'd also like to see Mars get a rerelease because I never got to finish reading it the first time. Also Ice Blade was really interesting from what little I got to read in old Mixxzine issues. Never got to finish Juline although a friend of mine may have all of the volumes, but I know she doesn't have all of the spin-off Shaolin Sisters.

Tokyopop's light novels are another thing I'd love to get my hands on, but sadly I realize that's not going to happen.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
Shadow Star Narutaru.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/ZK=oNaC37Ya2briyBP/browse/item/58529/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/ZK=oNaC37Ya2briyBP/browse/item/59780/4/0/0
RightStuf has both volumes in stock, it's a pretty good series.

I'd like to see a reissue of The Were 11 myself, or maybe Area 88. Patlabor is pretty big on my list too. Tho I'd be happy for more recent works from the same authors [I know Area 88's author's current series got picked up by Seven Seas- and I'd love if VIZ did the current Birdy the Mighty manga series]
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Oofuri
hajime no ippo
i am a hero
vinland saga
tonnura san
historys strongest disciple kenichi

Id especially want ippo and vinland saga
thedockboons500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Wolf Guy Wolven Crest and Shiki Razz
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd like for Viz to re-release Neon Genesis Evangelion, as it's pretty much impossible for any new fans (like myself, at least to the NGE manga, not anime) to get into the newer volumes when so many are out of print.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Hajime no Ippo and Tough, but I can easily see why Ippo (approaching Chapter 1000) would scare most publishers off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2