• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Manga Art

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quote
We have a fairly popular Worst Manga Art thread going, so what about a Best Manga Art?

Not being very experienced in the manga world, I was wondering this.

Something else that would be interesting would be, what manga has great artwork, but a lousy story (as opposed to the other thread - bad art/good story).
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:59 am Reply with quote
Best art? MARS. Simple as that. The characters are so incredibly expressive and incredibly lovely to look at, even when they're not attractive characters that you're just entranced. Plus Fuyumi Soryo draws everything with a very light hand, which makes it very easy on the eyes.

Then there's her wonderful backdrops. The scene where spoiler[Rei proposes to Kira] by the refinery is uncanny. It's just so lovely.

And then when she adds motion to the images it's brilliant. Soryo relies more on the angle you view the scene from and the bodies of the characters to show movement as opposed to a lot of distracting lines.

Even when she goes routes that aren't familiar to your average shoujo artist, for instance the motorcycle racing sequences, it's rendered with a startling and poignant beauty. The art alone is reason enough, at least for me, to consider MARS the premiere shoujo manga released in the states.
sakuuma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:55 am Reply with quote
Hm. Best manga art. Being who I am, I'd have to say X/1999. I know someone out there is gonna disagree with me, but I have to say it. I love X, and all other CLAMP mangas. The art in all of them is beautiful and just a pleasure to look at. I have to say that X takes the cake on this one. Just my two cents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Uzumaki's good. I love the Please Save My Earth manga style, although I suspect it's pretty firmly rooted in established shojo manga stylings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree that MARS has beautiful art. Also anything by CLAMP, Kaori Yuki, or Yuu Watase has such pleasing art, everyone looks so pretty! Anime smile
I also like the art in Blame! because of it's dark undertones and surrealism, and the backgrounds look so cyberish, kinda reminded me of that old silent film Metropolis for some reason. The art in MPD Psycho is very cool because the characters and backgrounds are drawn realistically. Especially the gory parts. Shocked
I have to say Shinsengumi Imon Peacemaker too because the main charas look bishounen. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop And Kenshin! Mostly towards the latter part of the arcs.

Last edited by Mou Kaoru on Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:18 pm Reply with quote
The best art ever, from and artist pov:

1) The author of Alichino, I forget his name, but it is the MOST gorgeous and detailed art I have ever seen in a manga.

2) Kaori Yuki. Anyone who's seen her stuff, especially The later part of Angel Sanctuary, knows you can't really get better then that.

3) CLAMP. No need for an explination here. Anime hyper You could actually study their style, and it has intresting... "periods" to it. The big eyelash eyed period of when they started to 1994, the more round evolution period to rounder art from 1994 -1998, and then of course, the round, chobits style, which is now Anime hyper All of it's great.

Oh yeah, and concerning Alichino, well, I don't know if the story is any good. I've read all thats been release *3 volumes* and well, I can't really remember it. Truthfully, the art distracted me from it. Hopefully another volume will be released soon. I should go reread it to determin if the story is good. >.>
Nuriko-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I love the art in Fushigi Yuugi and Inu-Yasha^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmmm.. lets see here

- Alichino
The art is rich in details, very very very high quality, every page is an art work itself. God, the manga is like an artbook. But I guess that`s normal considering that it takes one year to draw this manga.

- X/1999
I just like Clamp...... and it was one of my first mangas. So you can imagine that starting on with a CLAMP manga can make you their fan for life. I just like this drawing plus the feather and sakura accents.

- the last volumes of Oh My Goddess
OK - Say what you want but in the end the art is beautiful!!!
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:06 pm Reply with quote
How could I forget ALICHINO!? I didn't even know what the story was all about until I read it a second time. The art was distracting at first, it's gorgeous! I wonder if the 4th volume will ever come out. The story wasn't all THAT great. But the art...wow. Love the lolita goth art. I also think that Under the Glass Moon has some very good, detailed art too.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Mou Kaoru wrote:
How could I forget ALICHINO!? I didn't even know what the story was all about until I read it a second time. The art was distracting at first, it's gorgeous! I wonder if the 4th volume will ever come out. The story wasn't all THAT great. But the art...wow. Love the lolita goth art. I also think that Under the Glass Moon has some very good, detailed art too.

Sad Alichino has a sad situation. The company that was releasing it *I forget their name* went out of business or something, so it doesn't look to promising that another volume will come out untill they get a new ... "producer" I guess you would say, or whatever, a new magazine to release it. Makes me hope that a manga distro here will get it to stir up support.

The guy who did Alichino did some absolute gorgeous videogame doujin. I can only find them on the yahoo.jp auctions, but I would pay a ton of money for his FF and Chrono Trigger doujin. *_* So pretty.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I know people dissagree with me on this one, but i think GTO has great art work at times. Some of the facial expressions are so realistic and show great emotion while still keeping the comedy flowing.

I'd also say Oh My Goddess has great art work when you compare it to the earlier days when it was much worse.

Please note that i think the storyline is great in both of these manga.
sacchan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru no Go and Vagabond both has great realistic type of art work.

I like Tamura Yumi's art from BASARA, too. Her art is quite distinctive but beautiful, especially with color.

I also like Ohya Kazumi's bishonens Embarassed
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:33 pm Reply with quote
No doubt, Arkard, that the mid-way shift in Fujishima's art style produces some of the most distinctive and lovely characters in all of anime. At the very least, Belldandy is always going to be considered one of anime's leading ladies.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Yuu Watase's art is better than Clamp's. Clamp is good, yeah I agree on that. Watase just has that one edge up on them. Her art in Alice 19th flows ever better than before.

Kare Kano's art also caught my eye. I've never seen an artist leave a page almost blank and it looks good. It's just interesting.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
Yuu Watase's art is better than Clamp's. Clamp is good, yeah I agree on that. Watase just has that one edge up on them. Her art in Alice 19th flows ever better than before.

Kare Kano's art also caught my eye. I've never seen an artist leave a page almost blank and it looks good. It's just interesting.

I love watase too, and put her in my top 10. However, she has a problem with not being able to draw guys that are very distinct from each other. A lot look the same. Watase has a pretty light shoujo style, but CLAMP has shown they can go from shoujo style to shonen style in art and still retain detail and quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5