• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shin-chan?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siilent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
My friend and I went to Florida (we live in Canada) for a one week vacation and just returned having seen Adult Swim for the first time ever, and (while at first we were extremely weirded out by the art), our sentimental favourite on the channel became Shin-chan.

Sorry for the trouble, but I was just wondering if anyone could fill me in on a few of these things. Mad

1. I heard something about there being two english versions of the show and that one of them is "f---ed up". Hopefully that's not the one we saw. I'm not really sure what to specify in order to say which version we saw, but hopefully it being on Adult Swim is enough? Embarassed Sorry.

2. There were a lot of things said that couldn't have been in the original japanese show, like references to Brokeback Mountain and puns about the words "elope" and "cantaloupe" being similar. Does this have any relevance at all to the original lines or does the english dub take the footage and make it up completely? Shocked

3. Were the names "Georgie" and "Penny" in the Japanese version as well?

Thanks, and sorry for the stupid questions. Embarassed Hopefully I was clear enough.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
I have not seen much of the English dub to Shinchan, but I think the "references" to Brokeback Mountain may have been something the writers had to come up for the dub. You have to remember that sometimes English dubs have to have American humor put into it because the Japanese jokes won't exactly hit it with American audiences because of cultural differences. And I don't remember a George or Penny in the Japanese version.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
Funimation punched up the script for the dub of Crayon Shin-chan to appeal to older audiences. Otherwise, the show is somewhat like a segmented version of The Simpsons. Names of things have been changed, "Americanized" for American audiences, much like Detective Conan ("Case Closed").
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Siilent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
Names were changed? Why have "Georgie" and "Penny" if you're keeping "Ai" and "Maso"?

And was Shin-chan dumbed down in terms of "offensive" content or upgraded with it? Maybe I'm confusing myself, but I'm still quite lost. Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
Names were changed? Why have "Georgie" and "Penny" if you're keeping "Ai" and "Maso"?

And was Shin-chan dumbed down in terms of "offensive" content or upgraded with it? Maybe I'm confusing myself, but I'm still quite lost. Embarassed

Shinchan is offensive no matter how you look at it. What you'll see in the show hasn't been changed, from what I've seen. The thing about the show is that the content, though it may be okay with it being a kids show in Japan, we don't find appropriate over here. Therefore like probably a whole bunch of other shows that we have on Adult Swim, Shinchan is geared towards adults over here. It's a cultural difference.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:

Ha ha ha ha! Dumbed down? I'd hardly call stuff like "MILF and cookies," a wife and child (penny and her mother) in an abusive household and a kid's superhero named Action Bastard "dumbing down."
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quote
Yes. If you were to literally translate the actual meaning of the character they call "Action Bastard" in the English dub of Shinchan, he's actually called "Action Mask." I think it comes down to they tried to make it even more for adults over here.
Siilent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quote
So there's no butchered version of it? The translations, aside from cultural puns slipped in here and there, cooperate with the original lines in Japanese?

Oh, and just to clear up whether or not I'm being retarded and misunderstanding, Shin-chan in America is MORE offensive, then? Like Action Mask being changed to Action Bastard and the like? Since it's geared towards children in Japan, there wouldn't be any mentioning of ecstasy and "exchanging bodily fluids" and the like in the Japanese version, right?

I guess my question is, how different are the two?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote
The difference is that Crayon Shin-chan is a (mostly) wholesome, albiet cheeky comedy for all ages, while "Shin-chan " is an adult-oriented comedy with many references to modern American pop culture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:29 am Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
So there's no butchered version of it? The translations, aside from cultural puns slipped in here and there, cooperate with the original lines in Japanese?

Oh, and just to clear up whether or not I'm being retarded and misunderstanding, Shin-chan in America is MORE offensive, then? Like Action Mask being changed to Action Bastard and the like? Since it's geared towards children in Japan, there wouldn't be any mentioning of ecstasy and "exchanging bodily fluids" and the like in the Japanese version, right?

I guess my question is, how different are the two?

I've never heard of a "butchered" version of the English dub. It is supposed to be more offensive over here because it is targeted at adults. You have to understand though that the kind of humor that would be found in the show itself, if the language content is reverted back to what the original Japanese dub contained, it is a funny take that appeals to all ages in Japan. Illegal drugs or talking about the actual act of sex wouldn't come up in the Japanese version. However, there's plenty of references towards sexual innuendo and so forth.

Like one episode where spoiler["Mitsy's" parents were visiting at their house and watching television. Shinchan turned it to a channel that had a bunch of girls in a swimming and cat fighting. Mitsy's dad was then staring at one of the girl's jugs bouncing around on television and the camera angle for the show zooms in on the action. ]That would be pretty offensive over here, but it's supposed to be funny over there.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:52 am Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
2. There were a lot of things said that couldn't have been in the original japanese show, like references to Brokeback Mountain and puns about the words "elope" and "cantaloupe" being similar. Does this have any relevance at all to the original lines or does the english dub take the footage and make it up completely? Shocked

It looks to me like Funimation gave the dub writers a lot of room to run with what ever they wanted(or could make work).If funi didn't localize it and you're unfamiliar with the shin-chan universe,nobody under 30 would get the most of the jokes.You gotta read the manga and play the some of the Crayon shin-chan games,to understand the real humor.I played a Crayon Shin-chan game on the Genesis, back in 1993.Shin chan is wild,they will probably never show Shin-chan's popular elephant dance.

I bought a bunch of the manga back in 2003.Even Comicsone,localized the manga to an extent.Shin chan has that same kind of crude humor that Dragonball began with,wearing off from Dr.Slump.I'm not sure,but I think it may have been a newspaper comic at one point,It certainly reads like one.There are 600 episodes,and like 16 movies of shin chan.I've seen about 20 episodes from AS so far.I'm hoping they grab more.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:54 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Siilent wrote:

I've never heard of a "butchered" version of the English dub.

He may be referring the earlier version dubbed by Phuuz Entertainment that was shown in (non-USA) English-speaking markets. I've never seen that version, so I'm of no further help.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
they will probably never show Shin-chan's popular elephant dance

False. The first time AS ran Shin-chan, I was in college it came on in place of one of the shows that all 4 of my roommates and I used to watch. Anyway, 3 of them left, but myself and one other stayed to check it out, and they included the elephant dance. It was hilarious, we hit the floor laughing. If I'm not mistaken he also does it in the end credits, but I've seen it since then and if so they cut it out now.
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
actually i think there is a couple of episodes that has the elephant dance and they show it on Adult Swim
emory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
The version seen on Adult Swim also airs on the Razer channel in Canada.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2