• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross and Robotech... I need help with some questions.....

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
I already own the Robotech Protoculture Special Collectors Edition
http://www.animecornerstore.com/roco.html

and I was curious about this "Macross"
http://www.animecornerstore.com/matvse.html

Is there a difference between the two? Other then some character name changes, is the story more in depth then the Robotech version? I was thinking of buying it, if it was longer, had more footage, and the story was different then the version I already own. I just didn't want to spend the $150 dollars for a set, if I already own it as Robotech. I was hopeing someone could explain to me the difference in the two?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Read this page for the explanation of Robotech. If you want Macross cheap, buy it here. Only $50 for any 10 items or $100 for 25, while supplies last, of course...
.::Lain::.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
I like Super Dimensional Fortress because of Shoji Kawamori. I'm more inclined to his vision... ^^

Moreover difference/s between Macross and Robotech aside from the names? Hmm, I think there are many differences but its minor (can't affect the main plot IMO) like in Macross, Protoculture came to Earth and experimented on humans making us a subrace of Protoculture just as Zentraedi were a subrace while in Robotech, similarities between humans and Zentraedi was just a coincidence.

You can just check Robotech Chronology and Macross Chronology...
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote
So your saying over all, its basically the same show? Thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out.

Yea, I was hoping it was a totally different version then the Robotech version. Cause I read something in the description, that it was the unedited version that aired in Japan, and the original vision. I was not sure what exactly was changed over the Robotech version though.

Also, I watched the movie Macross - Do you Remember Love, and that seemed like it was different then the Robotech. I'm not sure if its just a recap of the series, or a different movie all together.

Last edited by GrdAdmiral on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
Well, Macross and Mospeada were the less modified of the stories that make Robotech, Southern Cross was the most modified of the 3 anime and also the music was changed(and in the protoculture compilation the SFX too), If you have seen Robotech i would recommend watching Macross for a different point of view... Mospeada and Southern Cross would lso be nice addition to any mecha fan anime collections Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Also, I watched the movie Macross - Do you Remember Love, and that seemed like it was different then the Robotech. I'm not sure if its just a recap of the series, or a different movie all together.

It's an alternate retelling of Macross basics are the same but there are some differences.

As for Super Dimensional Fortress Macross it's got more blood, more swearing, and a bit of mild nudity. You'll find a few scenes that were removed from it to make Robotech. Basically, the differences found would be like those you'd find between a "theatrical cut" (Robotech) and the extended "director's cut" (Macross) of a film.
Mobius Archer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
actually the remastered extended edition added back in the violence and nudity (or most of it at least. i think there may have been some that could not be put back in due to not having voice to go with it.). if you have the protoculture collection than you have the remastered extended edition
Jih2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I have such a huge problem listening to ADV's new dub on their Macross release. There's just something about the original Robotech dub that strikes me. As has already been mentioned there's a little bit more blood and a little nudity but not too much more than what you already have. If you really like completing your collection though you can always pick them up. Macross does not have a box set to my knowledge but Southern Cross and Mospeada do and they're pretty cheap at TRSI.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Mobius Archer wrote:
actually the remastered extended edition added back in the violence and nudity (or most of it at least. i think there may have been some that could not be put back in due to not having voice to go with it.). if you have the protoculture collection than you have the remastered extended edition

Does it have the scene where spoiler[Milia hurls her and Max's little baby accross the room to Misa who wanted to hold her though.] I don't know what scares me more the fact she actually did that or that it happened so offen that they found out it wouldn't hurt her and were unconcerned about it. Shocked

I think that was cut for obvious reasons for Robotech but it's been SO long since I saw it my mememory is fuxy. I should break out the discs sometime again.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
The ADV Southern Cross box set is easily the worst looking DVD in my collection. The original film to video transfer looks like it was done in the 80s and lacks contrast and sharpness and there is an entire episode on my copy that has some major film to video pull down issues.

If my memory serves me I believe the Mospeada box set looked like a post DVD digital master and looks really good for an older series. I don't recall seeing the film splices and image shakiness that I remember seeing in many older television transfers.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Which reminds me having seen Macross just last week I was struck by how good the transfer looked for such an old show compared to my shaky Robotech. discs.
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote
Mobius Archer wrote:

So basically the new release "Macross" from ADV is the same as the protoculture version of Robotech that I have? Thus being the case, then I should not worry about buying the Macross set because its the exact same?

Kruszer wrote:
Quote:

It's an alternate retelling of Macross basics are the same but there are some differences.

Now I'm really confused. Does alternate telling mean its a different story then?

What would you guys do? Would you buy both copies?
.::Lain::.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
GrdAdmiral wrote:
Now I'm really confused. Does alternate telling mean its a different story then?

What would you guys do? Would you buy both copies?

Hmm.. if I were you and I already own Robotech Protoculture Special Collectors Edition, I'm also gonna buy SDF: Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada if I have extra extra money to complete my collection...Anime smile
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Does the Macross series go any deeper into the relationship between Hikaru Ichijyo and Misa Ichijyo? I know the Robotech just left it hanging. Especially spoiler[when they get married, and what happens afterwards?] I know that Robotech II Sentinals kinda covers this in the special features of the Protoculture disc, but its an unfinished project.
Jarm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The movie is not really an alternate retelling, but an inaccurate dramatization of the series. Just like the movie Titanic. It's a great movie, but not part of the chronology.

Macross and Robotech have not much difference beside the name changes, edits, definition of terminology, and music. What really sets them apart are the spinoff shows such as Macross plus and Macross 7 which are really good.

If your a purist and want to watch the Macross saga unedited and uncut, buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3