• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Clayanime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I saw a movie called Happiness of the Katakuris recently; it's mostly live-action, but it's got a few claymation sequences. Does anybody know of any other examples of japanese claymation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:21 pm Reply with quote
No idea, but a lot of people don't realize that a lot of the classic Rankin-Bass stop-motion animation (like clay animation, but with models instead of clay) TV specials, like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, were actually animated in Japan, but for North American TV. If Rankin-Bass did these things offshore in Japan in the 1960s, it must mean there's some stop-motion heritage within Japan for Rankin-Bass to choose their expertise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:49 pm Reply with quote
In around 2000, the Smithsonian down here in DC held a series of Japanese animation screenings which included several claymation and "non-anime" animation titles. Would I actually *remembered* what those titles were...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
No idea, but a lot of people don't realize that a lot of the classic Rankin-Bass stop-motion animation (like clay animation, but with models instead of clay) TV specials, like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, were actually animated in Japan, but for North American TV. If Rankin-Bass did these things offshore in Japan in the 1960s, it must mean there's some stop-motion heritage within Japan for Rankin-Bass to choose their expertise.

That is cool! I did not know that. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was so cool. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Carol Maxwell wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

That is cool! I did not know that. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was so cool. Surprised

Usually we would not define Rudolf as anime any more than we would define Batman Beyond as anime. It was financed by, made for, and watched by Americans.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't classifying Rudolph as anime, I was just making the point that, if Rankin-Bass was doing the animation in Japan, there likely would have already been some degree of stop-motion animation in Japan already for them to choose to do them in Japan, since, when any company relocates production of anything overseas, the countries to which they relocate tend to have people with some degree of expertise in producing what the company wants produced, otherwise they'd have to pay for expensive training.

The difference, for me, between Rudolph and anime, is that I'd call one a "cartoon" and the other just "animation", and the reason I wouldn't call Rudolph a "cartoon" is that there are no drawings involved at any stage of the animation process (not counting storyboards).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1