• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I tried AIR.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I tried Air on anime network. WTF did I just watch! I checked it out because I hear people mentioning it and saying "Oh it's sooo cute and cool!" or "It's MOE!"

The animation is perfect! So beautiful and flowing. I could never expect less from Kyoto animation because of the great job they done with Haruhi Suzumiya. Yet great animation can only go so far.

I found the story very slow and uninteresting and all the characters just seemed like remakes of other characters. That mom really reminds me of few and the blonde girls character was a huge put off for me.

So am I missing something here? Am I just being mean to Air. Is it deeper than the cliche fest of the first 2 episodes?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
So am I missing something here? Am I just being mean to Air. Is it deeper than the cliche fest of the first 2 episodes?

I never thought it was cliche, even from the very beginning (although I suppose if you consider it cliche from episode 1-2, you probably will consider it significantly less so in the later episodes). I do profess though, it bored me half to death the whole way through and I wouldn't watch it again.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Naw, it definitely gets worse after the first few episodes. It's been a couple years since I've seen it but all I could remember about it is mass boredom or confusion. I like the subtlety it starts off with though, the gentle breeze through the trees, the mystery behind the 2 main characters but once they tried to develop the show a little more I was lost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Also if you watch Air or the remake Air: The Movie be prepared for uber-depression to set in. spoiler[They do not end very happy at all, more like crushing depression.] I can't figure out how people get enjoyment out of those types of series/films. I only saw the movie though, I hear the series is worse.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
These comments makes me feel less bad about the review I recently turned in on the first volume, which will be up on Wednesday. Thought for sure I'd get trashed for saying that the first volume doesn't have much going for it beyond the nice artwork and potential moe appeal.

Anyway, I'll reserve my detailed comments for that. Or perhaps further comments could just wait for that Talback thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Great! I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes the series. The whole moe thing with Misuzu and the way her character is depicted just GRATES on me to no bounds. Some of the drama and storytelling gets a tad more complex later, and that part was okay, but I had a hard time falling for all the hype I had read prior to viewing the series, despite the shounen genre label someone had spammed the entry with as well.

I mean, Mikuru-moe I can take, but Misuzu-moe just seems a little over the top, and almost conceited for my own tastes. Other than that single glaring aspect, I thought the art (character designs aside) and the animation were gorgeous. I would not, however, recommend this series for anyone, unless you can bear something to the degree of SaiKano (lots of depression and an unbelievably pathetic female lead that tries to draw large amounts of sympathy with her character and circumstances).

EDIT: Spelling.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I also tried the first two episodes and couldn't bring myself to watch more than that... It's just..... too moe for my tastes. I really, REALLY wanted to like it, because I love Kyoto Animation, and the opening sequence is freaking gorgeous. But I can't think of a single thing I liked about the show itself, save for the animation. The fact that it doesn't get much better in later episodes doesn't encourage me.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to say that AIR is my favorite series, but I thought episode one was okay. Yes, I've only seen episode one and don't want to make too many judgments yet. I love the music more than anything else at the moment. The art and animation are amazing, especially of the clouds and sky, but I'm not exactly a huge fan of the character design. I thought the dub was pretty good, at least when you think about how annoying it is to voice a moe character. Most of the characters (mainly the girls), based on personality, I don't really like at the moment. It's a series I would definitely like to see more of before I decide whether I really like it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
looks like we have new additions to the "AIR is Overrated" club. we have t-shirts, and pie on the weekends. Laughing
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Basically, AIR is a good story. Not often do you see a story involving a curse like this. However, somehow, the 12 (or 13) episode format of the animated version seemed to be a bit lackluster. Granted, I have not played the game; but the execution of the story needed to fare a little better. If anything, the whole thing needed to focus more on Misuzu and the background of her condition.

Now, to truly appreciate AIR -- you just have to breathe it in.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm completely neutral toward this topic, as I have never seen Air; however, this argument does seem like an Air bash fest-where are all the people that seemingly love this anime? Why do they love it so much if there seems to be some controversy? Just trying to read both ends of the spectrum here.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
looks like we have new additions to the "AIR is Overrated" club. we have t-shirts, and pie on the weekends. Laughing

Shall we make a Misuzu effigy then? We can eat pie around the fire.

(I always wanted to use that word!)

KyuuA4 wrote:

Now, to truly appreciate AIR -- you just have to breathe it in.

Aww! Kyuu that was so cute!! *hugs Kyuu*

Kruszer wrote:

I've personally dubbed those kind of folks, Air-heads? Razz

Laughing

Last edited by Viga_of_stars on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...where are all the people that seemingly love this anime? Why do they love it so much if there seems to be some controversy? Just trying to read both ends of the spectrum here.

I've personally dubbed those kind of folks, Air-heads. Razz
roujin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Air right now and while I won't deny that the animation is amazing... it's all so boring. I don't mind trudging through a couple of slow parts to get to the meat of a series but this series just takes it to a new height for me. I don't know... I'll keep watching it and see how it goes. I also had the same reaction with Kanon '06 when I watched it but I stuck with it and it improved. Hopefully, it'll be the case with this show.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
However, this argument does seem like an Air bash fest-where are all the people that seemingly love this anime?
Avoiding this thread, because apparently if you like this show, you're an Air-head, a 13-tard, a moe maniac, an overly-forgiving KyoAni / KEY fan, and a subhuman emotional creature who somehow got suckered in by all the pathos and/or (melo)drama that certain people have declared to be "fake" Rolling Eyes

All I'll say is, I went into AIR knowing nothing about it except "it's based on one of those dating games, and it's sad," and it blew me away. Other that that, I'll wait on the talkback thread - I've been checking the reviews nightly to see if AIR had come up, guess it'll be tomorrow night. Otherwise, my comments on this series can be found here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7