• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
List your personal top five most overated anime (and do you feel the rankings are fair here?)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegetatown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
Since I can't think of 5 anime I truly hate off the top of my head-- I guess I'm just an easygoing kind of guy-- I decided I would put the top 5 anime I personally feel are a bit overrated. Again i will reiterate i DO NOT hate these anime; I just feel they are overrated and are given praise above and beyond what I personally can agree with.

(One reason i'm doing this it seems the rankings here are largely based off the opinions of a predominantly romance/drama loving crowd just like the rankings at IMDB are based off the opinions of Quentin tarantino and christopher nolan fans.)

Top 5 Overrated:
1. Akira: I actually loved this anime when i first saw it, but over the years I have come to find that the story is actually not as complex as I had first assumed, and that the characters, save for tetsuo, are boring as hell. I still love the opening and the crisp animation, but honestly this film starts to lose a lot of its luster upon repeat viewings and it really leaves me kind of empty after watching it--neither stimulated, horrified, saddened, excited, nor challenged--which is really the worst way a film can leave you as it means you are very likely to forget it entirely unless someone else brings it up again in the future.

2. Spirited Away: Good film but other than the fabulous animation/design not great. I loved princess mononoke but this film is nowhere near that caliber. It is basically a disney film like most of Miyazaki's work but this one follows Walt's age old formula to a T: innocent, precocious youth pitted against magical forces beyond comprehension--who still strangely exhibit haughtiness, confusion, good humor and other typically human characteristics-- due to the selfishness exhibited by the rest of humanity, but she alone will win the spirits over and prove humanity isn't so reprehensible after all. Some interesting art but overall I've seen it done better plenty of times before (think Disney or see Kurosawa's dreams if you really want to be blown away by a japanese film about spirits). my biggest contention is where are the memorable characters? Other than the rattling ghost in the bathhouse is there any character from this film that one can look back on and fondly remember even a month or two later? Most of the characters are generic in attitude if not appearance--like I said the design is always interesting. I am not easily swayed by flash (except for Mononoke--the medicine seller one-- which is like candy) and so this film holds little appeal to me. honestly though, I probably wouldn't have even listed this if hadn't achieved some godlike status amongst the anime fan elite.

Cont'd below

Last edited by vegetatown on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:18 am; edited 3 times in total
vegetatown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote
Top 5 overrated continued:

3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: what started out as a promising show with an incredible premise and original characters quickly devolved into a typical quirky high school romance with really nothing profound to say at all. I still think the show is above average (7 out of 10) but honestly some of the convoluted plots, especially regarding time paradoxes--which are done much better in primer, a little something for us tempunauts, hall of mirrors, time trap, or even the terminator-- are really not that intricate when looked at carefully and ultimately have very little to say other than familiar platitudes such as "love is what runs the universe." I know some people love this anime so you'll have to forgive me, but honestly I don't like overly pretentious shows that ulimately at their core invoke no more profundity than an episode of ouran high school host club (which I kind of liked). Even though I have been told I bear quite a resemblance to Kyon (in my demeanor and mannerisms) I still can not give this anime a pass into the halls of greatness. Greatness denied.

4. Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Not much to say on this one as I couldn't get past the second episode. Literally fell asleep (not joking) in my attempt to watch a subsequent episode. Will not be watching again any time soon. Let me just put it this way it's no Zeta-- I can only hope unicorn is better.

5. Clannad After Story: Another anime I couldn't finish. Characters seemed really good and the story seemed solid but overall there was just too much sentiment and sadness--not my cup of tea. My biggest contention with it isn't over whether it is good or not-- as it seems to be well done-- but that it is number one on the rankings. Really, number one?! So this show is better than everything else ever made? Again it seemed good and I might pick it up again in the future but honestly a show like this being number one seems to indicate a strong female demographic on this website and a concurrent bias for romance/dramatic anime-- sorry I'm being sexist I know Wink. I could be wrong but it would be nice to have age/gender statistics like IMDB does for every vote given on a particular work.

Anyway, now I pose the question to you guys what titles do you think are most overrated? Do you think the rankings here are fair or do you feel they are skewed by a particular type of fanbase?

Last edited by vegetatown on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:39 am Reply with quote
In no particular order.

1: Akira. Largely for the reasons you mentioned. I just couldn't get into it and didn't enjoy it. The story didn't seem to make any sense to me, and when the lasting memory of a film is people screaming "Tetsuo!" over and over, well then it's clearly not left much of an impression on me.

2: Naruto. It's a generic shonen action show with one of the most annoying protagonists ever, and it's because of the annoying protagonist that I feel this show in particular is so overrated. Bleach and a host of other shows are fairly generic as well, but I can't think of any others where I actually wanted to kill the hero. I ended up rooting for the enemy just because I want Naruto to just shut up and stop whining for once. At that point I ditched the show. I just wanted to slap Naruto around the face and remind him that he's just an annoying brat that no one likes.

3: Hetalia. Yes it's funny, yes it's a fairly unique premise. Yes, I enjoy it, but boy is it overrated. From the behaviour of the fangirls, you'd think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Some of the jokes are just cringeworthy, rather than actually being funny.

4: Vampire Knight. I enjoy it, but it's certainly not the most amazing thing out there, and it's definitely overrated. I read a review on one site which slated it, and apparently they got so much kickback from it, they had to get another person to review it and post a slightly better review alongside the original one... The art is pretty, but it's not exactly a work of storytelling genius. I get the feeling if it weren't for Twilight, it wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is. There are plenty of better shojo romance/drama series out there, but they aren't popular because they don't have vampires in.

5: Haruhi Suzumiya. It's good, but it's not great. It's a fun story, but I genuinely don't understand how people think it's so amazing. It's not that original, either, as there have been plenty of shows with similar elements. This is another series that falls slightly in the annoying protagonist category, although I think with Haruhi, it's more for comic effect than with Naruto, who is just plain annoying.

Just so you know, I'm a 20 year woman who owns a lot of shojo manga... Wink
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:21 am Reply with quote
Number 5: Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - It's a good show... once. After this, it becomes an exhaustive effort to retain any pleasure in the entire series. It's a well known fact people will begin to skip certain episodes/sections because they're boring. The hype is so strong, people actually bought the second season.

Number 4: Sailor Moon - Nostalgia is a bitch and this series was nothing to write home about, even in its native subtitle/language (we can all agree the dub for kids wasn't meant for anime fans). Why does this series get so much love? Because a few girls remember it, that's why.

Number 3: Miyazaki's Works - I'm just going to sum this up very easily: It's stamped with "Disney". This is all you need to know about taking boring stories, packaging them up with colorful wrapping, and shilling it to people anxious to spend $10+ for the privilege.

Number 2: Evangelion - Please.

Number 1: Death Note - Want to separate out anime fans? Mention this title and watch the room separate. One side will tell you the series was okay and may own a copy for the honor of one day re-watching it long after they've forgotten about it. The other side will have this listed in the Top 5 of their "Bestest Ever Anime" because they've been limited to the last 10 years of series thanks to Cartoon Network.

This concludes my personal opinion, a notice I felt I had to write for some reason.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
May I suggest renaming this thread to "Anime other people/critics like more than me and I'm annoyed about it". Anything can be overrated if you try to objectify you're own love for something.
vegetatown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
@jl07045 sure you can put it that way and while that is a perfectly valid reductionist standpoint--though it almost meanders into pure sophistry-- I can not deny there is some truth to what you say; but then again that's the point. This whole thread is about people giving their complete unbiased opinion on those titles they are sick of hearing people sing the praises of.

The reason I am making this thread is because I am tired of trying to tell myself I like an anime--or trying to color it in a positive light-- simply because the general consensus is that it is a good piece of work. I think there should be some space to counter the popular view--as in the end you can only please yourself--and so i'm just asking people to voice their opinion against any anime title they feel has earned undeserved praise. I also encourage people to respond critically, if they want, about why they feel that person has a faulty opinion. just say something one way or the other, that's all i ask.

Now I don't want to see people excessively trashing a work for trivial reasons, but I would still encourage their critique so long as they honestly don't think it is god's gift to the world and they can give some reasoning as to why--even if it only makes sense to them.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
5. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
This was a good anime, but I thought it would be a lot better. All it had was a bunch of annoying characters. I don't think it was that funny and the Kyons monologue got old after the first episode.

4. Kimi ni Todoke
This was a bit of chore to watch, particulary the second season. First 25 episodes of pretty much nothing else than sparkling eyes and chibis, then another 12 episodes of those weird sparkling eyes and backrounds and more chibis. It was boring.

3. Wolfs Rain
I just couldn't get into this one. It had an interesting world and all, but it was boring. I just didn't find the characters interesting. I've never gotten further than 11 episodes I think, not sure how far I've gotten, but about halfway through.

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
I just didn't like this one. The emotionally touching moments weren't emotionally touching. The orange haired chick was annoying as was the girl with the eyepatch. Somehow I just didn't find this interesting.

1. Cowboy Bebop
Another boring title. I didn't find the characters as deep as they supposedly were. I thought they were hollow. I don't like episodic animes, and this one was no exception. By the end, I didn't care what was going to happen and to who. And yeah, Faye was annoying.
vegetatown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
@jl07045 by the way i noticed you didn't mention any titles...isn't there anything you feel is overrated?
anime racket

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
@vegetatown

The only anime on your list that I disagree with is Clannad; After
Story as it is one of those anime where the end makes it all
worthwhile. Of course, the flipside to that is that the rest of the
season is boring.

Trust me, the ending will blow you away. Very Happy
vegetatown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
@Cam0 Cowboy bebop...how could you?! (I loved it but I can see how you would hate it if your not into episodic anime or Faye.)

Totally agree with you on evangelion. I didn''t like the show when i first saw it (it starts off great but loses steam around episode 18) and yet I still stupidly bought you can not advance 2.0 on blu-ray so as to give it a fair shake. DOH! What was I thinking? By the way anybody want a blu-ray?
anime racket

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
vegetatown wrote:
@Cam0 Cowboy bebop...how could you?! (I loved it but I can see how you would hate it if your not into episodic anime or Faye.)

Totally agree with you on evangelion. I didn''t like the show when i first saw it (it starts off great but loses steam around episode 18) and yet I still stupidly bought you can not advance 2.0 on blu-ray so as to give it a fair shake. DOH! What was I thinking? By the way anybody want a blu-ray?

I'll take that blu-ray.
vegetatown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
@st owly seems we agree on akira and haruhi but hetalia? the only thing bad i can say is that the zany humor does get a bit redundant after a few episodes.

@petrifiedJello people rate sailor moon highly? Well I'll be damned.

@animeracket well i guess I'll have to finish watching clannad then. I just don't want to hype it up too much to myself as that usually ends in disaster. And I'm sending it you right now. no thanks necessary.

[EDIT: Don't double post. Use the edit button. -TK]
anime racket

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
@vegetatown

Lol. Yeah, I think you'll enjoy it. I was getting bored with the
series to but when the last few episodes came around I pretty
much made myself president of the Clannad fan club!

btw, just wondering have you seen the first season?
vegetatown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
btw, just wondering have you seen the first season?

No I actually skipped straight to the second season. got up to the part where he was working as a journeyman electrican and then stopped--strangely enough one of the jobs i was looking at was an electrican job.
So basically I skipped straight to the second season just like I did with spice and wolf. Was that a bad decision?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Guess this gives me an excuse to pour some steam out on titles that folks have gone giddy for.

5. Ponyo- Much as I'm a sap for Ghibli films, I fail to see how this connects with fans considering I found it to be one of the weaker titles that the studio has put together. While I can understand it is geared for children, the movie apparently dabbled into themes concerning man's pollution of the ocean, the elderly thinking of better days and overprotective parents; yet never bothered going too far with them. I also found myself dumbfounded that the movie would retain its friendly mood considering Ponyo comes across as a selfish and impulsive character whose behavior gets destructive at points within the movie, especially when spoiler[she contributes to the town flooding.]

4. Clannad After Story- Find it perplexing that people would crave the melodrama and deus ex machina resolution that this series puts together, especially when it's currently the #1 best rated title on this site. I ditched the series after only three episodes, yet know what happens in later episodes from having seen scenes from the visual novel and from a couple scenes I found from online from the anime. Judging from what I seen of later anime scenes, the anime still hams it up on the melodramatic music and angst to force superficial feelings upon the viewer, which is no different from earlier anime adaptations of Key's visual novel games.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion- Enough anime fans hold this mecha series in high regard yet with Hideaki Anno's questionable direction of the show's later episodes, plot holes galore and Shinji Ikari being a pathetic, whimpering mess of a lead character, I find myself wondering why enough folks worship the series.

2. Code Geass (both seasons)- Why enough folks crave this series enough where the second season currently ranks as one of the Top 10 Best Rated titles on ANN despite the fact this series has enough absurd and over-the-top moments where it has its own Narm page on TV Tropes boggles the mind for me.

1. Dragon Ball Z- There's a good reason why modern shounen power battle titles don't go overboard with battle length and power upgrades, which DBZ is quite notorious for. It also has enough inconsistencies in plot where it makes anything like Inuyasha look like a masterpiece. Why Japan and America continue to market the daylights out of this title after over 20 years while there are better quality action titles to hook in new anime fans like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun boggles the mind for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7