• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does anime take up most of your entertainment time?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutekina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Is anime the most "dominant" factor of what you watch, or is it simply another form of escapism? Meaning that you enjoy watching anime, but it's just another thing out there along with books, music, movies, video games, etc.

I have to say that my anime DVD's are increasingly replacing my movie DVD's as far as how much I own. I still watch movies and read novels from time to time, but I am finding that I enjoy anime more than I do anything else right now.
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I would say that it does take up most of my time. Every now and then, I'll get caught up in a new game, or perhaps on something else. Anime, however is something I am almost always watching.
TheVok

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
It varies. I'm interested in a lot of different stuff, but if I have a series coming through from Zip (the Canuck Netflix), I tend to want to watch those DVDs as continuously as possible, so I prioritize them over other shows.

And really, it's because I don't buy anime that I'm able to go through so much of it these days ....
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I devote most of my free time to "digital". On the computer surfing, reading or whatever else; listening to music; watching anime; watching movies; playing video games. I would say anime is pretty much even with everything else. I do a few long runs every now and then with a friend, like 5-10 episodes at a time of whatever show we pick out. Other than that, sometimes I watch an hour or two a week and sometimes five times that amount.

A few times I've stopped completely for a couple of months. If I get very busy it can happen(which is extremely rare) or after I finish everything I'm watching and just don't find anything interesting. Always come back to it though.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
No, anime is just one of many things that I do for entertainment. It's not even the main source of entertainment. Other things include reading books, reading manga, playing World of Warcraft, random surfing the net, and watching tv (non anime) with friends.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quote
No, it doesn't. I've seen plenty (and limit my choices of animation to a relative few) - but - I have other things preferable to do -- like bike riding, video games, or the Internet.
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
Anime takes up a lot of my time but I have a lot of other interests. Although a lot of my other interests can also be anime related, like for instance, posting in forums. If I'm not watching anime, I'm online making forum posts. If not, I watch regular TV or sleep.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote
Without a doubt I spend alot of time on Anime. However, It's definitely not the majority. I would estimate it at about 1/4 of my time. I spend the rest of my time on Video Games, American TV and Movies, Internet stuff, and Drawing.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:24 am Reply with quote
Depends on how broad a range we're using for the term entertainment. If you're talking the time I watch TV then I'd say it maybe makes up 1/6th on average, sometimes more, sometimes less. I have shows I watch on normal television and I enjoy movies so I have a pretty large collection of those I can dig in to. I'm not one of those die hard anime fans who has to watch every show that's out there, I just watch the ones that catch my interest. That's still a reasonable number of series of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
banas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:21 am Reply with quote
Anime takes up a lot of my time but I also enjoy many other activities if I have leisure time. Reading books is my favorite hobby. I really love reading good books, pocket books, et cetera. My mom hates it when I read pocketbooks because my eyesight is already bad and reading strains my eyes too much, causing a lot of damage. If I rank it, I prefer reading to watching anime, but excluding it, anime is TOP priority.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:42 am Reply with quote
Well, if entertainment=leisure, then I'd say that anime probably has an even 40/40 split with the internet in my case. The rest is devoted to TV, and other stuff that I may find interesting at the time. Though, the split between the internet and anime is misleading, since I often look through anime (or manga) -related sites when online.

A couple of years back, though, I spent more time on video games than I did on the internet, and a lot less time on anime, so the split would be more like 60 - video games / 20 - anime / 10 - internet / 10 - others..
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:56 am Reply with quote
I would say since watching Haruhi in April anime has taken up most of my leisure time. I seem to be into anime for a period of time, like say 2 years and than drop off for another 2 and follow it very casually.

Been like that ever since I saw Evangelion on prime time free to air back on SBS (Australia) back in... was it 1997 or 1998... whatever.

Last few years have mainly be dominated by World Of Warcraft, which combined with hanging out with friends left me very little time for anime apart from watching the latest Bleach episodes. That stopped once it hit the fillers though.. I think pre Haruhi the only anime series I completed in full since 2004 was FMP: TSR.

Anyway back onto topic I would say I spend 60-70% of my leisure time either watching anime, or being on the internet doing something anime related.

Rest would be watching tv shows, reading books and listening to music, I don't count going out/hanging with friends into this.
Cephus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quote
Not even close. If you just limit things to the time I spend watching TV, anime takes up maybe 1/4 of my time, perhaps up to 1/3 if you lump all Japanese programming under the broad category of "anime".
Aoi Yuki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote
watching anime does take up most of my free time by far, if im not working im usually watching anime, reading manga, or a book. 3/4 or more of it is anime though.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote
It's actually funny, considering how much time I spend on this forum, but I really don't even watch that much anime, or at least I haven't been lately. I tend to watch maybe 1-3 episodes a week? So really, it's probably actually the activity that takes up the least amount of my entertainment time, behind being on the internet, watching TV, and reading (though sometimes it is manga that I'm reading, though lately it hasn't been since I have so many text-driven books that I have been trying to read and no unread manga volumes lying around).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3