• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Old Eva vs. New Eva.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime racket

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quote
Please note that this isn't a post for directly comparing the two series
as that has been done to death. Also, everyone seems to have the
same answer when asked which series is superior; the series has
yet to be finished.

What I want to discuss is what the new series can bring to the
table. How it can improve the franchise as a whole and, most
importantly, where the final two movies need to go in order to
give the entire project the power it needs to stay relevent.

I personally find it rather interesting that there is only one more
angel left, Kaworu Nagisa, and two movies. The first two Rebuild
films had angel fight after angel fight. What does this mean for
the last two films, I wonder?
shadow13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
Please note that this isn't a post for directly comparing the two series
as that has been done to death. Also, everyone seems to have the
same answer when asked which series is superior; the series has
yet to be finished.

What I want to discuss is what the new series can bring to the
table. How it can improve the franchise as a whole and, most
importantly, where the final two movies need to go in order to
give the entire project the power it needs to stay relevent.

I personally find it rather interesting that there is only one more
angel left, Kaworu Nagisa, and two movies. The first two Rebuild
films had angel fight after angel fight. What does this mean for
the last two films, I wonder?

there are more than 1 angel left in the Rebuild series, at the end of the first one there are seven angels left, which would make the grand total of angels in rebuild 13, whether Kaworu will be the last angel is unknown. The third and fourth movies would have the battles of the last three angels. And similar to the TV series the last movies will most likely have character development and back stories given.
anime racket

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Guess I miscalculated the number of angels then, still it seems to
me that a battle with Kaworu will be the big fight in 3.0.

Do you think that there will still be a siege of Central Dogma?
shadow13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
Guess I miscalculated the number of angels then, still it seems to
me that a battle with Kaworu will be the big fight in 3.0.

Do you think that there will still be a siege of Central Dogma?

hard to say, by the looks of the preview in the end of 2.0, Seele already has NERV HQ under it's control. And what role Lilith will play is unknown especially with the introduction of the Key of Nebuchadnezzar in 2.0, which is hinted to play a part in human instrumentality. I am certainly hoping for a intense battle between Unit 08 and Unit 06
anime racket

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Units 8 and 6 look cool. The preview did say that the Nerv
staff were in captivity. Maybe Seele captures them and then sends
Kaworu in Unit 6 to.....well, who knows?

The Key will probably just replace the Adam sample in purpose
and general function. But, then again we have no way to know
for certain what's going to happen.
ethanftw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Considering the first two movies wrapped up most of the entire show, and there's still movies left, I think we can either expect to be really impressed or really let down.

What I mean is, I really hope they don't just dish out a bunch of boring nonsense for the last two movies. I would hope they build onto the series and make us more involved in the story as a whole. The trailer that was posted in the forums here for 3.0 looked pretty awesome. The biggest question seemed to be why does Asuka sport an eyepatch. Lots of different disputes arose. But in the trailer she also seemed to be in a huge epic battle.

I'm stoked for them to finish the movies though, in my opinion they are better than the series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Comparison rendered moot with the second movie heavily hinting spoiler[the rebuild movies are sequels thus "Old Eva" and "New Eva" are the same Eva. That being said I'm thus far thinking that the movies come across as more coherent and solid when compared with the series and older movies. I'm really hoping the final two rebuild movies maintain this. ]
anime racket

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
Overall, this new series has it's good points but there mostly
during the battles. I find it disappointing that the out of battle
scenes are, for the most part, less compelling than in the original
series.

Still, the ending scenes of 2.22 were quite impressive and
added nicely to the rest of the franchise.
detectiveai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I kind of like Rebuild more. It keeps a lot of the important plot points of the original, but skips a lot of the stuff that seemed to annoy people from the original (like Shinji sitting there, angsting for several minutes)... Also I like Mari.
hipnox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
as a huge Eva fan, i felt that REBUILD was a wasted opportunity to get new people started on the series.

From a narrative point of view, it is a mess. it feels like watching a sped up version of the series while cutting out most if not all character development and exposition/explanations. Even for someone who's seen the series its kinda hard to keep up without using previous eva knowledge from the original series or the manga. The first rebuild really felt like an excuse to remake the fight with Ramiel. The difference in quality in that scene from the rest of the movie is also kinda offsetting.

I've also seen the second one, but it didn't help keep me interested.

I feel REBUILD dropped the ball on one very important point: It barely has character development. Eva was never about cool action sequences. Granted, the eva fight scenes where memorable and the visuals where of extreme quality at the time, but the most important aspect of the series was its characters. The psychological
drama of the characters and their evolution and development as the series progressed was what made the series so interesting to begin with (yes, shinji included). This is completely gone in the movies, thus i feel REBUILD missed the point of the series completely, and that it failed to live up to its source material, let alone improve upon it.

As for the new character, all i can say is "Why?". what was the point? i couldn't possibly care less about this random Asuka wannabe that takes away precious camera time.

But that's just me anyway. I will see the two remaining movies and then pass final judgment, but i feel its just downhill from here
Confused
anime racket

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote
I just watched the End of Evangelion for the first time yesterday.
It certainly was a rather twisted experience and kinda shook me
up.

Still, looking back I realize that that is what the whole series has
been about. It certainly was a fitting conclusion to the series in
my opinion and what better way to explain Third Impact than to
show it happening?
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
hipnox wrote:
I feel REBUILD dropped the ball on one very important point: It barely has character development. Eva was never about cool action sequences. Granted, the eva fight scenes where memorable and the visuals where of extreme quality at the time, but the most important aspect of the series was its characters. The psychological
drama of the characters and their evolution and development as the series progressed was what made the series so interesting to begin with (yes, shinji included). This is completely gone in the movies, thus i feel REBUILD missed the point of the series completely, and that it failed to live up to its source material, let alone improve upon it.

If we operate under the assumption that Rebuild is a sequel instead of a remake, then there already has been character development. Shinji has developed as a character, as you can see in 2.22. Contrast the kid you see as protagonist in the End of Evangelion (spoiler[who ushers in the end of the world because he's so sad]) and the one in Rebuild who seemingly is dismantling his own depression while learning how to actually care about people.
ethanftw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
hipnox wrote:
as a huge Eva fan, i felt that REBUILD was a wasted opportunity to get new people started on the series.

From a narrative point of view, it is a mess. it feels like watching a sped up version of the series while cutting out most if not all character development and exposition/explanations. Even for someone who's seen the series its kinda hard to keep up without using previous eva knowledge from the original series or the manga. The first rebuild really felt like an excuse to remake the fight with Ramiel. The difference in quality in that scene from the rest of the movie is also kinda offsetting.

I've also seen the second one, but it didn't help keep me interested.

As for the new character, all i can say is "Why?". what was the point? i couldn't possibly care less about this random Asuka wannabe that takes away precious camera time.

But that's just me anyway. I will see the two remaining movies and then pass final judgment, but i feel its just downhill from here
Confused

I can see where you are coming from, but I have to disagree with some key points here and bring up some thoughts of my own.

I do agree that the point of the series was probably to draw in new fans to the series. Most likely people who had never seen NGA before watched the movies and then decided they were good and to watch the series.

However, unlike most people I didn't really enjoy NGA for what it was intended for. Anyone that knows the series will tell you the point of NGA was the character development and how they progressed through the series. This became weird to me though. I understood it all up until the ending episodes where I didn't know what was really going on. Now that I read up on what happened and etc, I do get what exactly happened. My point is, I enjoyed NGA for the EVAs. If they would have made it a pure mecha show about the EVAs, I personally would have enjoyed the series even more.

The entire point to what I'm saying is, that I like the movies actually more than the original series. This is because for a fan like me, they cut out a lot of the other stuff, and mainly focused on some more of the fights and sped through a lot of Shinji's depressed-ness (is that a word?), and decided not to implement a lot of other things.

This also brings up another point though. Had I not seen the series prior to watching the movies, I don't think I would be able to follow the movies as well. You are right in the aspect that there is A LOT that viewer is left to fill in his/herself from seeing the original series.

Also, I have no clue what the point of adding the new character was either, but we'll see what happens in the next movies, and maybe she will play a bigger, better role.
hipnox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
@ethanftw

Well, if what you enjoyed about the original EVA is the action and mech sequences, then yeah, Rebuild does trim a lot of the "fat" away.
I'll admit that the fight with Ramiel (The one with the positron rifle) look 10x times better and felt 10x more epic in Rebuild than in NGE, but it was the climax of the movie, so i guess it was expected to be that way. In NGE its just another angel fight (granted, one of the most memorable). Too bad the fight with Leliel (the zebra sphere) is not in Rebuild. I consider it to be one of the better angels in NGE.

Regarding the finale of the original series, even today after a few rewatches both NGE and the movie The End of Evangelion i still don't really understand the whole thing. I am curious though as to what route will the Rebuild take. Will it show spoiler[the attack on Nerv] like in the movie, or will it take us into LSD land like in Eps 25 and 26? A mix of both perhaps?
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I`m wrong, but didn`t Anno say that Rebuild is it`s own story?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2