• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Night of the Milky Way Railway

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amasa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quote
Well first of all the title is ugly. I just read Sarah M. Strong's translation and guide to Miyazawa Kenji's brilliant novel. This is the novel that Night on the Galactic Railroad was adapted from. And I prefer the film title.

I highly recommend it. It's short, very pretty, and entertaining. It's one of those books where you try to find hidden meaning in everything. Every object, every action, seems like a symbol and it does get quite tiring but after reading the guide afterwards I realised that it's really not that difficult and not everything needs to be trivialised or intellectualised to enjoy it.
I also realised after finishing the book what an excellent job Gisaburo Sugii did when he directed the anime film. I love it that he turned the main characters into cats, I haven't read why he did it but I don't see it as a destructive change at all. Also he really captured the simplicity of the novel, the eerie context, and mysterious setting.

If you're interested in Buddhism or the anime film, you should read this book if you haven't already. I like it better than the film obviously, but it also made me like the film a bit more.
naru girl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
hey i think i will read that and thank you for the info.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1