• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you like mecha shows?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime racket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
This a thread for discussing whether or not you like mecha shows,
which series you like or don't like, and whether or not their your
favorite genre.

I used to really dislike mecha, so much in fact that if I had known
beforehand that Code Geass contained mechs I would never have
bought it. Through it, I began to really enjoy the fights, especially
the larger scale battles. Since then I began to like Evangelion and
martian successor nadesico but have avoided straight mech shows
like gundam other than the endless waltz movie, which I enjoyed.

As to whether or not It's my favorite genre. No, I don't even think
I have a favorite genre unless deconstruction series count as a
genre.
4750G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
I too was not a fan of mecha before. I think it was because of the bulk of Gundam series when I was young. Then, I was not into violence or war or any of those themes presented in the Gundam series. But I think more than that it's the idea that it's the robots that are fighting, not the people themselves. I just really prefer hand to hand combat more. But even if I said that, my first favorite anime was Magic Knight Rayearth. Weird. After that anime though, the next mecha anime I watched would be Full Metal Panic! which was years after. Now mecha sits well with me, but it's not my top pick.
anime racket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
@4750G

Magic Knight Rayearth is a mecha anime? Funny, I borrowed the
first volume of the manga from the library and didn't see a hint of
a giant mech anywhere.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote
Sure. Various Gundam and Macross being my favorites, along with stuff like Gunbuster, TTGL and the first Patlabor movie(s).

I don't know, this "genre" has something for everyone. From stories to hardcore seinen audiences to kids. For some reason people tend to downlook mecha shows as if it was some kind of uniform genre, but well, their loss.
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
Well technically those Armors that the girls get are kind of Mecha-like. Similar to that Maze show.

I don't hate mecha, I also don't love mecha. I think I can tollerate pretty much any kind of show, as long as it's interesting.

However I usually avoid stuff like Gundam when it comes to shows, just because when I tried to watch it, it simply did not cath my interest. I do own a couple of mecha shows (mostly Macross).
vegetatown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
hell yeah i like mecha!
Zeta Gundam, Macross, Patlabor the Mobile Police, even code geass to a degree...awesome stuff.
my favorite is of course Gurren Lagann though, hands down.

I suppose i like mecha because i like cars and in general I enjoy studying physics/using power tools. Some of the best memories i have as a kid are going to watch the funny car races and seeing cars explode down a 1/4 mile track at 300-400 mph in seconds. When I first saw gundam wing back in 2000 or so (that and dbz got me into anime) it was like all that old excitement from the funny car races all over again.

I mean basically Mecha is like every mechanically inclined guy's dream as a mecha is basically in concept just like a car (or better yet a plane) engineered to such perfection that it can rock an entire battlefield. i mean what guy hasn't secretly dreamed of getting the sawzall out and carving up a walking death tank that literally would make the world bow to you (even though it would still get easily taken out by a nuke, but hey they're invincible in anime so why not in the real world too.)

Yeah mecha is cool. Personally i only prefer fighting and sci-fi anime over mecha, and usually the three mix up alot anyway.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Well technically those Armors that the girls get are kind of Mecha-like.

Replace the kind of, with exactly. Magic Knight Rayearth is very much a mecha show.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
'Like' is such a vague term. It'd be more accurate to say that I LOVE THEM WITH THE BURNING PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS!

Mostly just Super Robot shows, though. Got little interest in Gundam (not counting 08th MS Team and G Gundam, of course) or most other real robot shows other the Takahashi shows for that matter. And let's not even talk about stuff like Infinite Stratos...
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I have quite a bit of interest in mecha anime from both the "real" and "super" robot genres from titles like Macross and Gundam for "real robot" to RahXephon and Gurren Lagann for the "super robot" genre. As long as the title has an engaging plot and likeable characters, seeing a mecha title is no different for me from seeing other genres in anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Despite playing in a SRW-themed RP, I've never been big on mecha shows as a genre, but considering I watch things for characterization over action, if a series has good characters, I'll still watch it.

I have noticed that I prefer /m/agical girl series over pure mecha, though, and I've started watching tokusatsu series (namely KS Gokaiger and Kamen Rider) and enjoy them.

And yes, Rayearth is totally mecha.
4750G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
anime racket, yes it is. I did a quick search on the internet to check and that's what it told me.

Quote:
Magic Knight Rayearth (魔法騎士レイアース, Majikku Naito Reiāsu) is a manga series created by CLAMP that combines elements from the magical girl and mecha anime genres with parallel world fantasy.

I guess it doesn't really look like it because Rayeath, Ceres, and Windam are technically Rune Gods and not robots. But according to this website, they kind of are. Smile
anime racket

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that's cool. I suppose that initial manga volume was rather misleading as I found it rather boring. Might wanna check the series
out now.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Since mecha shows have occupied over a hundred of the anime I've seen, yeah, I like mecha. Laughing

As far as the individual sub-genres go, I tend to enjoy the "real mecha" type where the mechs are treated more like vehicles or tools such as Armored Trooper Votoms, Blue Gender, Code Geass, Full Metal Panic, and Gasaraki. What I don't like usually in a mecha show are when there's a team of people piloting their own piece of the mech and it has to transform every episode in some long drawn out over-glorified and extended annoying sequence.
killmyself

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't like shows where the focus is mecha battles. A show could have them and still be something I like but it would have to be character driven with battles as an aside and either funny or well written. For me my enjoyment of action anime and especially mecha because I just can't relate to it as much as hand to hand, guns, and melee fighting is based on how well everything outside of the fight scenes is done.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
What I don't like usually in a mecha show are when there's a team of people piloting their own piece of the mech and it has to transform every episode in some long drawn out over-glorified and extended annoying sequence.

Bah, combinations are the very soul of mecha!

Last edited by Generic #757858 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3