• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime openings

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quote
I have two favorite openings. One is the Gundam Wing opening, featuring Just Communication, and the other is the Tenchi Muyo OAV opening... mainly because of the music. Even though I can never understand what the singers are saying, it still grabs my interest.

Which intros stick best in your mind as a anime fan?
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quote
That's weird, I have the Tenchi muyo OAV and I can understand them perfectly.

Then again, it is an English song "I Am a Pioneer", so you probably have the DVD's (I only have the VHS).

Favorite openings?
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya opening Bouken Desho Desho?
Elfen Lied's Lillium
Bleach's Asterik

And yes, I am including the animated sequences that go along with the music.
Gage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
Meiaminkbell wrote:
That's weird, I have the Tenchi muyo OAV and I can understand them perfectly.

Then again, it is an English song "I Am a Pioneer", so you probably have the DVD's (I only have the VHS).

Favorite openings?
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya opening Bouken Desho Desho?
Elfen Lied's Lillium
Bleach's Asterik

And yes, I am including the animated sequences that go along with the music.

Yeah, I have the VHS tapes but I'm sticking to YouTube to watch the opening, heh. Wouldn't want to ware the tapes down, would I? Razz
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quote
I love all the openings for NANA, though I think Wish was my favourite so far, mainly because it had the best song IMO and it also showed the majority of the cast, rather than just the two Nanas (with Blast in there as well), and shows them in an interesting way. Mainly it is the music though.

I also love the openings for DNAngel, which I need to watch more of. It has some really interesting symbolism going, along with great music and again showing a lot of the cast.

Wolf's Rain has a great openings, especially because the song is really easy to sing along with for me since it is in the English. The best point about it however is that it's spoiler[connected to the very last scene of the anime and thus has a bit more point to it than most openings].

Pretear's is also very good, I especially love spoiler[when they change it near the last episodes to add Takako in as herself, rather than just as Mikage, and the Saihi symbolism with Himeno is awesome.]

There's a few others that I really love the songs for (xxxHolic, Ouran, Paradise Kiss) though I don't care as much for the animation.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
I thought so!

Just a sec...

http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/tenchi/imapioneer.htm

Although I can't guarantee that this is the exact translation of it, the english song is sung at the same tempo, rythym and instrumental pace as the Japanese opening so I have no reason to believe it isnt a reasonable translation.

Man, watching TM opening sure does bring back good memories... *feels nostalgic*
Gage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
I'm not fully adapted in the anime universe yet, marie-antoinette but I might check out those openings! Maybe it could even get me into new series, who knows? Then there's also the Tenchi Universe opening, Meiaminkbell. Although, in my opinion, the Japanese version sounds better than the English.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
I found Tenchi Universe, or Tenchi TV1, to not be as good as the OVA. However, we're getting off topic, so let us continue on the discussion of openings.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
For Spring 2007...

1. Hayate no Gotoku from Hayate the Combat Butler: The more I listened to it the more I found myself liking it. It's one of those arrangements where the backgrounds stay completely out of KOTOKO's way, thus showcasing her voice and thus this song is good. That and it's really really catchy.

2. Romantic Summer from Seto no Hanayome: I've grown quite fond of Nogawa's voice, and Halko's putting aside her high-pitched cute voice in favor of a much lower, edgy voice is always a spectacle to behold (doesn't happen in many songs). In addition to finding it amusing that Halko's voice would be lower than (insert any other singer/seiyuu here), I like the catchy arrangement and the way the two trade off vocals.

3. Motteke! Sailor Fuku from Lucky Star: I love the fast-paced high-speed hyper energy catchiness, and how the lyrics seem completely random but actually kind of make sense when you piece them together. And the full version of the song is worth hearing just for the "ooh ooh ah"s toward the end.

4. Uninstall from Bokurano: "Uninstall...Uninstall..." is extremely catchy to unprecendented levels. Thus it siezes a spot here. Plus, it's a good well-arranged song (sounds too much like Yoko Takahashi though, I thought it was her at first).

5. colorless wind from sola: Sounds to me like it's definitely an I've arranged song, and the beginning is catchy and powerful and awesome. The rest of the song is okay, like a slightly watered down version of Tori no Uta from Air, but it's still a good song nevertheless.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
Pani Poni Dash and Utawarerumono have the distinction of being the only 2 shows in quite some where I have watched the opening with nearly every episode. In the case of PPD, it's party due to the opening changing so often... but even then, I get all giddy when Roulette*Roulette kicks in. I need to pick up the sound track for that show.

The only other one I can think of right now is RahXepheon. I didn't like the show enough to keep the DVDs, but I liked Hemishpere enough to get Maaya Sakamoto's CDs. Great song.
nwoo_2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
For me I would say:

Yu Gi OH: Duel Monsters Overlap, pretty fast paced song and the visuals are quite nice.

Rurouni Kenshin 3rd Opening, just a shame the episodes that proceeded it were, well, crap.

there are more but I thought i'd include these as I doubt anyone else would.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 has got a great-looking and great-sounding intro. I can recall watching and re-watching that thing when ADV was just using it as a trailer for the series before it came out. (I was also an old BGC fan, so that didn't hurt, either.)

Stand-Alone Complex: 2nd Gig has perhaps one of the best thought-out and executed openers I've seen in recent memory. The pacing is just great (though Major Kusanagi looks strangely "off model" in it).

Otaku No Video
, Escaflowne, Orguss-02, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop and Nadia all have very watchable opening credits as well. (Otaku No Video's is frickin' CLASSIC.)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned this one if the funniest scenes thread but I love the show so I love being able to talk even more about it lol. The opening that sticks out with me the most is Hare'+Guu. The upbeat islandish music just gets me all perky and happy. The song is cute and warm and fuzzy. The best part is watching the characters dance in the opening because they dance like crazy people. It's a totally infectious opening that will make you want to dance and sing along. I must watch it now!!!! lol
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Too many to choose from, though here's the current top few.

Through the Night (Outlaw Star)

It's probably because of the fact that Outlaw star was one of the first few anime I saw, but it had an effect on me.

Re-sublimity (Kannazuki no Miko)

It's probably not so much the music but the combination of the music and the images in the first segment of the opening that makes this one stick with me. Unfortunately it starts to lose me in the latter part but I still really like it.

Will (Melody of Oblivion)

Probably one of the best examples I can think of showing how interposing classical instruments/music with modern music can be immensely powerful. It starts out slow but I really liked the last bit after the tempo began to pick up.

Jounetsu (Tokyo Underground)

I shelled out for the entire boxed set on the spot purely because of this opening. I personally really don't like the animated segment that goes with it but the music was very very powerful and drew me into plunking down a lot of money just on that one aspect alone.

Personally, I wish that some of the better openings could've been somehow extended to cover the full 3+ minute version of the song and not just the short one minute version that is used when making a TV opening.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JirouKun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I definitely think Eva has one of the best anime opening sequences. I love the beat, the lyrics, and the melody.
Ayhoser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
My favs are

Excel Saga- I love how the sound goes along with the animation.

Cowboy Bebop- Don't think there is a better song for an anime opening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6