• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fujoshi Kanojo

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
Official site (Japanese)

This blog-turned-novel (non-fiction) was called "Densha Otoko: The Reverse" by some. It was so popular in Japan that big bookstore chains e.g. Kinokuniya sold out every copy. I didn't know it has been licensed in Taiwan, and the next day I learned its existence the bookstore told me "being backordered." Shocked Hopefully I'll get one at Comic Exhibition '07.

The "mini-game" at the official site was fun enough. Try it on girls near you. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
This blog-turned-novel (non-fiction) was called "Densha Otoko: The Reverse" by some.

So, it's basically Densha Otoko except a girl is the lead? Neato. I loved Densha Otoko (from the manga I've read).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
So, it's basically Densha Otoko except a girl is the lead? Neato. I loved Densha Otoko (from the manga I've read).

Not exactly, for the author wrote it from his perspective.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Not exactly, for the author wrote it from his perspective.

Ah, okay. It looks interesting, but I think the only way I'll be able to pick it up is if a company decides to bring it over here. That would probably depend on how well Densha Otoko did -- something to which I have no clue. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Ah, okay. It looks interesting, but I think the only way I'll be able to pick it up is if a company decides to bring it over here. That would probably depend on how well Densha Otoko did -- something to which I have no clue. Sad

I didn't know the sales figures either, but from gossiping with bookstores I learned that Fujoshi Kanojo is hugely popular (the first batch was sold out in less than a week), probably more so than Densha Otoko when it was licensed last year. Possible reasons:

1. Densha Otoko has been circling around the net for way too long and almost everyone knows what it is about. There's little need to re-read the story.

2. The book of Densha Otoko was not even a novel; it was a collection of forum posts, and many of them were one-liners. On the other hand, Fujoshi Kanojo was a collection of blog entries written in first person perspective, which at very least more readable and interesting than a collection of posts.

3. Densha Otoko is such a loser: he tried to hide his hobbies by begging and adapting suggestions and opinions from total strangers -- and failed. Fujoshi Kanojo never tried to hide her hobbies (other than spoiler[using her boyfriend's Amazon.jp account to buy Fate/stay night game and Fate/hollow ataraxia]); she's beautiful, strong-minded, and dominant, in a "I am what I am and that's all that I am" way. Heck, she's REALLY good at titillating the author (such as spoiler[cosplaying as a nurse with nekomimi at Christmas Night, or in his high school uniform without underwear]).
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I didn't know the sales figures either, but from gossiping with bookstores I learned that Fujoshi Kanojo is hugely popular (the first batch was sold out in less than a week), probably more so than Densha Otoko when it was licensed last year.

To my knowledge (*guess*), Densha Otoko probably didn't do as well as it could have over here. There were barely any advertisements from what I noticed, but if it's that popular, then I'm sure someone (Del Rey, please?) will pick it up relatively soon. Light novels have definitely become more popular with companies.

dormcat wrote:
Fujoshi Kanojo never tried to hide her hobbies (other than spoiler[using her boyfriend's Amazon.jp account to buy Fate/stay night game and Fate/hollow ataraxia]); she's beautiful, strong-minded, and dominant, in a "I am what I am and that's all that I am" way. Heck, she's REALLY good at titillating the author (such as spoiler[cosplaying as a nurse with nekomimi at Christmas Night, or in his high school uniform without underwear]).

From the sound of it, her character would do really well with American fans (especially girls). The story definitely sounds more fun and interesting.

Last edited by Aromatic Grass on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Certainly sounds like something that would be great to read. (Sadly, I am limited to the English language and currently see no prospects of learning another. Crying or Very sad )

I rather enjoyed the CMX manga release of Densha Otoko, probably because it was a bit more comedy over drama, and I'd love to read something else in the same vein of ultra fan and normal person dating.

And cosplaying is always welcome in fiction, be it illustrated or pure narrative.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:51 am Reply with quote
Manga adaptation announced. Laughing
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Yes! At least that has a higher chance of making it to the States. Maybe the novel with come after? Razz I don't know, I'm just in the mood to read more good novels. I still think that her character (as well as his) will do much better than Densha Otoko's, just because they sound more appealing.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Yes! At least that has a higher chance of making it to the States. Maybe the novel with come after? Razz I don't know, I'm just in the mood to read more good novels. I still think that her character (as well as his) will do much better than Densha Otoko's, just because they sound more appealing.

OOOhhh! I heard of this a lil' while ago...I can't wait. I hope they bring the manga over. It has a better chance in manga form rather than book form. I could already see Viz picking this up.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Hey, that looks pretty good! With luck, we'll see the manga, the novel, and how about an anime adaption (pretty please with a plushie on top?) come to our various homelands next year.

The art style kind of reminds me of Peach Girl for some reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1