• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Whats better? manga then anime or vice versa?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoke

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Whats better reading the manga then watching the anime or watchin the anime then reading the manga?
I typically wait for the anime of a manga to start and watch it. If I like it I might read the manga. I'm not much of a manga fan though, so i take that into account. I rather watch action then read it a see still frames of it.

just my opinion.
mathious

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Personally I normally choose to watch the anime first and then read the manga unless the manga goes farther ahead than the what the episodes are at then I'll read farther ahead with the manga. Once in a while I'll read the manga first, but only if I've heard really good opinions on the manga.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
It depends on the gerne. I think I would read the manga first. That's how I really got more into anime. My first manga was probably Naruto, then that got me into the Naruto anime series. But then I got tired of having to watch so much fricken flash-backs and filler so I moved on reading something else which was BLEACH. The good part of reading the manga first is that you can find out what happens sooner than in the anime. The bad thing is that you may feel bored watching the anime after read the manga over a couple of times and that you don't excited as much as you would if you handn't read the manga.[/code]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I like to watch the anime first and then read the manga normally. I normally don't like to know what happens while watching an anime. Sometimes foreknowledge cannot be avoided if you started reading (or completely read) the manga before the anime was ever produced, but It's nice going back to read the manga to compare the differences. Especially if the anime diverted at some point (like Fullmetal Alchemist or Chrono Crusade). Plus, I'll have the [English] anime voices stuck in my head, so I'll hear them while reading the manga. In some special cases though (Death Note for example), watching the anime makes me want to start reading the manga right away so I can see what happens next.

It does depend on the genre though. I've learned that watching an anime comedy first makes the manga underwhelming for me a lot of the time. Either I'll just read the manga first (I'm doing this currently with Yakitate!! Japan) or just not read it at all when it comes to comedies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
For me, it doesn't depend so much on the genre, but on the quality of the work. There are some anime that I feel are supirior to the manga form (Eva, Bebop) but for many anime, the manga came first, and thus has a lot more depth and backround than they could fit into an anime. I've seen anime that I thought were fairly good (GTO, Berzerk) then found the manga and absolutely loved it. Simply because a manga does honestly allow you more freedom, they tend to do a little more with it.

In closing, for me, there doesn't seem to be a definitive better or worse, it's all circumstancial.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I think it also depends, because at times the manga is way ahead of the anime and is going to have more details on certain subjects within the series when compared to the anime. On the opposite side, if the anime comes out and finishes before the manga gets to the point where the anime finishes, then you come to like the anime a bit more. For the most part I think the manga part of a series is better.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
For me, it's the idea that the manga is better than the anime.

However, it depends on the manga. If it's something like Negima, then okay. But if it's something like "Welcome To NHK," then I would start wondering loudly as to why it's survived so far.

Then again, I don't really know if "depressing stories that's parading around as 'comedies'" are that popular in the US. If anybody can direct me to a third-party tracker of trends in anime and manga, please don't hesitate. Idea
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't think it matters. The key is that they are both shown the proper attention they deserve. If you spend all your time on the manga then just produce the anime quickly to go with it the anime will most likely not be as good as it was rushed and not shown the proper care. The opposite applies to that as well. I have seen example where the manga was better, and examples where the anime was better. I would say based on general opinions and examples the manga does have more favor on it's side when there's a joint anime to go with it. My opinion is try both and see for yourself. Try and keep an open mind and don't form any opinions without trying both out first. Sometimes if you expect something not to be as good as something else you give it less consideration and don't appreciate it as much.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
The basic rule is to view the "original" first and then view the 'adaption"
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
The basic rule is to view the "original" first and then view the 'adaption"

That is a good idea, and one I generally adhere to, but I just want to point out (not personally to you darkhunter, just in general) the fact that doing that does not mean one version is better then the other. It is a good way to view manga/anime but just keep in mind the original is not always the better version.
mind over matter

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
so far I'm not a huge manga reader, but I've looked for the manga of some of the anime series that I really liked. I usually like reading the manga after because the nature of manga can some times be hard to understand or follow (I rely a lot on hair color and voice pitch to discern similar characters, especially when they are done in the same art style). Reading the manga after gives me a new perspective and lets me relive the anime.
But I have to say, that most of the time I appreciate the drawings in manga much more than anime because the feelings of the artist are more transferred over into the reader with manga
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I typically go for the manga. It's cheaper, and I can read through it as quickly/slowly as I like. Which is good, like in multi-chapter battles like in Naruto.

Although some anime are just so well done I stick to that. Fullmetal Alchemist, for example. I bought the first volume of the manga, but didn't really have an interest to continue it. As far as I'm concerned, the FMA anime/movie ended in a satisfying way for me.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Most of the time, I watched the anime first... If like the anime, I read the manga because there are stories in the manga which is not animated. Take for example Midori no Hibi... you can see a lot of new character in the manga compared to anime. And not just for the story, I watch the anime first to have an idea how I will voice the character in my mind as I read it's manga Razz, I have a wild imagination you see... It's more entertaining to feel how the character's voice would be than just reading it without knowing how the voice sounds like. (That's for me) :3
covah

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
depends on the series. most of the time its the manga which is better since they can't fit as much as the manga into the shows. IE Hellsing.

pretty much after episode 9 of the Hellsing show I'm pretty sure the production studio was like "oh crap, theres only 4 episodes left and about a billion pages of story in the manga to fill" so they just completely left out the Nazi plot and made up their own random plot that didn't really make too much sense.
l3lueMage

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I hardly read manga, but if I watch a series and I see lots of comments saying the manga was better then I may pick it up. I'm not too much into the whole comic book type thing though, if they made an anime into a full novel then I would definitely pick it up Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2