• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Databases?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delirium

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

on my search for a some pieces (Staff&Cast, japanese release date etc.) of information about an obscure anime movie from the 60s, I am wondering why there aren´t any sorts of extensive database only for anime on the web. Ya know, a site like IMDB.com, but which only covers anime and probably manga, too.

Sure there´re sites like Richard Lwellyn´s Andivots, AnimeNFO.com, Bestanime.com and Anime-Daisuki.com, but none of them give you a general scope on all the animes released out there including such nice thingies like search engine, cross references, media information etc..

Of course, I can always refer to the print sources available in English, but a web database can offer so much more features compared to your ordinary "encyclopedias", such like actuality, user interaction, nitpicks and correction all the times.

So my question is why has nobody tried to build such a site yet? There´re enough anime fans out there who can program SQL and PHP, so this shouldn´t be the issue.

What do you think? Should there be a site like that or are you confident with the current information offerings about anime on the internet right now?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 3:46 pm Reply with quote
There's this online databse http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rllew/anitv.html , but it's only for TV shows. And it's exhaustive, but not complete. Searching for information about anime that aired on TV Ontario in the 1980s, I found credits for Belle and Sebastien, but not The Little Prince. Aldo, you can only search by title, not director. The Internet Movie Database does give cast n' crew credits for some series though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Delirium wrote:

Sure there´re sites like Richard Lwellyn´s Andivots

Oh sorry, upon further examination, the List of Anime Television Series is part of Richard Lwellyn's site, so I guess you already know about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:52 am Reply with quote
Delirium wrote:

So my question is why has nobody tried to build such a site yet? There´re enough anime fans out there who can program SQL and PHP, so this shouldn´t be the issue.

What do you think? Should there be a site like that or are you confident with the current information offerings about anime on the internet right now?

Right now there really isn't anything like what you are looking for. As you and tenchi pointed out there are a number of sites that offer partial solutions, but nothing complete.

What I can tell you is that someone is working on a database just like the one you want to see, but when they get around to publicizing it is something I don't know.

Their project looks very exciting and I will be sure to publicize it on ANN when they permit me to.

You can always discuss features that you would want to see and maybe I can convince them to read the webboard.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 10:36 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

What I can tell you is that someone is working on a database just like the one you want to see, but when they get around to publicizing it is something I don't know.

"Does the fact that I'm trying to do it do it for you?" - Dignan, Bottle Rocket.

It's cool that someone is working on the anime equivalent of the Internet Movie Database. But that's going to be a popular site which will take up a lot of hard drive space on the server and use a lot of bandwidth (especially if it offers the same sort of features as the IMDb such as user reviews and message boards). Wouldn't it be cheaper just to submit the info to the real IMDb since they do accept info about anime? Or does he (or she) have a major sponsor or three backing the project?
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

If you can't wait for someone to go and make an online encyclopedia, there are always companions which do fairly well in their own aspects:
The Anime Encyclopedia by Stonebridge Press
Guide to Japanese Animation by Protoculture Addicts

For an enormous listing of anime titles (2000+, each with some review-ish content and sometimes insightful commentary about why or how the show was made the way it was) with good staff information, I recommend the Anime Encyclopedia.

IIRC, the Guide to Japanese Animation has only a few hundred entries, but has significantly more detailed information.

You can buy both at TRSI, probably.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 3:06 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Wouldn't it be cheaper just to submit the info to the real IMDb since they do accept info about anime?

Ha! Have you ever tried submitting information to the IMDb? The last time I tried, it was to enter award information for the movies that won awards at the Montreal Fantasia Festival. I waited for months and the information didn't appear, so I got tired of waiting. Then, at least three or four months later, I visited IMDb and there was the info I had entered! Unless you have special access to IMDb (if you're in the entertainment business), it's just not very practical.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

Ha! Have you ever tried submitting information to the IMDb?

Yes, I submit info to the IMDb frequently; someimes it takes only a couple of days for stuff to appaear (information about Seiko Matsuda's appearance on King of the Hill last Sunday that I submitted on Tuesday is already up; it also took them only a couple of days for them to post a short little rant I did about the Canadian movie Clutch where Tom Green was one of the three top-billed stars in this film in the Bell ExpressVu description, yet he only appears in the film for 30 seconds), other times it has taken months, and other times things I submitted were never used (anime nitpicks for Patlabor and Gundam 0080; they probably couldn't verify these nits, or they were too plot-specific to be listed as "goofs"). I guess they get thousands of submissions a day, and foreign language films/TV shows (including anime) are low down in their updating prority list (to be added when they get time).

I have absolutely nothing against starting a brand new all-encompassing IMDb-style database for anime/manga; all I was saying is that it will be an awfully expensive undertaking, and there will have to be a few major sponsors (on the level of Pioneer or Bandai) for it to reach its full potential.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1