• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Psychic Detective Yakumo (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo (Japanese).

Two words:

I see dead people.

And I also see Ghost Hunt in this. After all, a haunted abandoned old building right off the bat (+more). Not that I'm calling it a copycat or anything.

Anyway, first and second episodes were quite good, but what seems to be the antagonist didn't impress me at all. The heroine didn't quite impress me either, but I'd say she can get there if she tries a bit harder.
Now, the protagonist is what I'm after (theoretically, not sexually). His voice actor is excellent (also doing Shion in LOL Heroes), and his personality is enough to make girls pull down their panties.

So far I'd say this anime would get a 7/10, and could potentially get as good as 8/10 or even get down to 5/10. Anyway, the odds are against it. At the very least I'm quite positive that it will bring a few good emotional scenes.
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I love how so far, both cases ended up having someone living behind the case...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
This show is on the cusp for me. If I don't like it any better by the third or fourth eppie, I'm gone. In eppie 2, besides the fact that I found the "case" boring, I hated the way the main chick just accepts the abuse from that douche-bag. Have a little pride for Christ's sake.
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
This show is on the cusp for me. If I don't like it any better by the third or fourth eppie, I'm gone. In eppie 2, besides the fact that I found the "case" boring, I hated the way the main chick just accepts the abuse from that douche-bag. Have a little pride for Christ's sake.

that's kind of what makes it entertaining. normally it's the girl with the attitude and the guy who takes the verbal beatings... It'll be an interesting dynamic to see how he slowly starts warming up to her.

The underplayed 'psychic' part of things needs to take a serious rise, though. as of two episodes it's 'wtf'ing me.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Is this show targeting towards girls? I feel like it must be, because of the pretty-boy protagonist and the show being told from the female's point of view. Anyway, I liked the two episodes enough to continue watching for now, but if it doesn't get much better or if the main plot doesn't show up faster, I'll be dropping it in favor of marathoning Claymore, which I've just now gotten into.

I find it interesting that there are a lot of horror shows targeted towards women in Japan, or at least shows with very dark overtones to them. I feel like it's the opposite here in the states.
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
Is this show targeting towards girls? I feel like it must be, because of the pretty-boy protagonist and the show being told from the female's point of view.

The anime is based on a seinen novel series. Haruka is the novels' predominant storyteller. As such, she gives the reader an outsider's view of Yakumo's world. As she learns about him, we learn about him through her.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
This show didn't deserve the nastiness it got in the preview guide, however it has been pretty mediocre for its first two episodes. I'm hoping that it can get better, because it does show promise.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
After watching the first episode, I am keen on seeing more. It did drag a bit in the beginning, yet got me interested at the end of the episode. Hopefully it will pick up in future episodes. This series is pretty promising and I am liking it so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I like the show a lot it gives me a paranormal investigating Ghost Hunt vibe and I liked that show a lot.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode more than the second.

I like the main character, but I'm hoping to see him grow a bit as the series progresses. I'm not quite sure what I think of the female lead. She feels a little typical and bland, but I'm sure she'll prove more interesting later.

It was a huge relief to see other characters introduced who may have a similar attribute as the main character. I hope the pace picks up a little bit or that an larger plot develops from these new characters. At the same time, I'm dreading the "monster of the week" feel.

Love the character designs, music, and art of the series. I feel like it's one of the best looking shows (albeit dark) for this season - that I'm interested in anyways.

Mr. Gruntsworthy wrote:
I love how so far, both cases ended up having someone living behind the case...

Yeah. I'd have to say that was my favorite part of each episode. I'm suddenly reminded of scooby-doo. "And I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids and that mangy mutt!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bahumut75

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to see where this series goes. I'm a huge sucker for shows like this, I enjoyed Ghost Hunt immensely , and if this ends up being like that I'll be plenty happy. I'm enjoying the main characters so far; they aren't exactly blowing me away, but they're engaging enough.

My favorite part of mystery-type shows is usually when the protagonist puts together an eloquent series of evidence that points to the true culprit, living or not. So far, it has felt a little forced to me in the first two episodes, particularly in the second. Yakumo just shows up and fires off a list of things that I don't think were even hinted at before. I'm still enjoying it, but I do hope that the arcs get longer and/or there is a bit more foreshadowing.
Kinlyu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
What surprised me most in the first ep was the preview... it made me think 'wow, this one's going fast'. I think I'll give it a shot Smile
GeekyBlackGirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually enjoying it so far. I agree that the female lead is not very interesting but she has time to develop her character. I do like Yakumo's personality and whats also keeping me watching is the fact they always end with those interesting group of characters that we really don't know much about but I'm sure they know a lot about Yakumo.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
So, how was it guys?

I thought it was an enjoyable ride. I find a second season unnecessary ,despite the fact that his father's motivations were never explained any further.
Right now I'll be giving it 8/10, but since I'm drunk, that could be changed easily. Laughing Originally I was going to give it 7/10, but a few things changed my mind.
First we had that very cute little girl who couldn't speak, and was cute throughly the series. Frankly, she didn't have to do anything, as just standing there made the series better. This is one of the very rare cases where, even if the character were male, I'd still feel the same way.
Second is the protagonist. He seemed like a dick, and in a manner that's correct. But he cared about others, it's just that he thinks that expressing himself isn't a necessity (I share that mindset). I really liked the way he kept his cool despite a few events that would deeply affect a dickhead.

Glad I kept watching it. Despite the lack of story/plot originality (and main heroine's utterly generic traits), I certainly encountered many characters I liked; characters that I usually have trouble finding in most anime.

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what I think of the female lead. She feels a little typical and bland, but I'm sure she'll prove more interesting later.

Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
It was good overall but frankly the ending sucked. spoiler[Yakumo's father is still out there ahaunting and Nanase's body isn't found. On top of that there practically zero progress with the main character's relationship. At least Gotou fixed his and adopted Nao.] Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2