• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where to buy anime DVDs?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
//Furfari1994//

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
Hey everyone! For some time now I've been wanting to buy dvds / blu rays for anime such as Bleach, Naruto and Inuyasha. The problem I am having is that, "Viz Media" the company that licenses and sells these anime do not ship to my area. I currently live in Vaughan, Ontario (a suburb of Toronto) in Canada. Does anyone know how I may be able to rightfully buy these dvds? I'm aware of amazon and ebay however I would like to buy from a legit company that licenses these anime so I can support the studios that made the shows.

Thank you for your time! I hope that anyone else who may be having the same questions as me are answered.

thanks again,

Joseph
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4757

There's also Robert's Anime Corner Store (RACS) and The RightStuf International (TRSI)

Both of these shops have free shipping at a certain order minimum.

Oh, and this post will be moved to retail, if not outright deleted. Don't take it personally since you're new.

Enjoy!
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
The best place is amazon.com

If you "click the new, or used" section you can see all the vendors that sell specific DVD's. Often you're better off paying the cheaper price from a vendor + shipping, than it is to buy directly from amazon with free shipping.
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
There is a Canadian version of Amazon IIRC.

Also there are apparently quite a few stores in Toronto that sell anime/manga related items, so maybe you could give the local businesses your $ instead of Amazon.

http://www.riwasa.com/shopping/canada/ontario/toronto.htm

http://www.toronto.com/article/374883--chasing-anime

Not sure how old these are, but you could always try calling them to see if they are open, or better yet look in the most recent phone book to see if they are still listed.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
There is a Canadian version of Amazon IIRC.

http://www.amazon.ca/
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Buying anime through the Amazon Marketplace brings the unfortunate problem of spotting bootlegs (which is another sticky at the top of the page).
ethanftw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I get all my anime off of Amazon. A lot of times Amazon isn't that expensive, and more often than not another vendor is selling the same item for new that is cheaper than Amazon so you end up saving a few bucks. There is also a used section where you can get some anime dirt cheap.

However, as posted above, since it is 3rd party vendors and all that good stuff, just like ebay and what not, bootlegs are occassionally a rpoblem. However, if you are slightly intelligent you can usually avoid them. I've never had a problem with them so far.

Normally with bootlegs, the pictures and stuff look legit, but other information gives them away.

Some good practices to avoid bootlegs are making sure the information about the DVD/Blu-ray/whatever is published. Normally bootlegs will leave all the information fields blank, where as the genuine products have the review, whats inside the dvd, etc etc posted.

You can also read user comments, which normally on a bootleg there are like 5+ comments with users posting something like "DONT BUY ITS A BOOTLEG" and all that jazz, so that is really a dead giveaway.

The other thing you can do is simply try and find the product somewhere else on the net, a good place to start and searching the ANN database for the product. If you can't find it in the database, or anywhere else on the net, and no one else has posted anything about the product, then chances are its a bootleg.

I really would say amazon is one of your better bets, I've got some amazing deals on there and I have yet to have a bad experience with them.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Rightstuff and (Non-Amazon Marketplace) Amazon are the cheapest and best places to find R1 anime I'd say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1