• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
History of anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmashRackets4Fun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys, I'm doing a research paper on anime... its history, origin, how its made, how it got to the US... just everything about anime.

any good legit places for me to look? i know there are tons of info here but it lacks a legit source... and if any of you are in the anime making industry or know anyone, I'm trying to get some interviews too...
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
How is anime made?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animation

Same process. Same basic concepts. If you really want more and quickly -- just watch the 6th episode to GoldenBoy. (Seriously) Twisted Evil

any good legit places for me to look?
Wiki is a good place to start -- BUT -- do not rely on it. Source links on those articles are provided for a reason.

its history
Check out Disney's influence on Japanese animation in the 1950's.
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Right Stuf, one of the oldest mail-order anime retailers, has some great articles on the history of anime as well as different aspects of the genre. You can read them here. The two at the bottom (on the "global history of anime" and the "history of anime in the US") are probably the two that are most helpful, but depending on the topic of your paper some of the other articles might be of use, as well.

The book The Anime Encyclopedia is also a very good resource, and they just recently released a newly updated version. You should be able to find that at any decent bookstore. Hope that helps!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
The book The Anime Encyclopedia is also a very good resource, and they just recently released a newly updated version. You should be able to find that at any decent bookstore. Hope that helps!

Yes, I remember citing that book a few times for a couple of essays. Though I feel it to be outdated for my taste. But still indeed a valid source of stuff.
Takai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

Wiki is a good place to start -- BUT -- do not rely on it. Source links on those articles are provided for a reason.

Wikipedia isn't such a reliable source... at times. Because it's all articles that the users of the site published.

Also, a lot of articles on Wiki are VERY biased and only looks at one point of view. The whole critism parts is a load of shiRt.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
try looking in a Borders or Barnes and Noble
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Takai wrote:
KyuuA4 wrote:

Wikipedia isn't such a reliable source... at times. Because it's all articles that the users of the site published.

Also, a lot of articles on Wiki are VERY biased and only looks at one point of view. The whole critism parts is a load of shiRt.

Of course -- that's why I said it's a start - but do not rely on it. I generally go there for a quick look; or heck, I make some edits on my own. Twisted Evil The best articles are the ones marked with a Bronze Star on the upper right of the article. Only a few articles relating to anime have that distinction; and the anime article itself is utterly crappy. Nevertheless, some External Links to outside sources could be helpful... maybe.

It's particularly interesting looking at airliner crashes. Scary stuff sometimes... Shocked

jgreen wrote:
KyuuA4 wrote:
Yes, I remember citing that book [The Anime Encyclopedia] a few times for a couple of essays. Though I feel it to be outdated for my taste. But still indeed a valid source of stuff.

As I mentioned in my post, there's a brand new revised edition on sale now. I haven't bought the new version, but it's about 50% thicker so I imagine they've added a LOT of material to it.

I'll look it up - whenever I get around to it.

Last edited by KyuuA4 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Yes, I remember citing that book [The Anime Encyclopedia] a few times for a couple of essays. Though I feel it to be outdated for my taste. But still indeed a valid source of stuff.

As I mentioned in my post, there's a brand new revised edition on sale now. I haven't bought the new version, but it's about 50% thicker so I imagine they've added a LOT of material to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I would think looking up a pioneer such as Tezuka Osamu would be a great place to start.
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or are there a lot of people writing papers about anime? Can't say this post didn't help me though - I was wondering about this for a while.. Laughing
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading "Samurai from Outer space: Understanding Japanese Animation," by Antonia Levi a while back. It's kinda old school, but has a lot of useful information. After all, it is about the history and it decribes old school anime.
Go to the library or book store and type "anime" or "Japanese animation" into the search engine.
SmashRackets4Fun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the help...

anyone with any key names of creators or innovators or key shows or anything please share...

and I will def check out the encyclopedia of animes...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1