• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Dragon Ball Daima Anime in Asia on October 14, Globally on October 18

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Toonami loses out again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't see anything to indicate this is exclusive to Netflix as the show is also streaming on other platforms including Hulu and Crunchyroll.
PC 20XX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 12:01 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Toonami loses out again.

I'd wager they'll get the English dub premieres, just as they have for every other Dragon Ball anime for the past 2 decades.
power moon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:12 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't see anything to indicate this is exclusive to Netflix as the show is also streaming on other platforms including Hulu and Crunchyroll.

The article never claimed it was an exclusive.
My guess is that since this was originally meant to be a Web Series that maybe Netflix was the original distributor, but Toriyama's passing made it so that the show was put on TV at Fuji TV and Crunchyroll obtained a simulcast deal through that, with Netflix compromising by getting the episodes a week later. That's just speculation, though, so don't quote me on that.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:51 am Reply with quote
PC 20XX wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Toonami loses out again.

I'd wager they'll get the English dub premieres, just as they have for every other Dragon Ball anime for the past 2 decades.
I'm pretty sure Viacom (now Parmount) stations such as CBS and Nicktoons got the Kai premiere first. I don't think Toonami was on at that point because they were off the air for a few years.

As for this news I'm happy because I just got Netflix for Sailor Moon movie and Slam Dunk. VPNs are so worth the money!
CreativelyFwrd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:02 am Reply with quote
Is there going to be a delay for us westerners every week or just for the premier?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 10:06 am Reply with quote
CreativelyFwrd wrote:
Is there going to be a delay for us westerners every week or just for the premier?

I think the delay is only for Netflix, Crunchyroll still streams episodes the same day.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 10:50 am Reply with quote
This is a big surprise because I expected Sony and Crunchyroll to lock this down tight. But it's once again proof Netflix sees anime as a reliable sector for audience growth and retention, and the increasing value of streaming to Japanese distributors.

Jason DeMarco and the Toonami people are probably kicking themselves though.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:09 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
This is a big surprise because I expected Sony and Crunchyroll to lock this down tight. But it's once again proof Netflix sees anime as a reliable sector for audience growth and retention, and the increasing value of streaming to Japanese distributors.

Jason DeMarco and the Toonami people are probably kicking themselves though.

This is being managed through Toei, not Sony.

Same reason One Piece returned to Toonami a second time and is still airing despite the dub streaming far ahead elsewhere like the Microsoft Store.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:33 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that would get in the way of Toonami having dub premieres is if Toei tries to shop the series to a children's network here first (though perhaps they could be persued into skipping that step with the right pitch about AS' 'all-ages' approach).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1