• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Daima Anime Premieres on October 11

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:15 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to watch it!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:02 am Reply with quote
Well, as if it wasn't obvious for years already, this right here is the final nail in the coffin for any resemblance that anime airing anywhere other than late-night was still the "traditional" way to air anime in Japan, like it had been since the 60s.

When Dragon Ball, of all franchises, is getting a new anime aired in late-night (admittedly, it's early on in late-night, but it still counts) because the "traditional" morning timeslot it would otherwise run in is "not a nationwide timeslot", then it's all over. Late-night is now, well & truly, the domain for anime in Japan, and anything airing elsewhere is now the exception to the rule.

This isn't a complaint, mind you, just an observation.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:17 am Reply with quote
They still haven’t said yet what they plan to do about Toru Furuya assuming Yamcha is in this.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:27 am Reply with quote
If Daima is airing in a later time slot than Super, hopefully they won’t be as scared to show *gasp* blood.
Matros

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:37 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
If Daima is airing in a later time slot than Super, hopefully they won’t be as scared to show *gasp* blood.

Super's lack of blood had nothing to do with the time slot, Kitaro aired in the same time slot and tackled heavy themes and had blood too.
The reason why Super was the way it was because it was made with the international market in mind, they wanted to sell as many licenses as possible.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fuji TV also stated all episodes on the show are completed.

That likely implies a shorter series than previous Dragon Balls, as Toei generally doesn't complete its longer shows ahead of airing. If that's the case, then I wonder if it was always intended to be shorter, or if this is a result of Toriyama's passing.
scrunchybunch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Quote:

That likely implies a shorter series than previous Dragon Balls, as Toei generally doesn't complete its longer shows ahead of airing. If that's the case, then I wonder if it was always intended to be shorter, or if this is a result of Toriyama's passing.

Not true for this show. As far as I know, this show was aiming to be completed as much as possible before airing. I remember totallynotmark did a hype video about that and I'm pretty sure it was before Toriyama died
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
Super's lack of blood had nothing to do with the time slot, Kitaro aired in the same time slot and tackled heavy themes and had blood too.
The reason why Super was the way it was because it was made with the international market in mind, they wanted to sell as many licenses as possible.

To add to this, Sailor Moon Crystal went from premiering seasons 1 & 2 online on prime time (7PM, just like the 90s show) to season 3 airing on late night (11PM-2AM depending on TV channel) and that was toned down from the manga all the way through, including for those movies.
Matros

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Quote:

All episodes were scripted and possibly storyboarded before Toriyama's passing. The show has been in production for 3 years at this point according to reliable sources.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:

I would also add a show's time slot doesn't change what the target audience is. Tokyo Mew Mew New also aired in a late night time slot but was still marketed at younger kids.
AshleyReya1999

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They still haven’t said yet what they plan to do about Toru Furuya assuming Yamcha is in this.

I'll pretty sure, he's going to be recasted.
mooseV01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah timeslot doesn’t matter too much. Obviously, super ultra violence can’t air early - but some blood splashes should be just fine. Super used to air right next to One Piece - and while OP showed plenty of blood - Super barely showed any.
Despite airing right next to each other in the 9am hour.

Super was just neutered from the start in order to make it easier to market it for kids internationally .
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:48 am Reply with quote
Daima was announced on October 12, 2023 and will release October 11.

Quote:
Fuji TV announced in a press conference on Monday that it will air the Dragon Ball Daima anime series in a new anime programming block on Fridays at 11:40 p.m. starting on October 11.

This is a spit in the face. Daima will be the most late night airing DB series (DB and Z aired at 7 PM) ever and yet it will show less than what DB/Z did. Another example of the decline in Battle Power.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is a spit in the face. Daima will be the most late night airing DB series (DB and Z aired at 7 PM) ever and yet it will show less than what DB/Z did. Another example of the decline in Battle Power
Dragon Ball is a manga for five year olds. If you want a manga with blood and guts go read Berserk or something.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:35 am Reply with quote
^Now why do you have to spread misinformation. DB manga has never been labeled a kodomo series, but you'd know why if you read it. Anywho, what you said has nothing to do with what I said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2