• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Nintendo Indie Direct + Partner Showcase August 2024

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:06 am Reply with quote
The Nintendo Direct was really exciting for me. I’d been meaning to get into some of these RPG franchises, so I’m happy there’s this effort to re-release/remake a lot of these games.

More Castlevania is a big win too.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:09 am Reply with quote
At this point, I'm mostly just curious to see what Enigmatic Recollection even is. The information so far is very vague, and I've seen plenty of "mutlimedia projects" that were disjointed to the point where you forget that they were supposed to have interaction beyond sharing a name.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:22 am Reply with quote
I have no strong feelings about Date Everything, but the fact that there are touting 100 voiced characters in a video game published in 2024 makes me think this isn't a thing to easily dismiss as a piss take. (Also I imagine the central joke ends up targeting any game with romanceable characters, not just VN's)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The only Falcom game I've ever played was Dragonslayer on Gameboy (which, upon examination on Wikipedia, was the very first Legend of Heroes title).

A little mix up here, as The Legend of Heroes Series is an offshoot of the Dragon Slayer Series, not the other way around. To be fair, though, Legend of Heroes hasn't actually been a part of Dragon Slayer since the second entry in 1992, and the LoH franchise in & of itself hasn't been removed from the Trails sub-series (outside of Nayuta & a gacha game) since before the 21st Century with the Gagharv Trilogy!

And that's not even taking into consideration the wildness that's the Dragon Slayer Series itself.

As for the other news mentioned, the Capcom Fighting Collection 2 announcement really is the one that caught my interest the most. I'm just happy that there will be a new option to play CvS2, Power Stone 2, & even Plasma Sword (Yes, I DO remember it!), and while I'm not exactly a big online play guy the idea of getting into random Power Stone 2 battles online does sound mighty tempting.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:48 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the upcoming Rune Factory game. It's long been the one "farming village life" game series I've enjoyed, and the fantasy Japanese setting of this new one is something I never thought we'd get but have long hoped for. Just have to hope the game will run smoothly -- the graphics seem a big step up, so I have to wonder if they'll be able to pull it off (I skipped RF5, since it was so thoroughly lambasted by the fanbase).

It would be nice to see Tokimeki Memorial finally get an English release, given its significance in video game history. I wonder if that's something Tim Rogers himself could rally up a small movement for.

Editing note: It seems this article auto-corrected every "us" to be written as "U.S." Probably five or so instances.
OtakuKat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
That list of missing Capcom fighting games is missing two others:

Fate/unlimited codes
and
Shijō Saikyō no Deshi Ken'ichi: Gekitō! Ragnarok Hachikengō
it was a licensed fighting game of Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple made by Capcom.
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:12 am Reply with quote
its not both plasma sword games just the 2 (the one most care about)
That Little Rapscallion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:35 am Reply with quote
Personally I felt the direct and showcase was underwhelming. It's hard for me to get excited for a bunch of ports and remakes of old games I already played before and can replay anytime I want already. In terms of new stuff I can look forward to there was not a whole lot outside of new Atelier
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Funny you mention Dead by Daylight since they added Castlevania characters to the roster this week, with Dracula being voiced by Count Crispin von Freeman.

Anyway, the Direct once again showing off a lot of new stuff and really shows that the Switch has never, EVER had a lean year. Small stuff, big stuff, it has it all. The Dominus Collection is big one for me as now ALL the handheld Castlevanias are readily available. Dragon Quest III is also REALLY pulling out all the stops, looking to be the definitive version of the game that wrote the book on RPGs until FFVII came out. Heck, so much stuff is coming to the Switch they couldn't even fit them all into the Direct with ArcSys revealing Guilty Gear Strive is coming to the Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9zCMBXz57k&ab_channel=ArcSystemWorksAmerica

This also makes me think about why stuff like Yakuza Kiwami is getting ported now (aside from using it as a boost for the Amazon Prime series). The next system is probably going to be announced soon, so I get the feeling a lot of this is publishers wanting to be in on the ground floor with the Switch 2 or whatever it's called.

Regardless, pretty good Direct and the Switch is proving to have one of the best libraries in gaming history.
FishLion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:35 pm Reply with quote
TWIG wrote:
visual novels are about the only genre in the U.S. that gets it worse than Japanese RPGs

This has always been so confusing to me, because games I consider one step away from Visual Novels do so well here in a particular niche. Adventure games like Monkey Island or The Walking Dead game by Telltale Games are considered classic games by many and they have a very similar "sit back and enjoy the story" type of progress that VNs do in between the more traditionally gamey parts. I also know that some games like Fire Emblem or Story of Seasons and have very VN like elements like unlocking scenes by progressing relationships and those have their subset of fans here. I hope that as they get more releases and availability that more VNs will find fans here as well.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that didn't mind and even actually liked the anime art style of the 2 DS Castlevania games?
Just me?

I mean, Rondo of Blood had that style and it is considered one of the best Castlevanias ever but I didn't hear a single peep about that, other than people jokingly saying Richter looks like Ryu from Street Fighter.
Heck, they even used his design for Smash Bros. Ultimate.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy for the ports of Power Stone and Capcom vs SNK 1 AND 2. Having netcode for all of them just adds a vital feature that was desperately needed back when young ranran-001 was growing up.

I'm looking forward to the Tetris Quasi Documentary / Compilation game. I'm interested, mainly because I am so familiar with handheld tetris, that a documentary exploring all the different versions that landed on different PCs could at least spin some new life into the tetris variants that didn't sell or endure as long as the Gameboy version did.

That said, I'm surprised the most by the new Atelier game, not that there was going to be a new one, it's that the tone looks more serious than the Atelier Ryza triology.
Flash33

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Regarding VNs, I'm not too knowledgeable about them so I could be wrong (and please correct me if I am) but I think part of the reason they're not as popular here in NA is from my understanding a lack of English voice acting. No offense to the JP VAs, and I know these kinds of games take a lot of time and effort to make, but it seems to me many of the more popular and well-liked ones only have JP voice acting, which can be a turn-off for many players. That, combined with NA mostly getting parody/jokey VNs would definitely contribute to their lack of success in NA. I know Danganronpa is a popular VN series here with English VAs, but aside from that what else is there?

Also, maybe it's just me but when I go to game stores like GameStop or V&C Collectables I don't see a lot of VN games, and if I do see them the backs usually don't say enough about them. I do try to take pictures of games that catch my eye to research later but still.

As for Tales many games in the series are currently on sale on Steam, specifically Arise, Berseria, Zestiria, Vespiria and Symphonia. The DLC for these games (if any) are also on sale as well. The sale lasts until September 5th. Sales range from 34% off (Arise: Beyond the Dawn Expansion) to 90% off (Beseria and Zestiria).

Atelier I've never played them but it's nice for fans of it. Just wish the newer games got proper English dubs, but I know that that will never happen.

ToS I've also never played but have heard good things about. It is odd that they've yet to find a publisher for NA when they're this far along, and that would perhaps explain why it was only briefly shown in the English direct. Regardless hopefully the English script and voice acting are both good.
In other news Kingsisle announced yesterday that their MMO Wizard101 will be coming to consoles, specifically Xbox, Switch and Playstation consoles. That said they will only support cross-play for consoles since the server for them is different from the PC one. This also likely means that like with Steam you'll have to make a new account to play on consoles (apparently with Steam that was due to their rules and not KI's).

The response to this has been mixed: some are happy it's no longer PC only, but others are upset that they're focusing on a console launch on top of their upcoming CYOA Ravenwood Rising when the main game is plagued with bugs (they recently had to swap out the dungeon for the latest Portals of Peril event due to bugs (enemies wouldn't spawn if you went in solo) with another one that also suffers from bugs, and keep in mind you can only play this event a few times a day via event exclusive currency) and poor CS and that it won't support cross-play with PC. Combine this with the small team they have for their other MMO Pirate101 and their poor track record with launching other games (i.e. mobile games that have now all shut down) and people expect the console server to not last very long.

Last edited by Flash33 on Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Am I the only one that didn't mind and even actually liked the anime art style of the 2 DS Castlevania games?
Just me?

I mean, Rondo of Blood had that style and it is considered one of the best Castlevanias ever but I didn't hear a single peep about that, other than people jokingly saying Richter looks like Ryu from Street Fighter.
Heck, they even used his design for Smash Bros. Ultimate.

I had no problem with the art style in those games either. I thought the DS game were great. Not sure how they'd work on modern consoles exactly especially the one you have to draw patterns to cast spells though. Rondo of Blood is probably my all time favorite game in the series and the Netflix show was cowardly for not using mahou shoujo Maria.

Flash33 wrote:
Regarding VNs, I'm not too knowledgeable about them so I could be wrong (and please correct me if I am) but I think part of the reason they're not as popular here in NA is from my understanding a lack of English voice acting. No offense to the JP VAs, and I know these kinds of games take a lot of time and effort to make, but it seems to me many of the more popular and well-liked ones only have JP voice acting, which can be a turn-off for many players. That, combined with NA mostly getting parody/jokey VNs would definitely contribute to their lack of success in NA. I know Danganronpa is a popular VN series here with English VAs, but aside from that what else is there?

I don't think English voice acting is why VNs aren't popular in the west. I think it's because westerners just don't like to read much or don't like the themes in a lot of them (also why Steam tends to ban them at random). Danganronpa is popular but it also has elements besides VN. It has the gameplay with the investigations and the trials. A similar series is the Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney games which have a decent following in the west as well from what I've seen. Although given the English localization in those games you could also say they're a parody/joke VN as well Laughing Someone else mentioned adventure games like Monkey Island and I haven't played Walking Dead myself but if it's like the other Telltale games like their Sam & Max series then it should also have gameplay like puzzle solving and inventory management. Although given Telltale shut down I wonder if they were all that successful actually. And the recent remasters of those games censored a ton of jokes and stuff so bleh.

As long as it's a Japanese VN that has more than selecting dialog choice then the west seems to like it. It's usually the very traditional VNs that go under the radar unless they have a gimmick which is why so many western ones go for the jokey/parody aspect to focus on the irony factor. It also helps if there's an anime adaption to attract people to it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
At this point, I'm mostly just curious to see what Enigmatic Recollection even is. The information so far is very vague, and I've seen plenty of "mutlimedia projects" that were disjointed to the point where you forget that they were supposed to have interaction beyond sharing a name.

And now that the presentation is out, it seems to be NOT a singular game (or singular anything). There is a fantasy backstory where all of the EN girls participate in, but that backstory seems to be mainly a vehicle for what ever stream the event calls for. And for "Chapter 1", there's a modded Minecraft map based on Myth so they can play out their roles.

I guess in a way, this gets all of EN to do a consistent number streams as long as this event is running.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2