• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Okinawa de Suki ni Natta Ko ga Hōgen Sugite Tsurasugiru Anime's Video Highlights Main Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:15 am Reply with quote
Will they be speaking the Okinawan language or the Okinawan dialect of Japanese? The former would be very difficult, though the latter is still quite different from the Tokyo dialect. And since CVs speak Standard Japanese on air most of the time, I hope they've received the necessary training to pull off a convincing act.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
I was about to point out that Okinawan is a Japonic language and not a dialect, but, it seems I forgot to include possibility that they are refering to a dialect of Japanese as spoken in Okinawa (probably influenced by Okinawan).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:21 pm Reply with quote
It's funny watching Takeo Otsuka as Aqua and then see him in a cute Okinawan romcom.

I didn't even recognize Akarin at first.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:10 am Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
Will they be speaking the Okinawan language or the Okinawan dialect of Japanese? The former would be very difficult, though the latter is still quite different from the Tokyo dialect. And since CVs speak Standard Japanese on air most of the time, I hope they've received the necessary training to pull off a convincing act.

I have re-read the Okinawa de Suki ni Natta Ko ga Hōgen Sugite Tsurasugiru manga.
According to the results of linguistic research conducted by the local government of the Okinawa Prefecture in 2024, now approx. 40% of Okinawan people do not often use the Okinawan language and approx. 20% of Okinawan people do not use the Okinawan language at all. spoiler[In the manga, there is a scene where Person A (a native of Okinawa who is younger than Person B) cannot understand the Okinawan language spoken by Person B (another native of Okinawa).]
Roughly speaking, in Okinawa, whilst relatively older people still speak the Okinawan language, now relatively younger people speak Okinawan Japanese (Sketchily speaking, a dialect which is composed of both elements from the Japanese language and elements from the Okinawan language. Professor Tōyama Nana has described it as a variety, though).
Like Shimoji Miki has analysed, there are also variations within Okinawan Japanese, like Okinawan Japanese spoken by Person C was strongly influenced by the Okinawan language and Okinawan Japanese spoken by Person D was strongly influenced by the Japanese language.
S‌ince Kyan Hina frequently talked with her grandmother in her childhood and a note by the author in the manga says that Kyan Hina's score in the Okinawan language is five star, what she speaks may be the Okinawan language or Okinawan Japanese which was very strongly influenced by the Okinawan language.
Other students who are natives of Okinawa in the manga speak Okinawan Japanese which is not very distant from the standard Japanese language.

As to training in speaking the Okinawan language and/or Okinawan Japanese, Fukumura Hodaka, who works as the consultant to the manga-ka on the Okinawan language/Okinawan Japanese for the manga version, also teaches the Okinawan language/Okinawan Japanese to the voice actors for the anime version. Since the narration in the anime will be done by voice actor Shingaki Tarusuke, who is from Okinawa, he, too, might advise other voice actors on the Okinawan language/Okinawan Japanese.

Hellsoldier wrote:
I was about to point out that Okinawan is a Japonic language and not a dialect, but, it seems I forgot to include possibility that they are refering to a dialect of Japanese as spoken in Okinawa (probably influenced by Okinawan).

Distinguished scholar of the Okinawan language Hokama Shuzen has admitted that the Okinawan language has been called by various terms such as the Ryūkyū language, the Ryūkyū dialect, the Nantō language, the Nantō dialect, the Okinawa dialect, and the like.
Tōjō Misao, a pioneer in the field of dialectology in Japan, categorised what people in the Ryūkyū Islands spoke as the Ryūkyū dialect in the 1950s. (The National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics published a dictionary of the Okinawan language in the 1960s, and the title of the dictionary included the term 'the Okinawan language', though. It was a dictionary about the Shuri/Sui dialect, which had been spoken by upper-class people in Okinawa.)
Also, by habit Okinawan people often use the term 'hōgen (dialect)' when they refer to the Okinawan language.
So it is possible that when someone says, 'hōgen (dialect)' in a context related to what Okinawan people speak, that 'hōgen (dialect)' means the Okinawan language.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1