• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks to Release Panzer World Galient Anime on Home Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zendervai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:22 am Reply with quote
I think this means that Dougram is the main mecha thing from this guy left unlicensed?
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:05 am Reply with quote
Sure, I'll pick it up! I would for Sentai to release Gold Lightan, Judo Boy and Mecha-Doc on home video too. Those have been on Hidive for a few years now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:07 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Sure, I'll pick it up! I would for Sentai to release Gold Lightan, Judo Boy and Mecha-Doc on home video too. Those have been on Hidive for a few years now.

Those old Tatsunoko shows were only on Hidive for about a year before getting removed, and that happened years ago by now. Only the original Gatchaman has since been re-licensed & added back to Hidive, so it's very likely that Lightan, Judo Boy, Mecha-Doc, etc. were only added to Hidive for that year or so to honor that old agreement Sentai had made with Tatsunoko about a decade ago, before it expired.

Honestly, after the AMC purchase I thought Sentai was done with old catalog licenses after Hareluya II BØY (which was obviously licensed pre-AMC), so I'm glad to see that Sentai hasn't left this kind of stuff behind fully. Now if only Sentai can put out a home video release for Hareluya II BØY, because that's been fully available on Hidive for over two years now!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:54 pm Reply with quote
This seems more like a Discotek title.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:37 pm Reply with quote
A middling anime and only half-finished but the ideas were great. A remake could work wonders here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Might want to check this out...
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Surprising news, although it's easy to forget that Sentai does release classic mecha shows like this from time to time.

Now I'm just waiting for someone to pick up all of Vifam.
sledgerheader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:24 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:

Those old Tatsunoko shows were only on Hidive for about a year before getting removed, and that happened years ago by now. Only the original Gatchaman has since been re-licensed & added back to Hidive, so it's very likely that Lightan, Judo Boy, Mecha-Doc, etc. were only added to Hidive for that year or so to honor that old agreement Sentai had made with Tatsunoko about a decade ago, before it expired.

Honestly, after the AMC purchase I thought Sentai was done with old catalog licenses after Hareluya II BØY (which was obviously licensed pre-AMC), so I'm glad to see that Sentai hasn't left this kind of stuff behind fully. Now if only Sentai can put out a home video release for Hareluya II BØY, because that's been fully available on Hidive for over two years now!
I was wondering what happened to hareluya II BOY. so its just sitting on hidive? would be nice if they put it out on bluray as well.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:56 am Reply with quote
sledgerheader wrote:
I was wondering what happened to hareluya II BOY. so its just sitting on hidive? would be nice if they put it out on bluray as well.

It's very easy to see that BØY's stream on Hidive is using masters taken from the old laserdisc release, so I imagine it's simply a case of Sentai feeling that BØY's master quality is just too low for a modern Blu-Ray release. Sentai stopped doing SD-BDs years ago & now elects to just upscale stuff that doesn't already have a proper HD version, but upscaling has its limits, too. Even Discotek/MediaOCD wouldn't upscale something using LD masters.

Unless BØY was one of those anime that whose original film masters were part of the whole Tokyo Lab closure conundrum, it doesn't look like Sentai will ever be giving BØY a home video release over here, despite initially promising to do so. I don't fault them over it, but they really should have made sure they could even do a home video release before confirming one.
sledgerheader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
sledgerheader wrote:

It's very easy to see that BØY's stream on Hidive is using masters taken from the old laserdisc release, so I imagine it's simply a case of Sentai feeling that BØY's master quality is just too low for a modern Blu-Ray release. Sentai stopped doing SD-BDs years ago & now elects to just upscale stuff that doesn't already have a proper HD version, but upscaling has its limits, too. Even Discotek/MediaOCD wouldn't upscale something using LD masters.

Unless BØY was one of those anime that whose original film masters were part of the whole Tokyo Lab closure conundrum, it doesn't look like Sentai will ever be giving BØY a home video release over here, despite initially promising to do so. I don't fault them over it, but they really should have made sure they could even do a home video release before confirming one.
they might as well go back to SD BDs or stop announcing stuff they're never gonna release like that betterman license rescue from over 10 years ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1