• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Big O Creator Keiichi Sato Draws New Art for 25th Anniversary

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I instantly thought of Phoenix Wright
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Always nice to be reminded of Big O.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Still my sentimental favorite series of all time. So cool.
gordonfreeman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 6:44 am Reply with quote
The characters had designs inspired by Batman The Animated Series and iirc the shows shared some animators too. It's a fantastic show that really deserves more time in the Sun. Hopefully it gets a continuation closing the book on the story, crazier things have happened.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:45 am Reply with quote
Maybe it’s me but season 2 seemingly ended definitively.
gordonfreeman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:17 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

As there were many unresolved plot points and the follow-up art book about the series discussed (and partially showed) plans for future seasons, there's definitely material for more. They recently released a model kit for the main mecha too, there's life in this franchise yet.
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:04 pm Reply with quote
gordonfreeman1 wrote:
It's a fantastic show that really deserves more time in the Sun. Hopefully it gets a continuation closing the book on the story, crazier things have happened.

Oh, I'd love that! I've often thought it's an under-appreciated series, and one last shot of good guys still wearing black would hopefully get some attention from older anime fans. If it would be aired on Adult Swim, that would be even better.
gordonfreeman1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Multi-Facets wrote:
gordonfreeman1 wrote:
It's a fantastic show that really deserves more time in the Sun. Hopefully it gets a continuation closing the book on the story, crazier things have happened.

Oh, I'd love that! I've often thought it's an under-appreciated series, and one last shot of good guys still wearing black would hopefully get some attention from older anime fans. If it would be aired on Adult Swim, that would be even better.

Indeed, the visuals still hold up excellently today. The design of the show overall was so refined, having a new season made with current animation quality would be an audiovisual masterpiece (provided they keep the same composer)!
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:05 pm Reply with quote
It’s a shame Big O isn’t on streaming. Sad
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I love Big O if only because of the titular mech's design. It's so unusual (at least in the shows in the mecha genre I've watched) having a big slow mech lumbering through a city rather than a speedy one. It really makes it seem all its attacks feel bigger and more powerful since it can't really dodge as effectively like others in the genre (even in the "real robot" category) so Roger and Big O have to be more precise.

Also the show has one of the most banger soundtracks I've ever heard.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

It did mostly, but it did leave the door open for potential further seasons (even if the central mystery of the show was resolved). And even if that mystery was resolved, I have no doubt that Chiaki Konaka could throw another wild curveball and do something else. I love his work and his ability to make things weird.

That said, it's always better for a series to leave on a high than go on potentially getting worse.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:20 am Reply with quote
I am a tomato
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:36 am Reply with quote
Given how the Toonami FLCL sequels turned out, I feel like some things are best left in the past. I love The Big O but it's very much a show that's a product of it's time. Not that there's anything dated about it or anything but it's very much the kind of sci-fi anime they don't make anymore and it was only possible in the era it came out in, and I don't think they would be able to capture the mood and atmosphere right today.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 4:26 pm Reply with quote
"Cast in the name of God, ye shall not forget!"

Awesome artwork. I loved The Big O. Glad Sato gave us something because I wasn't expecting anything due to its popularity in Japan. Of course the first post has to be a meaningless casual post that disrespects the creators.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1