• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, August 26-September 1 [2024-09-07]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2024 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Those numbers for Visions of Mana are not great, between the PS5 and PS4 versions the game sold 40,764 copies, meanwhile Trials of Mana sold a combined total of 150,552 copies on PS4 and Switch in its debut week. There is a lot discussion in various forums in reagrds to Vision's performance in Japan, and its international performance is not that great either. I find it actually kind of weird that many are blaming Nintendo for Vision's failure, plenty of people are saying that the game was meant to be a Switch 2 launch title, but the console's supposed delay is what caused it to underperform. I don't think that makes sense, first of all, I don't believe Nintendo was going to release its next console this year, and if it that was the case the Switch 2 would not have even a fraction of the original Switch's install base
It seems the devlopers always intended the game to come out on the PS5, but I think they overestimated the demand for a new Mana game on Sony's console, I think if Ouka made the game with the Switch's limitations in mind it would have perhaps done better and it wouldn't have costed as much to develop. Now the studio has been closed, I don't know if there's a possibility for Visions to get ported the Switch 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1