• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2 Report: N. American Comics Market Decreased by 7% in 2023

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:02 am Reply with quote
Another bubble correction from all that Isekai, plus superhero fatigue.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Another bubble correction from all that Isekai, plus superhero fatigue.

This is for physical purchases. Digital purchases are excluded. From what I have heard, if you are still into American comics like myself, you read digitally almost exclusively.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:23 pm Reply with quote
With a spike like 2021 it is almost inevitable to see a correction. It will take another 2-3 years to see if current numbers are plateauing or adopting a new trend.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I know my spending on physical manga goes up every year as I find new series I enjoy. I still buy American comics sometimes but they’re nothing like they were during the golden age.

Quote:
ICv2 explained that its biggest change in methodology for the 2023 results is that the company has stopped reporting on download-to-own sales of digital comics. The company said regarding why it made this change, "The most important reason for making that change is that subscriptions for online access to comics are comprising an increasing part in digital sales, and that's a part of the market that's opaque to the public, and to us."

I’m confused by this. Download-to-own sales of digital comics should not be considered a subscription for online access. If you buy it, you “own” it until the license is lost. If you’re paying for a subscription, you generally cannot download books, instead reading them online or using an app.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:37 pm Reply with quote
SinisterOracle wrote:
I’m confused by this. Download-to-own sales of digital comics should not be considered a subscription for online access. If you buy it, you “own” it until the license is lost. If you’re paying for a subscription, you generally cannot download books, instead reading them online or using an app.

As demonstrated by recent closures, a digital purchase is not ongoing after its hosting service expires. So unless you have a backup to read, you lose the ability to consume your purchase. And legally your license expires with the end of service. Technically your digital purchase is just a license equivalent to a long term rental for a fixed up front price.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
SinisterOracle wrote:

As demonstrated by recent closures, a digital purchase is not ongoing after its hosting service expires. So unless you have a backup to read, you lose the ability to consume your purchase. And legally your license expires with the end of service. Technically your digital purchase is just a license equivalent to a long term rental for a fixed up front price.

I understand. It’s saying you’re just leasing or renting the digital content until you can no longer access it. That’s the reason why I still buy so much physical media today. I have stuff that’s not available anywhere online today. It pays to have lived through the rapid changes of technology Wink
onpufan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:40 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
This is for physical purchases. Digital purchases are excluded. From what I have heard, if you are still into American comics like myself, you read digitally almost exclusively.

Unless something changed in this last year digital comics had stagnated and made up only a small minority of the overall sales for years according to these reports. If omitting digital sales all together this year only resulted in a 7% drop then it couldn't have been that impactful.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:25 am Reply with quote
The one and only time a superhero fatigue hit the US market was in the 50s. Spider-man and Batman still roll the roost despite very questionable stories during our current comic boom, Isekai comics barely exist and let´s not pretend that manga adaptations of Isekai LNs took over the market at any point in time in any region. COVID created this bubble. Nothing else. 2024 can only see a more drastic decline. A disproportionate amount of collected editions were bought during peak COVID and the speculator market won´t ever allow printed comics to truly crash. What has gone away are uninterrupted ongoing runs that last at least 2 years. Only big books manage those now. Stuff like Scarlet Witch goes from one mini- to maxi-series to the next with the same author but the names change a bit and a new No. 1 is created every time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:25 am Reply with quote
An interview done at the tail end of 2023 with local comic shops pretty much had most of them described as having varying business, with the only real spark of excitement for new readers being the Energon Universe comics (Transformers, GI Joe, and Void Rivals). This seems consistent with that testimony.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:24 am Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:

Unless something changed in this last year digital comics had stagnated and made up only a small minority of the overall sales for years according to these reports. If omitting digital sales all together this year only resulted in a 7% drop then it couldn't have been that impactful.

You bring up a good point that we should have put in the article, so thank you for this comment.

ICv2 stated regarding stopping on reporting on download-to-own sales of digital comics:
Quote:
We did not report an estimate for digital sales for 2023, and have removed those estimates from the totals of the previous years to provide comparability.

So the 7% decrease is in comparison to the market in 2022 AFTER ICv2 took out what it estimated for download-to-own sales of digital comics (which they estimated at US$155 million in 2022).

I'll add that info into the article.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1