• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Upcoming Anime Series Will See Guilty Gear Break New Ground

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:47 am Reply with quote
I notice there's not many folks around here commenting on this, but I'll share it anyways: GuileWinQuote just put out an amazing Guilty Gear 2 video on YouTube. It is very much worth watching, though it should be noted they casually drop some series story spoilers once or twice. Most fans are likely already in-the-know, but the video does a great job of showing off where Xrd Sign gets its start, as Overture starts just a year prior & is almost-exclusively a giant anime story in game form.

I'd mentioned the last time that an article with the Guilty Gear anime popped up, that we had a pretty big patch of time where an anime would have been a big boon to the series. That stretch between the endless re-releases of #Reload all the way to Xrd Sign was fairly dry, and it's a shame one of the largest windows into the Guilty Gear universe wasn't particularly well-received on launch.

I guess in the same way that Overture didn't really dumb anything down and expected folks coming in to know what the characters were saying, it's pretty interesting to know they're pretty much doing the same thing with the anime show post-Strive. Anyone looking to get into the story of the series - Overture and Xrd Sign are both under $5 til the end of the month, and Overture marks a really great place to kick off the modern Guilty Gear story if you're new since it sets up Sol & Sin working together.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I guess in the same way that Overture didn't really dumb anything down and expected folks coming in to know what the characters were saying, it's pretty interesting to know they're pretty much doing the same thing with the anime show post-Strive. Anyone looking to get into the story of the series - Overture and Xrd Sign are both under $5 til the end of the month, and Overture marks a really great place to kick off the modern Guilty Gear story if you're new since it sets up Sol & Sin working together.

If the idea is to bring new viewers into the franchise, I don't get the idea of making it so obtuse and confusing that only long time fans will care, which in turns, means that your expensive new show will bring in few, if any new players to the community. This is a disturbingly popular method of doing things these days, making things inaccessible beyond even a token attempt to get new viewers up to speed. I guess Kinnikuman had that one 30-minute recap video before the new arc, but I have no idea how effective that will be (not very considering Netflix didn't even bother dubbing the show).

It's something by fans, for fans, and everyone else need not apply.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
If the idea is to bring new viewers into the franchise, I don't get the idea of making it so obtuse and confusing that only long time fans will care, which in turns, means that your expensive new show will bring in few, if any new players to the community.

Agreed, that's kind of where I am as a longtime fan with the anime announcement - I'd have liked, in an ideal Guilty Gear World, to have had a #Reload era GetBackers-style show prior to the upcoming one as an avenue to get "anime fans in general" excited for Guilty Gear stuff. The irony in GG2 Overture is that nowadays, practically everyone understands what a MOBA is and it's honestly a really great crash-course for new fans to just jump into the story cold. It's a bit much at first, but by the end you understand in a pretty black and white fashion, who the good and bad guys are, and what is at stake. That black&white simplicity was beaten to death and muddled to hell over the PS2 generation of storytelling.

Also as a longtime fan, it's nice to see an actual anime series continuing the timeline. I just suspect that Strive content isn't over, and the anime risks being a giant commercial for a Rev2 or a new season pass featuring the anime character. I'm both happy & conflicted because a decade ago I'd have never thought the series would have this many eyes on it, but I also know that by the end of BlazBlue I and a lot of other folks were burnt out, and I want to see new story remain as relevant+interesting as it is exciting - especially to new fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1