• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 1st American Manga Awards Announces Nominees

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:47 am Reply with quote
Honestly, this is a pretty great lineup! Whether I love the series (The Summer Hikaru Died), wasn’t a big fan (the artwork in Just Like Mona Lisa felt impersonal and really held the series back for me), or have never read it myself (I now need to know what Dinosaur Sanctuary is about) - this list is leaps and bounds ahead of what the Eisner/Harvey Awards put out. Sure I’m a bit disappointed to see out of the ten nominees for New & Continuing manga series, there’s only one singular josei title, and no shojo recognized. But I don’t really consider this as much a knock on the judges as a reflection of larger hurdles for that demographic in the industry at large anyway.

I’d say the same thing about how no women were nominated for translation, but I feel like I can assume that’s just the way the cookie crumbled this year and not due to any external or internal biases on how female translators are potentially not given as many high-profile or complex series. The names I’ve seen on my own books seem to refute that thought at least.

Excited to check out more of these titles and I hope this first year is successful for everyone involved!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:25 am Reply with quote
Neighborhood Story by Ai Yazawa was nominated for best new edition. As far as I can tell the current edition is the first English language edition. What was their criteria?
skemono

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:43 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Neighborhood Story by Ai Yazawa was nominated for best new edition. As far as I can tell the current edition is the first English language edition. What was their criteria?

According to the website,
Quote:
Best New Edition of Classic Manga pays tribute to older manga series or one-shot stories that were originally published in Japan 20 or more years ago (prior to December 31, 2004), and have had at least one new volume in English published between August 1, 2023 – July 30, 2024.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:54 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
this list is leaps and bounds ahead of what the Eisner/Harvey Awards put out.

Agreed! You can really tell these nominees were chosen by people who keep on top of the English-localized manga scene. Not that the more famous awards are bad, but these are on a whole other level. I haven't read any of the Best New Manga nominees, which is weirdly exciting. I'm also seeing series/collections I've been meaning to try, like Delicious in Dungeon and Okinawa, which is also exciting.

As for those I have read:
- The Summer Hikaru Died is certainly a quality horror manga, but the first volume didn't click with me, and it went to a friend who's much more into both horror and BL than I am.
- My Name is Shingo is not only the best Umezz in translation, but has the most gorgeous presentation. The new Umezz releases are based on the Japanese kanzenban editions, and Viz really went all out with this one.
- Akane-banashi's localization is top-notch. There has been some wordplay in recent volumes which has been handled deftly, and the series overall has been very readable and entertaining, as one would hope for a manga about rakugo.
- I'm not surprised to see Witch Hat Atelier in multiple categories. Like Hikaru, I didn't stick with it, but Kodansha Comics has done a great job with the English-language editions.
- Orange is a wonderful series, and given its nomination, Seven Seas must've knocked it out of the park with the box set.

Alan45 wrote:

All of the nominated works are their first editions in English, so it was pretty clear to me what that category was about Anime catgrin + sweatdrop I don't think there's enough reprints coming out every year to support a high-quality nomination list for those at the moment.

Last edited by R. Kasahara on Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
AdditionalRamen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:44 am Reply with quote
Not to be a negative Nancy but I actually didn't think Viz's edition of Neighborhood Story was very good at all. The paper felt cheap and the artwork was weirdly offset instead of being centered on the page. Maybe my library just picked up a bad copy? I think a better nominee would have been Denpa's March Comes In Like a Lion. It's sad to see Denpa wasn't recognized at all.
psh_fun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:05 am Reply with quote
Outside of DunMeshi I haven't heard about any of these series.
pi8you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:35 pm Reply with quote
AdditionalRamen wrote:
Not to be a negative Nancy but I actually didn't think Viz's edition of Neighborhood Story was very good at all. The paper felt cheap and the artwork was weirdly offset instead of being centered on the page. Maybe my library just picked up a bad copy? I think a better nominee would have been Denpa's March Comes In Like a Lion. It's sad to see Denpa wasn't recognized at all.

Much as I'd also dig some Denpa on the ballot, March Comes in Like a Lion is less than 20 years old so it doesn't qualify under the eligibility rules. My only issue with Neighborhood Story's presentation was that there's a ~1/8" margin around the three outer borders of every page, even on full art splash pages, it's like they set the printer to reduce the size by 1-2%.

Cool to see J18 get a nod in the lettering category, good sign of how broadly they're looking at the field.
OtomeGay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I agree with KitKat1721 that some more shojo/josei on the list would be nice. I am glad to see Mothers from Glacier Bay under the Best New Manga category, considering they're such a small publisher.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:16 am Reply with quote
If the translator or Akane Banashi is the same as the one in Manga Plus, then, he deserves that prize. It is VERY difficult translating humor, specially when it is rakugo, whose humor is mostly by word.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1