• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:47 pm Reply with quote
This is a rare case of a perfect sequel.

There are no plotholes, no character assassination, no convoluted way to get the team in new adventures.

It's just more Fairy Tail, if you hated the old series you will hate this and if you liked it you will like this.

Well, I suppose FT's structure of being a Guild allows the writer to just send the team in a quest avoiding having to make up crap like martians to justify a new enemy and the 100 YOQ was mentioned in season 1 so it was not an asspull.

It also helps him that FT is not a fighting manga but an action one and "Who is stronger" is not relevant, you can have enemies at the same lvl of those in the previous arc and it would work likewise.

Ultimately, power scaling is what kills these sequels more of the time.
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:35 pm Reply with quote
FYI the 4th generation dragonslayers mentioned here is actually a reference to the 2nd movie where they appeared.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:39 pm Reply with quote
FanGamer24 wrote:
FYI the 4th generation dragonslayers mentioned here is actually a reference to the 2nd movie where they appeared.

Thanks for the info Smile
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:47 am Reply with quote
FanGamer24 wrote:

Good to know. I never got around to seeing the movie so I don't really know about anything that happened in beyond stuff I heard second hand
lealex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:19 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
FanGamer24 wrote:

Good to know. I never got around to seeing the movie so I don't really know about anything that happened in beyond stuff I heard second hand

They weren't in the movie for very long. This was just a case of "btw, that bit was canon".
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
This is a rare case of a perfect sequel.

There are no plotholes, no character assassination, no convoluted way to get the team in new adventures.

It's just more Fairy Tail, if you hated the old series you will hate this and if you liked it you will like this.

Well, I suppose FT's structure of being a Guild allows the writer to just send the team in a quest avoiding having to make up crap like martians to justify a new enemy and the 100 YOQ was mentioned in season 1 so it was not an asspull.

It also helps him that FT is not a fighting manga but an action one and "Who is stronger" is not relevant, you can have enemies at the same lvl of those in the previous arc and it would work likewise.

Ultimately, power scaling is what kills these sequels more of the time.

Yeah, I like the premise of the sequel drawing from a bit of world building. Quests took a bit of a back seat, but aren't irrelevant, especially as something of a post-game content. Plus, I've been curious about them ever since we found out that Gildaarts, who was at least at the time Fairy Tail's strongest wizard, was gone so much dealing with one, so it seems like these things are a challenge for anyone.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:35 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Fairy Tail back like it never left, with the fun vibes, fanservice, action, and colorful world and characters we've all come to love about it. The seiyuu also carrying on like the show only just ended. Only now the show looks more like Edens Zero, which checks out.

I also like how we get swimsuits and two wardrobe malfunctions for Lucy in episode 2.

Jellal still getting teased about Erza.

Kiria looks and sounds great in animation, as does Touka and her rivalry with Juvia.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Jairus Taylor wrote:
To make matters worse, he can't do anything about this as his power as the Water God Dragon was sealed away by a powerful wizard called the White Mage who is equal to Zeref in power, who turns out to have been Touka all along.

I'll admit I'm not too thrilled about that particular revelation, as much like with the existence of the God Dragons in general, having other characters out there this powerful only really serves to cheapen the finale of the main series. Still, it is a pretty good hook for setting up where the story could go later on. If the other God Dragons had their power sealed similarly, it would at least make it easier to swallow why none of them were ever regarded as a worldwide threat the same way Acnologia was.

I have some issues with the God Dragons as well. I can't remember if this was ever addressed, but Acnologia's main goal was to kill every dragon and dragon slayer, so it feels weird to think that he missed an entire continent. I know the God Dragons didn't play a role in that human vs. dragon war, but I'm pretty sure he wanted to slay ALL dragons. Even if the God Dragons were somehow able to hide themselves from Acnologia, what about the Dragon Eaters and the dragons they've been hunting for meals over the years?

On the flip side, I don't have an issue with the White Witch, and that's because she was mentioned in the original series. Irene told the audience a story about how the Black Wizard and the White Witch fought long ago, with Zeref emerging victorious (if I remember correctly). That one, tiny piece of lore is enough to satisfy me, unlike the God Dragons who were never mentioned. We were told about the 100 Years Quest, but until this sequel, I mistakenly assumed the mission was to slay Acnologia (since it attacked Gildarts). Speaking of which, if Gildarts was attacked during the quest, I'm led to believe Acnologia was aware of the continent where dragons and dragon eaters exist, which makes me even more skeptical about how Acnologia could be so bad at his mission.
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:35 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
Jairus Taylor wrote:
To make matters worse, he can't do anything about this as his power as the Water God Dragon was sealed away by a powerful wizard called the White Mage who is equal to Zeref in power, who turns out to have been Touka all along.

I'll admit I'm not too thrilled about that particular revelation, as much like with the existence of the God Dragons in general, having other characters out there this powerful only really serves to cheapen the finale of the main series. Still, it is a pretty good hook for setting up where the story could go later on. If the other God Dragons had their power sealed similarly, it would at least make it easier to swallow why none of them were ever regarded as a worldwide threat the same way Acnologia was.

I have some issues with the God Dragons as well. I can't remember if this was ever addressed, but Acnologia's main goal was to kill every dragon and dragon slayer, so it feels weird to think that he missed an entire continent. I know the God Dragons didn't play a role in that human vs. dragon war, but I'm pretty sure he wanted to slay ALL dragons. Even if the God Dragons were somehow able to hide themselves from Acnologia, what about the Dragon Eaters and the dragons they've been hunting for meals over the years?

What did you think Acnologia was doing in the main series? He was hunting down dragons, it's implied that he's the reason the Dragon Gods were keeping a low profile until now. As for the dragon eaters well them being on a different continent is a good enough reason to have never heard of them until now. As for how they found dragons to eat well I imagine Acnologia helped with that. The dragons aren't required to be alive when the dragon eaters eat them so they just had to find whatever corpses Acnologia may have left behind during his hunt.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:15 am Reply with quote
FanGamer24 wrote:
What did you think Acnologia was doing in the main series? He was hunting down dragons, it's implied that he's the reason the Dragon Gods were keeping a low profile until now. As for the dragon eaters well them being on a different continent is a good enough reason to have never heard of them until now. As for how they found dragons to eat well I imagine Acnologia helped with that. The dragons aren't required to be alive when the dragon eaters eat them so they just had to find whatever corpses Acnologia may have left behind during his hunt.

Where was it implied that the God Dragons have been laying low because of Acnologia?
lealex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:39 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, episode 4 cut out a whole extra Erza humiliation scene from the manga. And it's been established since the Battle of Fairy Tail that magic that requires eye contact always wears off on Erza twice as fast because of her fake eye (episode 3 even threw in an extra hint with the zoom-in on Erza's eye).

But for me, the Touka subplot has been a huge miss because it's hinged on everyone being total fools. Gajeel and Juvia saw the red flags around her, but went around making buffoons of themselves playing silly detectives. Levy also understood the warnings, but willfully ignored them because Gajeel was acting like a paranoid jerkwad. Jellal was the only one who recognized how dangerous Touka was, yet he only seemed prepared to handle it all on his own. And to bring up one other point that was only raised in the manga: the guild didn't even run a background check on Touka, even after that filler arc with Michelle, whose sketchy past was looked into. Only Laxus came out of it looking somewhat smart, since it was thanks to his mediation that anything got done about it.

All this makes me wonder why Laxus isn't master now, because his first few appearances sure make him seem like he already is.
lealex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:51 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
Where was it implied that the God Dragons have been laying low because of Acnologia?

Episode 1: they kept their presence hidden during the Dragon King Festival (the time Acnologia hunted the other dragons to near extinction) and wouldn't act unless something significant happened. Plus it'd make sense if they weren't as powerful then as they are now, or else Acnologia would've known there were other dragons as tough as he was.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the fights this season have actually had decent production values and aren't the slideshows a lot of the final season fights ended up being.

Well, that's definitely one way to set up an antagonist by having them basically take out most of the supporting cast and sip tea afterwards...even got a neat split-personality gimmick!

They nailed the scope and terror of Mercphobia in his dragon form and the full weight of having to fight him.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:04 am Reply with quote
Glad we didn't have to wait too long for an explanation about Mercphobia's situation. If he was at a point where he thought dying was the only way to stop his magic, then you'd think he would do the deed himself. He didn't seem to be so prideful to be one of those "I must die, but only when bested in battle" types.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:12 am Reply with quote
I still don’t understand how the dragons are considered to be “gods”. Igneel was always referred to as the king of the fire dragons. But apparently he was a god? Or is this nothing more than a title? I also find it interesting there’s no water dragon slayer.

This episode felt like a regression to me. Not one member of Fairy Tail, or the whiny little runt supporting the water dragon god, tried to protect the citizens. They just leave the poor peasants to fend for themselves. Natsu’s always been powerful and able to overcome any obstacle but now he can’t without help from Igneel’s secret long lost son? Natsu didn’t think to eat the fire himself? He had to run around to eat it all when he’s never done that before. Gray didn’t try using his ice devil magic to freeze the water? Erza didn’t use flame empress armor or water armor (I’m sure she has it but I can’t remember the name). Wendy and Lucy appear to be as useless as a wet fart. Lucy at least somehow managed to run up to Natsu and wrap her arms around him (while the others looked on like deer caught in the headlights) only to get burned.

I don’t know. It feels like the early days of Fairy Tail all over again, but it really shouldn’t. Not after everything they’ve been through and all of the leveling up they’ve done in the main series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2