• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exclusive: Dark Horse to Release Gunsmith Cats Manga in New Omnibus Edition

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctorkev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:20 am Reply with quote
This is fantastic news, because the omnibus volumes go for stupid prices secondhand now, and they have additional material compared to the previous single-volume releases. Hopefully these new editions will also contain the Riding Bean material that the previous omnibus editions included.

Now maybe Dark Horse could get around finish publishing Sonoda's Cannon God Exaxxion?

And while we're at it, the final few volumes of Hiroki Endo's Eden?

And Katsuhiro Otomo and Takumi Nagayasu's Legend of Mother Sarah?

I can dream, can't I?
pi8you

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:25 am Reply with quote
I'm not gonna complain about them getting Gunsmith Cats back on the market but... a new omnibus edition?? Why not just run the Revised editions again and compile Burst similarly?
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:36 am Reply with quote
That's good to hear. I hope they do Burst too. I forgot to pick that one up and have regretted it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:49 am Reply with quote
Doctor: Sarah probably went back to Kodansha.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness, because I can't afford to buy the revised volumes that I'm missing as they are so damn expensive now.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:08 am Reply with quote
Doctorkev wrote:
This is fantastic news, because the omnibus volumes go for stupid prices secondhand now, and they have additional material compared to the previous single-volume releases. Hopefully these new editions will also contain the Riding Bean material that the previous omnibus editions included.

Now maybe Dark Horse could get around finish publishing Sonoda's Cannon God Exaxxion?

And while we're at it, the final few volumes of Hiroki Endo's Eden?

And Katsuhiro Otomo and Takumi Nagayasu's Legend of Mother Sarah?

I can dream, can't I?

Hey, if we're dreaming, then I'll take the rest of 3x3 Eyes, please!

Or, on a smaller scale, confirmation that they have the sequel series to Innocent...

As far as this announcement, it's tempting but I'll probably skip it. I loved GSC back in the day. It was one of my first manga titles. But I just hate the ending so much.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:10 am Reply with quote
Looks like my Manga shelf is going to have another set of Gunsmith Cats on it.

Way back in the day I first bought all the single standard american comic releases. Then the 9 trade paper backs. And finally the 4 Omnibus Editions as well as all 5 of the Burst sequel.

I could have sold them all for big bucks but I don't need the money.

As long as it's going to be in print again for new readers is a blessing.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:38 am Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
Hey, if we're dreaming, then I'll take the rest of 3x3 Eyes, please!

I was bummed to find out the official English release was abandoned.
Then I find out the rest was scanlated, and happy reading ensues.
THEN I find out there's two sequel series and neither one has received any translations, and I was bummed again...
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:40 am Reply with quote
Screw Dark Horse for keeping Eromanga Sensei hostage with no plans of releasing the last 9 manga volumes. I hope they go under so a more reliable publisher can get the rights and release it properly.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:46 am Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
Screw Dark Horse for keeping Eromanga Sensei hostage with no plans of releasing the last 9 manga volumes. I hope they go under so a more reliable publisher can get the rights and release it properly.

Yeah, and the last four volumes of Ghost Talker's Daydream. I wish the Gunsmith Cats announcement was a few weeks earlier seeing I just picked up the last three volumes of the original run...UGH!
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:23 pm Reply with quote
My brother-in-law just tracked down a copy of Volume 4 for my spouse last year; I have no idea what he paid for it, but prices I saw were pretty wild.
Rosiero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh hell yes, I can finally stop trying to hunt down the old releases for a decent price.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Ooo, my husband is going to be happy for this! Like others in this thread, he's also given up on collecting the last of the omnibus volumes he needs due to the cost. It's going to be a lot of double-dipping, but I'm glad he's going to have the chance to finally complete the series! Well, the first series... hopefully if this does well, we'll get omnibuses for Burst eventually.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I got the original omnibus release years ago, but this is great news, because it means more people will read the greatness that is Sonoda's Gunsmith Cats! It's too bad that outside of the OVA, it never got an anime adaptation. I mean a full one based on the manga stories. It also seems natural for a live-action movie, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I still have the old Dark Horse single issues for Gunsmith Cats somewhere, but what I heard about the Burst sequel is disappointing. spoiler[They really bring Goldie back??? And she gets away AGAIN?]

Last edited by Chris Handsome on Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2