• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Need-To-Know Nintendo and Neptune Goes To Brazil

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:10 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to say your editorial about Nintendo’s secrecy/video game fandom was extremely well written, IMO. I agreed with pretty much all of it. I dearly wish there was a way to mitigate online harassment and trolling, but it seems so impossible.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:17 am Reply with quote
That list of first-party studios is actually second-party studios. Owned by Nintendo, but not actually part of the main company.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Game development is also fraught because we live in an era with too many tools for people acting in bad faith to become the loudest people in the room and make your life a living hell

It still astounds me how angry Palworld made people. Pokémon fans foaming at the mouth and bothering the Pokémon Company to try to stop Palworld's success culminating into the point The Pokémon Company had to put out a statement to try to placate the angry fanboys. Seeing even "professionals" who run sites like Serebii.net like Joe Merrick fall into that trap of spreading misinformation and chasing shadows like accusing the game of stealing models or using AI was just sad to see how tribalism can affect anyone. Thankfully it seemed to have worked and the furor died down and now Palworld is enjoying it's first major update which has been pretty fun so far.
funkfoot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm a fan of Kevin Afghani's voice myself but considering how people acted when Chris Pratt was cast as the voice for Mario in the Illumination movie I can see why they maybe decided to be more lowkey this time around. A lot of angry internet people got, well, angry and attempted to sound the war drums and tried to harass Pratt and get him pulled. And Pratt is a huge, beloved, mainstream Hollywood star. A less known VA would have probably had it a lot worse had Nintendo announced it in some PR statement or direct like they did with the film's cast.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:12 pm Reply with quote
i got the shivers! wrote:
Quote:
Game development is also fraught because we live in an era with too many tools for people acting in bad faith to become the loudest people in the room and make your life a living hell

It still astounds me how angry Palworld made people. Pokémon fans foaming at the mouth and bothering the Pokémon Company to try to stop Palworld's success culminating into the point The Pokémon Company had to put out a statement to try to placate the angry fanboys. Seeing even "professionals" who run sites like Serebii.net like Joe Merrick fall into that trap of spreading misinformation and chasing shadows like accusing the game of stealing models or using AI was just sad to see how tribalism can affect anyone. Thankfully it seemed to have worked and the furor died down and now Palworld is enjoying it's first major update which has been pretty fun so far.

Palworld might not have lifted models from Pokémon but it is guilty of some seriously uggo monster design along with bargain-bin survival game mechanics. Glad for the Palworld fans to finally have something to do in Palworld after six months, but the eight hours I spent playing it were eight hours too many. I dunno, I like for my games to do more than offer tepid edgelord takes on monster taming.

funkfoot wrote:
I can't say I'm a fan of Kevin Afghani's voice myself but considering how people acted when Chris Pratt was cast as the voice for Mario in the Illumination movie I can see why they maybe decided to be more lowkey this time around. A lot of angry internet people got, well, angry and attempted to sound the war drums and tried to harass Pratt and get him pulled. And Pratt is a huge, beloved, mainstream Hollywood star. A less known VA would have probably had it a lot worse had Nintendo announced it in some PR statement or direct like they did with the film's cast.

"Beloved" is... Definitely a word being put in the vicinity of Chris Pratt's name. Yeah, my editorial stance is that him being cast as Mario was stunt casting of the highest shenanigans and an insult to Charles Martinet's many years of voicing Mario. (And Pratt did a lousy job while he was at it.) Thank God it was just a movie because we at least come to expect those kind of casting shenanigans.

Afghan had more to lose since he's now the voice of Mario and Luigi going forward. We expected Pratt to sleepwalking his way to that paycheck while giving lazy lipservice to Charles Martinet in interviews, and boy howdy did he deliver. Afghan was like when Patrick Stewart was slated for Enterprise captain after Shatner; he had shoes to fill.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:34 pm Reply with quote
i got the shivers! wrote:

I think part of the anger against Palworld was justified as, while perhaps there wasn't as much copying as was originally claimed, you can definitely tell some of the Pals were copied (or at least heavily "inspired by") Pokemon models.

That said, I do think the rage was more unreasonable than not. Especially when people accused the Pal designs of being lazy, since in Scarlet and Violet you can see where Game Freak themselves (in my opinion) ran out of ideas near the end of Area Zero and just went "uhhh, let's just mix up our other designs and call it brand new 'paradox Pokemon'. Look this Delibird is chrome now, neat, huh?" I mean that's their right, but if fans are gonna accuse one company of lazy design, they gotta look at the man... I mean billion dollar company in the mirror.

Anyway wow I went on a tangent. Yeah the internet is a rage powered cesspool and I feel bad that Nintendo basically has to be secretive to keep people safe.
BrazillianCara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:

That said, I do think the rage was more unreasonable than not. Especially when people accused the Pal designs of being lazy, since in Scarlet and Violet you can see where Game Freak themselves (in my opinion) ran out of ideas near the end of Area Zero and just went "uhhh, let's just mix up our other designs and call it brand new 'paradox Pokemon'. Look this Delibird is chrome now, neat, huh?" I mean that's their right, but if fans are gonna accuse one company of lazy design, they gotta look at the man... I mean billion dollar company in the mirror.

This may be the most unflattering interpretation of paradox pokémon I have ever seen. I'm pretty sure a lot more thought was put into those than just being "lazy design" or "running out of ideas"... though they do could have done more with most of the future ones.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
That list of first-party studios is actually second-party studios. Owned by Nintendo, but not actually part of the main company.

No, they're part of the main company. They are subsidiaries, they are part of the company, they are staffed by Nintendo employees, they are led by Nintendo employees, saying otherwise is just twisting things.

As for the discussion about secrecy, yes, it's pretty obvious by now Nintendo does it to make sure partners are harassed because fans have proven themselves to be toxic. The absolute worst was when Next Level was working on Federation Force and they got so many threats and harassment they took the game off their website. Samus Returns coming out the next year really shows how embarrassing that was. Not helped by the "fandom" trying to do the "But we hadn't seen a Metroid in six years!" Piss. OFF. It doesn't matter if it was six years or six hundred, you don't harass people. Y'all are rookies anyway, considering I lived through the eight year gap between Super and Fusion/Prime and didn't throw fits. This is why fandom can't have nice things.

FinalVentCard wrote:

Palworld might not have lifted models from Pokémon but it is guilty of some seriously uggo monster design along with bargain-bin survival game mechanics. Glad for the Palworld fans to finally have something to do in Palworld after six months, but the eight hours I spent playing it were eight hours too many. I dunno, I like for my games to do more than offer tepid edgelord takes on monster taming.

Pretty much, especially when people were trying to force it as some sort of Pokemon substitute and quickly grew bored. Y'know, like every other mon series they try to use as a substitute instead of enjoying its own spin like Yo-kai Watch or Dragon Quest Monsters.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Correction, in Brazil, SEGA simply never died lol.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:11 pm Reply with quote
BrazillianCara wrote:

This may be the most unflattering interpretation of paradox pokémon I have ever seen. I'm pretty sure a lot more thought was put into those than just being "lazy design" or "running out of ideas"... though they do could have done more with most of the future ones.

Fair enough, that was a little harsh. It is mostly the future ones I have the most beef with, a lot just look like "take a Pokemon... now what if they were a robot?" (not helped by how the shinies of all the future ones are just silver across the board). The past ones are much better (though there are some that I still think are pretty lazy like come the hell on GF Flutter Mane is just Misdreavus that let its hair grow out into little wings).
Freeman03

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:44 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
I just wanted to say your editorial about Nintendo’s secrecy/video game fandom was extremely well written, IMO. I agreed with pretty much all of it. I dearly wish there was a way to mitigate online harassment and trolling, but it seems so impossible.

Considering there was some buzz over Kevin having pronouns in his bio. Yeah, If nintendo built up hype, I can only imagine how much of a bloodbath that would be.
psh_fun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:51 pm Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:

I thought most of the backlash was from people who didn't like Chris Pratt cause he's a Christian which is why they got upset only about him and not Charlie Day also stealing a role from Charles Martinet or any of the other cast replacing their video game roles. I thought he did okay as a movie Mario since none of Mario's other movie or cartoon roles sounded like Martinet but the new voice in the Mario & Luigi trailer really stood out to me since it's trying to mimic Martinet
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:56 am Reply with quote
psh_fun wrote:
funkfoot wrote:

I thought most of the backlash was from people who didn't like Chris Pratt cause he's a Christian which is why they got upset only about him and not Charlie Day also stealing a role from Charles Martinet

The difference between Charlie Day and Chris Pratt is that Day actually sounds fun and does a good job of playing up Luigi as manic and cowardly. Pratt can only sound like a celebrity sleepwalking his way through a role for the sake of a paycheck. You don't need to be a Christian (or a member of the notedly-homophobic Hillsong church) to be horribly miscast in a pathetic and blatant attempt at stunt casting.

Also, I'm seeing more and more people trying to bring up the Chris Pratt thing; how 'bout we don't? I'm not interested in splitting hairs over why people didn't like him as Mario or whether people think he wasn't that bad, especially if folks are going to lean in on his religion for it.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:56 am Reply with quote
Still to this day I don't know how NITRO SUPER SONIC 20th ANNIVERSARY happened on 3rd September 2019 at Tokyo Dome City Hall.

We had: Takanori Nishikawa, Ayumi., Sotaro Itagaki, ELISA, Minori Chihara, Luna Haruna, Kanako Itou, Yuichi Ikuzawa, Minami Kuribayashi, Swinging Popsicle, Kazuhiro Watanabe, and Hassy, plus a Thunderbolt Fantasy puppet show for 2106 yen ticket price.
Flash33

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit that I was originally upset that Pokemon Sword/Shield wasn't gonna include all Pokemon, but nowadays I'm fine with games not including them all if it means giving more care and focus on the newer mons (whether or not they're actually properly balanced is another discussion). That said I never went out of my way to harass the devs on it, and I think the people who do that sort of thing need to grow up and take a step back to examine what's really important in the grand scheme of things.

As for the Sega Neptune interesting that it's coming out in Brazil of all places. You're also right in that SoA and SoJ didn't get along, with SoJ (the heads) constantly undermining most things that SoA (the branches) wanted to do. With all that bickering it's no wonder their consoles failed. Hopefully it at least has good games & the majority of BR fans can be mature about them unlike how they were for the announcement of Riot Games merging the NA & BR pro leagues next year into a conference like system like in the NFL, though with less teams competing in each*.

*To be fair it wasn't just BR fans being toxic as some NA fans were too, & while I share their feelings of annoyance & dislike verbally abusing & harassing people is going too far.

P.S. The article mentions Riviera coming out July 16 but the trailer thumbnail says it's coming out July 17.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2